Critique my layout

Evan_H

Hello,

I'm planning an HO layout for a maximum 13' x 7'6" foot U-shape or L-shape table space backing against one wall. Will be using DCC steam locomotives.

Here's my concept. The minimum radius is 22" with #6 turnouts (#4 turnouts in the yard). I've included reverse loops to keep things interesting. The west area will be landscaped as mountains, and the east area will be landscaped as a train yard and station. I intend to re-draft this for flex track.

I was hoping for some feedback. I'm receptive to alternative ideas if this one has critical flaws.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ub_8h_13x7.png
    ub_8h_13x7.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 233
I like what you've got going. I'd try to work in a river/lake idea in the mountain region. If you're into putting in a brewery, I'd put it so that it uses that spur that ends.

I understand that you'll probably want to leave the middle area open so you can get in there. However, you might want to look at expanding the sides toward each other some. Make better use of that space. It looks like you've got 15 square feet of unused space that could be reduced to 8-10. Perhaps you might want to consider expanding your main line across the north side, utilizing a duck-under or something along those lines.

Hope that helps!

I've included reverse loops to keep things interesting.
What about a reversing loop makes it interesting to you? Usually a reversing loop is included so one can see both sides of a train. With a folded dog bone you get to see both sides of the train anyway. If you really want reversing I would suggest saving the space used for separate reversing tracks and just put crossovers on the "double track". That has the additional advantage of making them double purposed as a passing track.

I'm receptive to alternative ideas if this one has critical flaws.
I don't know that it has any critical flaws. The only "flaw" I see is that the run around track in the yard basically consumes most of the yard.

I would call this a rail-fan type layout where you mostly just want to watch the trains run. It boils down to a loop of track with a small yard and two industrial sidings. I would detach one end of the reversing loop track and use it for another industry, and restructure the yard to service those three industries.

You didn't say what sort of station. If it is passenger is there any reason you are not putting it directly on the main and saving that space next to the yard for something else?

What size steam locomotives are you planning on running? You will be able to run small to medium sized power, buy anything larger than a 4-6-4 is going to look too large for this layout, especially with 22" radius and #6 turnouts. Try rethinking with a minimum of 30.

You will not have a lot of room for any yard on this, perhaps think about a staging yard that is below the layout for keeping some cars off the layout to keep things fresh.

Also your amount of trackage seems to be high, almost spaghetti-bowl, but I do like the folded dogbone with the crossover however.

This is I think a good start, might want to do a few more iterations to see what works and does not work.

I think you should add more industry and sidings. Running trains with no switching can get pretty boring very fast.

I think you should add more industry and sidings. Running trains with no switching can get pretty boring very fast.

This is what I was thinking also. You need destinations for your cars that will add realism and purpose for your trains. Good start though.

Back