• Bar Mills Ox-it

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • GLEAM

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • rubbing alcohol

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

OCN Guy

It's been a while since we talked cleaning track. I just did a search on the last thread, and thought I'd revisit this.
How has everyone been battling the black Gunk battle? Anyone have favorite solutions?
How's been the long term effects of the "Gleam" method? Anyone have any problems with it? I'm a little reluctant to do anything abrasive to my track!

I typically use rubbing alcohol on the corner of an old t shirt. I've only had to do that after doing some form of scenic work around the track. Otherwise I don't really have to clean my track. If something is really bad I use the old fashioned Bright Boy. I know it's an abrasive, but I'm not scared!:)

normally I just use a cleaning car, if that won't work (i.e. the tracks need cleaning so bad the locomotive won't get far with the cleaning car), I use a soft cloth and (almost*) pure alcohol.

for my G scale layout sometimes also sanding paper if need be, but that is really only if the other options don't cut it.

*it's 75% so not quite pure...

I GLEAMed my track back in 2006 and all I have to do is give the track a quick wipe with a clean cloth if I haven't run any trains in a while.

On the black gunk issue, if you use nickel silver track you're going to have black gunk develop no matter what cleaning method you use. The gunk is caused by oxidation and there's nothing you can do to prevent it short of sealing the layout in plastic and pumping out the air and replacing it with argon gas.

In my opinion, there is no better way than gleaming!
As Jeffrey states, only a simple wipe when I haven't ran any trains for some time.

A factor that isn't often debated when it comes to track and cleaning is what kind of locomotives that is used!
If you have four axle diesels or steamers with maybe ten axles to pick up current, then the cleaning isn't as critical.
Especially if you run them at warp speed around the layout.....
The same goes if you have DC or DCC without sound!
If, on the other hand, you have small 0-6-0 switchers with sound that has to be able to creep, then there is a very big demand for clean tracks!
The former type is probably why you often see comments with "I haven't ever cleaned my tracks".....
Sure, but if anyone else tries one of their locos on that layout I guess it would be a different story.....
The best example of reliable operations must be Märklin three rail AC!
It looks awful with the big flanges and studded rail, but, it works every time!
If you like to have finer details and so on, the price is maintenance!
That is why I have tried my hardest to minimize that, to be able to enjoy running trains instead of cleaning tracks......

What sort of cleaning cars do people use? When I was a kid and running HO my dad modified a flatcar to have an adjustable length of masonite dragging along the rail. I'm not sure it worked flawlessly as I still recall having to bring out the eraser from time to time. I'm concerned about how well this system would work with N scale though seeing as there's so much less weight and thus friction. I'm intrigued by the motorized vacuum/sand/polish cars that Tomix have made, as being able to slowly drive over trouble areas seems to be a better system than having to do multiple loops or drive the train back & forth over the one area. I'd probably have bought one already if they didn't have Rapido couplers.

Has anyone got experience with these? Is the motorized pad system just a novelty?

I just picked up a CMX clean machine in HO at a train show yesterday for $109. For a first cleaning I used lacquer thinner (aggressive). For more frequent use I will probably use rubbing alcohol or goo gone. The clean machine is made of solid brass and is quite heavy. It's springs put even pressure on the track cleaning pad. Not cheap but very well made. It requires a pretty powerful engine to pull it especially when it goes over a re-railer. It comes with cleaning pads and replacement o-rings and kadee couplers and metal wheels.
-Art

* Brite Boy *

Why dump chemicals/liquids etc on your ballasted & weathered track?

I have 3 old Athern Trainmasters that I pull a modified gondola. It has a chunk of Brite Boy glued to the bottom of a box that rides in a hole cut in the gondolas floor. The box can move up n down as needed. The inside of the box has several tire weights for extra rubbing power. 4-5 times around the mainline and its clean.

I still use the good old eraser haha. I didn't kno there's other, better options out there. Plus I don't clean my tracks too often

---
- Sent from my phone

I find that goo gone leaves a deposit on the rails that attracts dirt all over again.It also gets it up in the wheelsets. Once the track is clean with the goo gone, or whatever, a drop of ATF on one driver on each side of an engine does a remarkable job of keeping my track clean. I have a cheap version of the brass cleaning car with a serrated little wheel that gets a little rag wrapped around it which frequently falls off. ( grr) It works OK, sort of. You get what you pay for, sometimes less.

