Wpf 8/11 - 8/16

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Uh..... Rico, Jeffrey....... You guys have been using an old thread... How about one for this week instead? :eek:;)

I have little by little been completing the wall to be used for a mold to make the sides of the Octagon Blacksmith's Shop in Alloway, NY. I will end up a few rows of cobblestone short from the prototype, but don't tell on me. No way I can find stones it seems that would be perfect for the 4.2 inch courses, so mine will be about 4.75" instead......

MoldMaking03w.png

MoldMaking04w.png

I hope to pour the silicon rubber mold mid next week.

A recent project of mine was to build an F7B slug with a chopped roof. I used parts from an Athearn F7B and a Proto 1000 F3A.
First, the parts from the P1K F3A:
Motor, truck halves, side frames, wheels, flywheels, shafts, worms.
Now the parts from the Athearn F7B:
Body shell, worm housing clips, truck bottom clips, gears, frame.
The trucks were assembled and placed in the frame, the shafts with worms were put in and the the worm housing clips snapped in place. A small piece of rubber was placed in the motor well to support the motor at the height needed for the shafts to be level between the flywheels and trucks. The motor was laid on it's side so it would stick up as little as possible. The shafts were inserted into the flywheels and the motors position adjusted so the shaft runs were equal then the motor was secured in place with hot glue. That's the mechanical part done. Two jumper wires were run between the trucks and a Digitrax DH123 decoder hardwired in for motor control. Making the body was a simple matter of cutting away a strip between the portholes and the roof line of an old Athearn Hi-F F7B shell then joining the cut down body and roof together. The portholes and most of the gaps between body and roof were filled with hot glue. Excess glue was cut away and everything was smoothed out. A layer of masking tape was applied to the sides of the body and painted flat black. The paint is acrylic and soaked through the tape insuring the tape adhered well to the body. The fans and exhaust stacks on the roof were cut away and the area sanded smooth then it too got the tape and paint treatment.

DSCN2507.jpg

DSCN2504.jpg

Click here for a video of a test run.

The unit runs very well and is extremely quiet. It can pull a dozen cars on it's own but since it's a 'slug' it'll only be used as added pulling power.

Back