Sound Only Decoder?

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. I'm looking to put sound in the unpowered B unit of LGM's Stewart F9 set. Can anyone recommend a sound only decoder if there is such a beast? The Stewart should be an easy conversion, as the power pickups are already installed in the B unit. Thanks!

Use any sound decoder and just connect the sound and power. If you want you can run lights as well.

You'll have to MU like you would two powered units.

Is this what you're looking for...Soundtraxx DSX
http://tonystrains.com/products/soundtraxx_dsx.htm

I talked with Tony about the DSX after I posted this Friday (my computer at home crashed Fri night:( ). The only problem I see is that the Grande F9 had a Nathan M3 airhorn and it is only available in the DSX series with second generation prime mover sound (turbo), not the needed first generation... I'll probably end up using it anyway (with a different airhorn). Tony did have some great speaker recommendations for use in the Stewart B unit shell.

Anyone know of a good first gen EMD decoder with a Nathan M3? If I could find one, Chip's idea would work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exact horn/engine sound match-ups are always a problem. The BLI E-7 horn is actually from an E-5 or so they say. They try to claim that there aren't that many horns/whistles to record, but we know that there are collectors everywhere with exact horns. Maybe this is a recording issue...who knows! I suspect it is more of an economic issue with them.
FYI: I am trying to get organized enough to have the ARG back over before Christmas. You be interested??

Exact horn/engine sound match-ups are always a problem. The BLI E-7 horn is actually from an E-5 or so they say. They try to claim that there aren't that many horns/whistles to record, but we know that there are collectors everywhere with exact horns. Maybe this is a recording issue...who knows! I suspect it is more of an economic issue with them.
FYI: I am trying to get organized enough to have the ARG back over before Christmas. You be interested??

My problem is that while I probably wouldn't be to hardcore about the exact horn, Little Grande might just be...:D

I'm definitely interested in another ARG meet at your house. I still haven't given up on a meet where we visit area historical sites and eat out, but have had second thoughts because most of the sites are pretty tough to access.

... but have had second thoughts because most of the sites are pretty tough to access.

Are you trying to say that there are some old guys in the group?:D :D :p

I think Carey is coming over tomorrow and help me tie up some loose ends on the layout. I have been trying to figure out a good way to have some sort of an organized op session. It is still premature to expect one as nice as Glenn's, but maybe I can come up with something very soon. I miss our group sessions and hope to be ready in a couple of weeks. Will keep you posted on this.

Back