What sort of cleaning cars do people use? When I was a kid and running HO my dad modified a flatcar to have an adjustable length of masonite dragging along the rail. I'm not sure it worked flawlessly as I still recall having to bring out the eraser from time to time. I'm concerned about how well this system would work with N scale though seeing as there's so much less weight and thus friction. I'm intrigued by the motorized vacuum/sand/polish cars that Tomix have made, as being able to slowly drive over trouble areas seems to be a better system than having to do multiple loops or drive the train back & forth over the one area. I'd probably have bought one already if they didn't have Rapido couplers.

Has anyone got experience with these? Is the motorized pad system just a novelty?

I love using mine. I use an engine on both end that have rapido couplers so I have a steady push pull thing going. Run it several times around and then park them off on a siding until needed again.

I use rubbing alcohol, the 70% stuff since the 100% is prescription only and my doctor won't accept clean track and wheels of my model trains as a viable excuse for him to give me a prescription for it. Paint stripping and cleaning up surfaces before soldering is some other uses I have for it. Don't know how I'd live withing isopropyl alcohol.

Yet, now I've read about the 'gleam method', I am keen to give it a go. Sounds promising.

Other methods I've used and learn't from are track rubbers, goo gone and pencil led.

Track rubbers are ok, but have the side effect of leaving rubbish around the track that later turns into more gunk on the rail (and wheel pick ups). It can damage point blades on turnouts and wears the rail. My club has something that does seem ok as a rubbing tool. It looks and feels like one of those foam sanding blocks. It is just abrassive enough to loosen gunk but not hard enough to damage track.

Goo gone seemed ok at first but it did leave too much goo around. I found the rubbing alcohol to be cleaner yet doing the same job. It does work though and if it suits some people then stick with it.

Now, pencil lead! Pencil lead is just graphite. Same stuff Kadee will sell you as dry lubricant powder. Graphite is conductive and shields metal from oxidization. I used to use brass track which took me ages to clean up at the begining of each session using both abrassive rubbers and serious attention with a foam cloth soaked in isopropyl alchol. The pencil lead (graphite powder) worked wonders in keeping brass track clean and conductive. The down side was, of course, it also made the rail very slippery. Real shame as it it great for the cleaning issue. Some people sware by pencil lead, but I have noticed they run very short narrow gauge trains with no gradients.

None the less, pencil lead is a good alternative for the poor man or the stingy man for lubricating couplers and axle tips. That's all I use it for now. I just thought I'd mention it for completeness.

In future I will try out the gleam method. I like the idea of shinny railheads as that is prototypical. I am worried it might reduce traction though and this is something I'll watch closely. Which reminds me, an account from the AMRM (Australian Model Railway Magazine) review team spoke of locos losing traction after the team finally got around to cleaning the track on their gradient test section. While dirty, engines could haul a decent load up the hill, but once cleaned the drawbar power noticably dropped off, even to the point of wheel spinning is some cases. They were supprised to find that the lose of conductivity was less of a problem than the lose of traction.

I am interested to read the views of experienced track cleaners in relation to conductivity versus traction.

One last thing, I haven't tried either Walh's hairclipper oil or ATF, but people say wonderfully things about them. And the balsa or masonite cleaning cars are raved about by some. Personally I am not sure which is best. I will continue to experiment.

PaulB

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get 90 percent isopropyl alcohol at a pharmacy over the counter. Grocery stores always have the 70%. I have to clean a lot of glass prior to gluing it and it makes a big difference.

I love using mine. I use an engine on both end that have rapido couplers so I have a steady push pull thing going. Run it several times around and then park them off on a siding until needed again.
What sort of lifetime do you get out of the pads? I've read that they wear out quickly and end up costing a lot of money in replacements. That brass CMX car looks as though you could just make your own, although the same could probably be done for the Tomix cars without much difficulty.

I'm thinking of using the Bar Mills Ox-it.

I'm just too reluctant to spend $100 on a cleaning car... I keep thinking that (once my N scale layout is operational) buying some kind of cotton fabric and bolting it under a boxcar will have the same effect...

Right now I'm going out of my mind trying to keep my HO scale track clean enough to let the Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher running! (Christmas layout)

What sort of lifetime do you get out of the pads? I've read that they wear out quickly and end up costing a lot of money in replacements. That brass CMX car looks as though you could just make your own, although the same could probably be done for the Tomix cars without much difficulty.

They are just stick on 1000g discs( if we are talking the same car) I buy the sheet from harbor freight in extra extra fine, then cut them out and stick them on myself.

Back