My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

What's your thinking on that Dr. John? I should add that I plan to move my shelves full of train stuff under the layout at some point, so I have room for future expansion. The skirt will help to hide the clutter.

In my experience, skirts become dust catchers and snag easily. I ended up removing mine. Plus, it's more difficult to move stuff under the layout unless put on a rod of some sort. While I have not tried it, I saw an article in Model Railroader where wooden panels with magnets were used, painted the same color as the facia board. The panels hide clutter but can be removed easily. Framed masonite or thin plywood would work well.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree if you can afford the facia boards. Skirts are cheaper and in my case necessary for the portability factor on the modules that go to shows.
The camera "angle" is closer on one of these than the other but.
no skirts
horizontal%20long%20shot%20small.JPG

skirts
horizontal%20W%20skirts%20small.JPG

Dr. John, good points. Thanks for sharing those pics Iron Horseman. I agree that an extended fascia with clip on or magnet attachments would be much cleaner looking, and still good for portability. I will probably go with Hardboard, which is light, smooth on one side, and what I used for the fascia anyway. Thanks all.

Hey Flying Tiger...once again, just fantastic work man and as I mentioned before that better backdrops would improve the layout greatly...they really did!!!

This subject has been racking my brain over the last 24 hours as I know how I'm going to do most of my layout, but the scenic divider is still a BIG question mark.

Now, as you know I am in the planning stages of my layout and I have a couple of questions for you. And trust me, I researched and have found nothing on YouTube about this subject...Scenic Dividers and Backdrops...on Youtube there are plenty of vids about backdrops that are completely behind the layout but nothing about how to mount one like yours or like mine will be...down the middle...or a Scenic Divide. If someone knows of a place where there is info on this, please let me know!!!

So thats my first question: What did you use and how did you mount that divider or backdrop down the middle of the layout like that?

My second issue is that after I mount my backdrop, I have been wondering what to put on it. I've looked at all the backdrop websites and if you get something nice its going to cost quite a bit of money. Thats all there is to it. I read this thread and how you sought out the pics for yourself, used Photoshop and then printed them to 8.5 x 11 inch paper and doublestick taped them to the backdrop...how did you go about making sure they were to scale, etc? Because honestly, I think this is the better way to go about doing it...is it possible to do without Photoshop because thats not my cup o'tea. Please tell more about this process.

Thanks...and once again, your layout is the bomb.

Hey led. I actually saw how to do the backdrop in an article in Model Railroader at some point.
I found a local plastic distributor, where I could buy 4 x 8 sheets of styrene. I got one sheet of 1/16" styrene, and cut two pieces for the backdrop, then glued them together. I very crudely cut out a slot in the base foam core to simply slip the backdrop into. The backdrop actually leans a little bit towards the small town side, so I eventually need to do something about that.

As far as the images I printed out (which I believe is a much better, and much cheaper alternative than the expensive stuff you can buy), you just need to figure out about how large you want a building to be on the backdrop, say 6" across for example, then use some kind of photo editor to size the image to that width. You can do that wit a lot of programs, but I had to do quite a bit of editing on the photos to get them to look right, such as straightening them out, removing stuff I didn't want in the image, combining photos, etc. Gimp is a free software, similar to photoshop you can download to do that. The learning curve is actually not very big to do the couple of things I mentioned.

Hope that helps. Make sure you post a link to your layout on here at some point.
Thanks

Hey led. I actually saw how to do the backdrop in an article in Model Railroader at some point.
I found a local plastic distributor, where I could buy 4 x 8 sheets of styrene. I got one sheet of 1/16" styrene, and cut two pieces for the backdrop, then glued them together. I very crudely cut out a slot in the base foam core to simply slip the backdrop into. The backdrop actually leans a little bit towards the small town side, so I eventually need to do something about that.

