Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

It DID occur to me y'all might think I'm pullin yer chain. Emphatic NO on that! You guys are DOING it and I RESPECT that, I'm not gonna blow smoke at cha. Yea, I'm lucky in that I'm getting a SWEET jump/kick on supplies, that don't mean a thing! I still gotta DO it!

Easy Brother! No one (least not me) figure you was blowin smoke. They just want to see what everyone else has going on. It's great to watch someone else's progress! I went through the same thing at first with these guys but had no camera to send pics at the time. Ordering a camera was in my 2nd big batch order of stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get some private messages with stuff these guys may have laying around and happy to help out a new guy to the hobby. It happened to me and I wasn't really all that new to the hobby - just been decades ago. That Santa Fe GP-38 loco in one of my PB pics came from Terry and was fully DCC and sound loaded. It's the best running dog in my fleet.

What really got me wound up is when I got that "big box of stuff the size of 2 baby coffins" in early Dec. My neighbor had a little circle track setup around his Christmas tree and had me bring over the engines to see if they still worked at all. Amazingly almost all of them did!!! That's when I made the commitment to have a fully operational loop by Christmas day. Ok, I missed that target by one day.
I knew that was a seriously aggressive goal to meet but like the saying goes "if you don't aim for something you'll shoot at anything".
Day after Christmas I was running a train! A long time friend in NC sent me and old DC power pack just to get me running.
All that stuff they sent to me was mostly stuff I left behind to my baby brother [half] when I went to live my Dad. By then I was all N scale anyway. A lot of the stuff that showed up I remembered very well.

That "big box" showed up within a few days of getting my Mom's little inheritance money. I figured Mom would want me to use it for something I want to do. I needed some clothes and took care of that. Train on after that! I called my brother and sister [halves] and even my step-dad to be sure they didn't have a problem with it. They all loved the thought and agreed - my step-dad even started crying when I talked to him about it. Suppose this is more a labor of love and remembrance - then again, I got my first train at age 5, so it's always been with me.

Now I'm bored. Maybe go for another flight later. I don't know.
E.

I don't know WHAT was goin on down here, that brick paintjob is downright creepy lookin, and the RED patch on the first wall...what's up with that?

Yeah, 86 that brick looking panel. I was going to ask about. Primer it and paint it would be my suggestion.

Good afternoon. It's 86 and mostly sunny, with a good chance of yellowjackets.
I was weedeating earlier, and unfortunately discovered a nest of them. I'm loaded up on the anti-swelling stuff, but still swollen, and painful. The weedeater is still laying where I dropped it, the little SOBs chased me all the way around the house. I'll go back after dark, and retrieve the tool. Funny thing, I've been watching that area all day, and still haven't seen the first bug flying around there. You don't suppose I gave them all rabies, and they died?

I was weedeating earlier, and unfortunately discovered a nest of them. I'm loaded up on the anti-swelling stuff, but still swollen, and painful. The weedeater is still laying where I dropped it, the little SOBs chased me all the way around the house. I'll go back after dark, and retrieve the tool. Funny thing, I've been watching that area all day, and still haven't seen the first bug flying around there. You don't suppose I gave them all rabies, and they died?

92 here but humidity is quite tolerable. Feels like 92 according to the WC.

You obviously aren't allergic else you'd be in the ER with a tube down your throat. As a former land surveyor, I have ran into those too many times. They will chase. A neat trick while running away is to change your elevation - either up or down hill, doesn't matter. They fly/chase on a flat horizontal plane and once you break that plane they back off because they've lost you. Wish they would have told me that when I was a green-horn surveyor!!! Worst time I got swarmed out of the blue. I didn't realize I had set the stake bag and tools right by their entry way. They chased me the better part of 1/4 mile through the woods. They didn't let up until I took a drop in elevation heading to the creek. The guy running the instrument happened to be watching me through the scope and said they were all over me. Our other buddy on the crew that day said he'd never seen someone run so fast in tangled woods. Best we could figure I got hit 47 times and they wanted to take me to the ER.
Unless you are a GA Tech post-grad going for your PhD I hate yellow jackets.
I got hit by a black hornet once and I swore I'd been shot. I think I would rather have been shot. Talk about itching, burning pain that lasts for several days!!

