My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

Hello! I have previously been posting images from my layout on Trainboards, but I kept having trouble uploading pictures, including the trackplan, so I am migrating here instead.
Long story short - armchair modeler from about age 10 to age 40. Two years ago finally started my own layout, after having read MR for 30 years, as well as multiple books on "how to." Learned some great stuff. Was able to replicate some of it, and come fairly close in some other areas.

The layout is far from perfect, and still not completely finished (need to do the backdrop), but I and my son are pretty pleased. If you have any suggestions, or notice something unprototypical (there are a few I already know of), please let me know! Thanks for looking.
I will start with a rough track plan.

Drawing1.jpg
It has a two sided backdrop separating two scenes. A small farming town, with an Amtrak station and a few industries, and a big city industrial area. These are my two favorite things on layouts, so I incorporated both. I live in MN, so that is the area modeled. The BNSF mainline is about 5 miles from my house, which is convenient for train watching! I have one sneak off track for future expansion to a yard for staging and switching, and the layout actually consists of 2 2.5' x 9' tables, so it can come apart and travel to a train show, which I have yet to do, but am really looking forward to.

Attachments

• Trackplan3.jpg
    Trackplan3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,263
Here is a long view of the small town side.
IMG_0702.JPG

Two industries on the close side of town are the Cement Plant and a lumber yard.
IMG_0675.JPGIMG_0676.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 950
First up is an old warehouse that seems to change owners every couple of years. Directly across the street is a team track that can take Boxcars, Flatcars, and even hoppers if need be.
IMG_0689.JPGIMG_0690.JPGIMG_0691.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

Next door to that is American Foods Inc. I completely scratch-built this structure. It's not based on any prototype. Please overall, I learned a few lessons for sure.
IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0104 - Copy.JPGIMG_0103 - Copy.JPG

Next door to that is Mason City Steel Supply. This was a Walthers Lakeville warehouse kit I had to modify to fit. It takes steel coil cars mostly, with some flats and gons as needed.
IMG_0106 - Copy.JPGIMG_0695.JPG

The end of this side contains a large grain elevator, a overflow yard for containers (these need to be on trailers, I just haven't had time to build them yet), and a scrap yard. The overpass is a nice scenic divider between the two halves.
IMG_0696.JPGIMG_0697.JPGIMG_0698.JPGIMG_0699.JPG

Wow! Outstanding scenery and details. This is one of the nicest "island" layouts I've seen - great work and thanks for sharing the photos. :)

Okay, seriously this is your first layout?
You've managed to create some very credible scenes that really evoke that "hey I've been there before!" feeling!
I'll second the Doc's comment above, well done!
So just curious where are you in MN?

Thanks for the compliments. Like I said, I have been reading how to do it for 30 years! I have seen the methods change quite a bit over the years. Things have become refined to the point that instead of a couple of diamonds in the rough when you see layouts, now, I think most layouts look pretty good due to new techniques that have come out in the last decade and a half or so. Not to mention great new scenery materials that can make anyone look like an artist. I still went through some trial and error, and there are many things on the layout that are far from perfect.
Rico, I am in Ramsey, in the Twin Cities area. Are you nearby?

What a fantastic looking layout! I'm still in the process of working on my first layout, 4x8 "island" style as well.

Welcome to the forums! Nicely sceniced layout! Inspiration for anyone who only has room for a 5x9 empire.

Back