As far as the images I printed out (which I believe is a much better, and much cheaper alternative than the expensive stuff you can buy), you just need to figure out about how large you want a building to be on the backdrop, say 6" across for example, then use some kind of photo editor to size the image to that width. You can do that wit a lot of programs, but I had to do quite a bit of editing on the photos to get them to look right, such as straightening them out, removing stuff I didn't want in the image, combining photos, etc. Gimp is a free software, similar to photoshop you can download to do that. The learning curve is actually not very big to do the couple of things I mentioned.

Hope that helps. Make sure you post a link to your layout on here at some point.
Thanks

Okay...cool...the cutting of the slot in the foamboard is actually how I had planned on doing it. Glad to know that I wasn't crazy in thinking that would be the easiest and best way!!! Do you recommend the styrene over wall panel hard board? Thats what I was planning on using. And thanks for the advice on the photos...I think this is the way I will go about it.

And of course, I plan to post photos as I go along. I started a thread in the Layout Design and Construction Forum...which is where I will be posting the pics.

Thanks for the inspiration and your advice. Pretty sure I have the process for every step tackled in my mind and the layout pretty much envisioned as well. TTYL.

I used styrene before I ever heard of hardboard. I had some issues with the first adhesive I used for the styrene (can't remember what it was unfortunately), and it started coming apart. So I got hardboard, and was going to put it back to back since one side is smooth and one rough, but it was too thick back to back to fit in the slot that was already cut, and was not going to be enlarged. So I found another adhesive for the styrene (sorry, don't remember what that was either) and it has held ever since.

Oh, and the styrene was much more flexible, but if you are doing a straight backdrop, the hardboard will probably be fine. I used it for my fascia.

Brought the layout to it's first Train Show over the weekend, and it was well received.
I managed to paint some clouds on the backdrop in time for the show as well. The layout ran great AT HOME the day before the layout, but had a few glitches at the show with seeming dirty track and some dead spots on spurs, so I couldn't do much switching. I will be adding more feeders to the the track around the layout soon to solve some of that. But overall, great fun. In addition to the few pictures I had time to take below, I posted a link to a facebook page where a native Englishman had posted some pics he took as well. Met him at the show for the first time. My son is seen operating at train.

IMG_0165 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0166 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0167 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0168 - Copy.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=549654895123300&id=432968100125314

Hey, its Led again...glad you were able to take the layout out for a show. How was the response?

I'm thinking of going either 4x9 or 5x9 depending on what I am able to obtain. How did you go about making a 5x9 surface? Lowes said they know they can get 4x9, after I asked about 4x10 and they said no. But I didnt think to ask about 5x9 so Im not sure what they will say about that till tomorrow. I think I remember you saying to attached two 2.5x5 tables? What tables are you talking about specifically?

Led, I built a frame with 1 x 6 lumber. You can buy this in at least 10' lengths and cut down to size. Then I overlaid with 2" foam core for the top. This you can only get in as large as 4 x 8, so you will have to use more than one sheet to completely cover the surface.

You can see in the quick pics below how the layout is built. I drilled holes through the long sides of the layout where it mates up while it was clamped together, and glued pegs in one side, so the layout mates up perfectly every time when I put it together.

The response was very positive at the show. Many were impressed with both the detail, and amount of operation I squeezed into 5 x 9. The most rewarding comments were from those that were inspired to do something similar for thei own first layout, after seeing this one in person. Much like you. Thanks for asking!

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Thanks for the response, once again. I'm currently debating on going 4x10 or 5x10...I know the whole radius argument, but I model a period of shorter diesels so its not a big thing. I guess Im not too wild about having to cut the extra segments of foamboard and plywood (that you didnt appear to use) to make up the entire area of a 5x10 frame. So, I'm leaning hard toward a 4 foot wide arrangement so I only have to add one piece each of foam and ply.

Which kinda leads to another question...where you nervous about digging into the foam without a plywood base underneath? I would love to avoid the plywood under the foam, but I'm scared to dig out my river and go through the bottom of the foam board. For a 5x9, how often did you place your feeders?

Back