I don't know WHAT was goin on down here, that brick paintjob is downright creepy lookin, and the RED patch on the first wall...what's up with that?

A little voice told me,,,the bodies are behind the bricks!
images

Easy Brother! No one (least not me) figure you was blowin smoke. They just want to see what everyone else has going on. It's great to watch someone else's progress! I went through the same thing at first with these guys but had no camera to send pics at the time. Ordering a camera was in my 2nd big batch order of stuff.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get some private messages with stuff these guys may have laying around and happy to help out a new guy to the hobby. It happened to me and I wasn't really all that new to the hobby - just been decades ago. That Santa Fe GP-38 loco in one of my PB pics came from Terry and was fully DCC and sound loaded. It's the best running dog in my fleet.

What really got me wound up is when I got that "big box of stuff the size of 2 baby coffins" in early Dec. My neighbor had a little circle track setup around his Christmas tree and had me bring over the engines to see if they still worked at all. Amazingly almost all of them did!!! That's when I made the commitment to have a fully operational loop by Christmas day. Ok, I missed that target by one day.
I knew that was a seriously aggressive goal to meet but like the saying goes "if you don't aim for something you'll shoot at anything".
Day after Christmas I was running a train! A long time friend in NC sent me and old DC power pack just to get me running.
All that stuff they sent to me was mostly stuff I left behind to my baby brother [half] when I went to live my Dad. By then I was all N scale anyway. A lot of the stuff that showed up I remembered very well.

That "big box" showed up within a few days of getting my Mom's little inheritance money. I figured Mom would want me to use it for something I want to do. I needed some clothes and took care of that. Train on after that! I called my brother and sister [halves] and even my step-dad to be sure they didn't have a problem with it. They all loved the thought and agreed - my step-dad even started crying when I talked to him about it. Suppose this is more a labor of love and remembrance - then again, I got my first train at age 5, so it's always been with me.

Now I'm bored. Maybe go for another flight later. I don't know.
E.

I been talkin alotta smack about this and I'm sure y;all have seen em come and go! I was all over the net looking for THIS community, knew there were REAL people out there doing this but all I found was VERY 'ckicky', 'clannish' and down right un-helpful.

Genuine concern over surgeries and loss of treasured pets, traffic woes and impending Grandchildren...ha, HAAAA! S'good stuff!!!
(my PEOPLE!, I have FOUND you!!!)LOL

Truly a fine feeling to be had on these pages, I gush a bit but I'm comin off a 10 year bout of major depression/stress. This hobby and THIS forum in particular has helped me to really pull up out of a dive, I thank you all again.

"Jonesing' (LOL) for MY 'coffin' size package(s), got the neighbor enlisted for 'porch watch' when I'm not here, don't want anything to get 'lost' in transit! ("I don't like the look of those teenagers!") LOL

I been pushing pretty hard to get most of this done, the basic layout table area SHOULD be done so that I'll be laying track by the end of Aug.
Too close of a story in your last paragraph, almost word for word except the step-dad part, t was my SISTER that got misty eyed, my layout is also from, and a thanks to, my Mom. Da world, she's a funny place.

Imma go groove on the thunder storm for awhile and then go crash out.

Night All.

Yeah, 86 that brick looking panel. I was going to ask about. Primer it and paint it would be my suggestion.

Gonna frame out that wall with a header in it to hold the shelf. All that 3' shelf, I'm going to have all these 1 foot rips so I'll make a 4" high1' wide shelf on TOP of the 3' shelf along the wall for some elevation action. And/or rip them in half and cut em up for bridges and inclines.

Initiate chemical/biological warfare upon them!

Initiate chemical/biological warfare upon them!

The nest is at the inner end of a vent for my fuel oil tank. It is too long for the spray stuff to reach, and I don't think it would be smart to use a flamethrower in there...

OUCH! bummer, bummer, bummer! I have outstanding luck when it comes to those critters, I don't seem to bother them, they just look and go away. Been stung only 3-4 times in my entire life, I'm so not allergic a honey bee sting barely leaves a welt. Climbing a tree bow hunting and a bald faced hornet landed on my hand, looked at me and BIT me! No sting, just took a tiny chunk. Last summer got a Y.J. sting on the back of my calf, THAT one burned a bit! S'about it, very lucky. Walking around on the Game Area, 'Squirrlin' and come around the bend in the trail, inside a forsythia bush was THE biggest hornet nest I've ever seen. 3 feet across at the top and tapered down into the bush another 3, stopped me like a statue, MMMMMMMMMMMM was all I heard as I just backed away at the same pace(slow) I had advanced around the corner of the trail till I was back around the corner and POW, I was "weapon at the high port arms and BOOKIN"!!! No pursuit thank goodness, never been back to that section!

The nest is at the inner end of a vent for my fuel oil tank. It is too long for the spray stuff to reach, and I don't think it would be smart to use a flamethrower in there...

They got some wicked poison foam shooters on the market, try that. The foam might not spoil the fuel-oil. Heck just spray em with fuel oil! LOL

Good God Man! Do you have a table plan yet much less a track plan?
No doubt you are all in on this adventure!
Unless you have more electronics/electrical background than you let on, I wouldn't try hooking up all that NCE equipment right away. Start with the starter unit and get that working once you have some track down and completely "debugged". DCC is way picky and less forgiving about shorts and connections than the old DC stuff. I learned that the hard way. I was going to go hog-wild when I got my little inheritance but many here talked me down on some things - like boosters. Then again, I only have about 75-80 of track and can only run 2 engines on 2 different mainline loops. With a consist I often run 3 and still haven't tested the limit of the starter CAB. Actually, I think I have that configuration sitting on the tracks right now. Maybe I'll go up and run some trains.

I already got my beer taken care of for the day.
Actually, that about wiped out what I had left on my card so I'm done until my IRA withdrawal comes in.

I have some cars I may want to change couplers on. I suppose I could do that.
Really wish I had a better creative mind when it comes to this artistic stuff. I have plenty of scenery I could maybe do.
Suppose I could just ad-lib and put down some more grass ground cover. I do get tired of looking at that GA red clay crap.

E.

Oh, Aye, not even going to try to put it ALL down at once! Bit by bit, is the way, but I'll have it when I'm ready to add it. Want the account drained by the end of the year. No point in draggin it out, and NO advantage to be gained keeping it just sitting. If I get too much of the wrong thing I can trade it for what I really need! LOL

coffee_pot.jpg

Guess we'll get the coffee started today. Starting off at 51 degrees with a lot of smoke in the valley from forest fires.

Couldn't get to my computer over the weekend because of all of the construction tools and materials in the room. Completed the last of the flooring in the first flooring project. Still have tile to be put down in the foyer and master bathroom and new flooring in the master bedroom. Got all of the old trim removed and all of the new trim and baseboards installed over the weekend. The project is over half way done.

Good morning, we have 60 and sunny. Very light breeze, it is a beautiful day. The smoke has not made it here yet.

The project is over half way done.

half way? I thought you were almost done! I guess I will have to read a little more carefully!

half way? I thought you were almost done! I guess I will have to read a little more carefully!

I think he meant he was almost done getting all the space opened up and cleaned and ready for some framing before actual table construction begins.

Hey NG, have you subscribed to any mags yet?
http://mrhmag.com
Model Railroad Hobbyist is an electronic free one. The one I'm reading today has a great introduction to DCC cabs, boosters, wiring, etc.
E

Got some more work done today.
Pulled up all the tape from yesterday ground covering effort.
Put the trees and buildings back. One of the buildings needs some tightening on the joints so I glued it some. After it sets up I'll go light-proof it and paint the roof.
Swapped out couplers on some inter-modal cars I have so now they are finally compatible with everything else.
I don't know how much Kaydee pays people to put those teeny springs in the knuckles but I can almost promise it's not enough.
They must make a special tweezer just for that task. Man, talk about a patience tester!!!
Thank God I have a magnifier hood. No way I could have fixed those using reading glasses.

Having managed to figure out how to put those little springs back, if any of you guys have some Kaydee couplers with missing springs, don't throw them out. I'll take them.
E

Back