Christmas Trees, Trains and More

I was going to ask if the train on the inside figure 8 was the same as in the still photos, but I see it is. My wife trying really hard to please me purchased a bunch of items, that were umm questionable, including some Polar Express non-scale stuff I already had in scale version. Fortunately she is fine with me returning things. One I debated for a long time was the Winter Wonderland Express. Looks a lot like yours only the locomotive is white. I decided to keep it as it can go around the smaller curves.
1923150-01.jpg

I was going to ask if the train on the inside figure 8 was the same as in the still photos, but I see it is.

One I debated for a long time was the Winter Wonderland Express. