Another WTH Ebay Moment

If you are going to try and sell something on ebay for $34 dollars and change, do ya think you should take the $1.59 price tag off 1st??? :rolleyes:
Here

If you are going to try and sell something on ebay for $34 dollars and change, do ya think you should take the $1.59 price tag off 1st??? :rolleyes:
Here

Wow look at that! I guess they are "vintage" toys, very collectible. He should be asking $3400 instead of $34.

I think that's an Allegheny.. the smokebox does not look like a Big Boy's.

Also Charles, I don't see any reason why that loco could not be fixed and shined up. If I somehow won it, I wouldn't throw it away.

Look at the price being asked for this beat up old brass big boy. I noticed it has a couple of watchers, I bet they're interested to see if anyone will bite on this one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ARTICULATED-MODEL-TRAIN-HO-BRASS-LOCOMOTIVE-/300979571257

There's "No damage" though! LOL

Watchers just want to see if there truly is a sucker born every minute!
Needs paint & decals, probably a remotor, and they want the same money that I can get 2 plastic ones for? I dont think so. I wonder if it comes with the engine house?:rolleyes:

That doesn't look like a big boy to me. It looks a lot like a N&W steamer, and I think the maker might be Akane, judging from the open worm gearing. It could also be an earlier model from Tetsudo. I'd need it in my hands to be sure.

The seller knows nothing about it, and says so. Their reasoning is if it's brass it must be worth a ton. They'll find out soon enough. Even so don't let looks fool you. It isn't worth a grand, but it is quite fixable and with a little detail part updating, re-motor and regear it would make a nice fixer-upper! I'd give $250-350.00 for it if I was in the market for such a thing. These old models are surprisingly well made and they are both good runners and good pullers. There are even a few sleepers out there that are actually worth this much, as they are early pilot models or handbuilts done by then fledgling manufacturers. Such pieces command high prices on the collectors market (I don't beleive this is one of those).

Alan, its a 2-8-8-4, which makes it a Yellowstone. It definitely looks like an Akane from around 1962. However, the tender isn't the right one for it. It should be a centipede type. There are also no rivets on the side of the tender, which makes me think it may be scratchbuilt.

And you're right about it. With some new details, paint, decals and a new motor, it can stand with any of the brass. But I do have to say I don't think that's it worth the price that you quoted. I'd have to say $175-$250.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey
Akane did a B&O EM-1 (also a 2-8-8-4) about that time, and they had welded (seamless) tenders on them. Thats my guess. If it is, 250.00 is about all I'd go on it.

Looking over the pictures, there are no rivets on the cab, so it very well could be an EM-1, not that I'm an EM-1 expert, I ain't!

But there has been damage to it. The pilot is bent down, so there's no telling what other damage has been done. Did it by any chance take a dive? (rhetorical question of course)

Look at how it is shipped - "Shipping within the USA: $3.95 for the first train, & $1.00 per each additional train - in a padded, manila envelope at buyer's risk."

Padded envelope???? Buyers risk???

There also is a free promotional shipping option. It's very misleading and contradicting. This guy needs to spend some time overhauling his ad.

I thought by his address, he might be "somewhere out back o' the black stump", where having a model train at all would be rare, but in fact it's in Darwin, the Capital of the Northern Territory.

Back