Good Switching layout examples?

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
Ok, not having a layout to practice my skills on is killing me. Space will be limited, since in the next year I will probably be moving into an apartment. The 4x8 bores me, although it might be a good option. Then I thought.. "I have switchers, I have rolling stock, why not a switching layout?"

The problem is I have never even designed one of these before. I thought about cutting a 4x8 into two 2x8 sections and creating a "L" shaped switching layout. Here's a few things I want to include if applicable to a switching layout.

>Small town industrial setting
>Small engine facility
>Chemical facility (walthers interstate oil)
>rail/truck terminal (I have the city classics kit)
>A couple of back ground industries like warehouses to spot box cars at.
>Lumber yard
>Grain elevator
>Finally a small 3 to 4 track yard to interchange cars in and out.

Straight DC power will be the most likely source of power. I realize these industries will have to be small, so I only want to spot 1-2 cars at each. Any feed back will be great!

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'd start by Googling for "track plans". I've done this and looked at a lot of track plans over the past couple months as I've started designing my layout. Eventually I found one that I liked as a starting point, and created an Xtrkcad model of it. Then I started changing things. Looking at a bunch of different track plans gave me ideas, it showed me some things that were possible (and others that weren't), and it helped me narrow down the basic look I wanted to have.

There are a lot of switching layouts out there and I think it likely you'll find something that you can use as a starting point. Even if it's on a single shelf, all you have to do is take one of the tracks and extend it "around the corner" to get to the other leg of your "L".

Edit: posting elsewhere I happened to run across this shelf plan which looks pretty neat:

mod_2_10.gif

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been browsing around quite a bit for the past couple of days. I figured I would post to see if anyone has their own input on a layout that I described.

-Jeff

Some random samples of switching plans: http://home.online.no/~steinjr/trains/modelling/

If you look down along the page, there is an L shaped plan inspired by a plan by Robert Beaty partway down the page - it is made of two 9x2 foot sections put together in an L - not that different from an L made by two 8x2 foot sections.

Might give you some ideas, if nothing else.

Smile,
Stein

From the credit where it is due department, that is my very modest modification of Jonathan Jones' great-looking HO switching layout that was featured in the May 2001 Model Railroader. His original version is also in the recent 102 Track Plans book.

My changes were just to make operating a little more realistic and straightforward.

This may help you start. I plan to incorporate a slightly larger version of this on my home layout:
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project15.htm
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/layouts/gc15/project15-trackplan.htm

This is a switching puzzle, not a representation of switching in a small town.

In my opinion, Craig Bisgeier put it pretty well in his discussion of the Timesaver: these things are standalone games - they were never intended to be used as the track plan for a town or industry on a model railroad layout.

Smile,
Stein

I downloaded the Atlas right track 10 design software and mocked something up with that. For some reason it won't let me save it as an image file so I can show you guys

This is a switching puzzle, not a representation of switching in a small town.

In my opinion, Craig Bisgeier put it pretty well in his discussion of the Timesaver: these things are standalone games - they were never intended to be used as the track plan for a town or industry on a model railroad layout.

Smile,
Stein

So? Why not build challenging puzzles into the actual layout? What something what intended for and what someone wants to use it for are often not the same thing :)

So? Why not build challenging puzzles into the actual layout? What something what intended for and what someone wants to use it for are often not the same thing :)

Golf involves hitting a smallish ball. And tennis involves hitting a smallish ball. You certainly can hit a golf ball with a tennis racquet, or a tennis ball with a golf club, but that does not necessarily mean that it a brilliant idea to use a golf ball when you play tennis, or a tennis ball when you play golf.

If your goal is to simulate switching in a small town in a somewhat realistic way (which seems to be the original poster's goal), it is not very clear that creating a puzzle switching game is a good way of achieving that goal.

There are many ways of creating small switching layouts that create challenges without being a "combination of Rubiks cube and a Time Trial", as Craig so eloquently put it.

Lance Mindheim has a series of books (which you can find e.g. on Amazon) about how to design, how to build, and how to operate a small switching layout based on prototypical practices.

Smile,
Stein

Hereb is a very good switching layout for you, which will keep you busy foe a while - if you have more space extend the layout to the left by 24" x 36" across a street, and have another industry beyond the crossing

Hereb is a very good switching layout for you, which will keep you busy foe a while - if you have more space extend the layout to the left by 24" x 36" across a street, and have another industry beyond the crossing

Why the crossing on the right if a switch there could do the same thing?

Why the crossing on the right if a switch there could do the same thing?

I have seen that trackplan pop up from time to time and have often wondered the same thing. It seems like the "frog" of the crossing and the frog of the switch are the same number, so a switch should work there too. Also, accessing the crossing track requires an extra back up move if you use the runaround. I think the crossing is there for visual interest only.

Overall, I've liked that plan and it would even be better if it were lengthened; maybe in the runaround area.

Here's a quicky revision of that plan. The plan was drawn 9" X 78" like the original. If it was 10"-12" wide a couple more spurs could be added on the bottom side for more industries or yard tracks. As an old head RR civil engineer said "If it's on paper, the lines are nothing more than wet noodles"! LOL

This is mine: (12' x 2' (actually a bit under 21")) in HO:

205563_10150207983136240_515426239_8312735_835385_n.jpg

My criteria was aiming something a bit more akin to realistic operation of a switching area, meaning several industries, a runaround and an interchange track.

The layout includes a runaround that handles 4 50' cars, a lead at one end that can accomodate the engine and entire contents of the runaround (an old layout I had was based on a track plan from model railroader that had only room for the engine and one car on any lead tracks near the edge of the layout. Let's just say it was not very flexible operationally to move one car at a time)), 5 industries (one with 2 tracks serving it), an interchange track, a service track for the switcher to park and and there's enough room for each industry to not be cramped and have a little bit of scenic elements around them.

251578_10150320265021240_515426239_9362803_5269308_n.jpg

284227_10150320264921240_515426239_9362802_5556989_n.jpg

Back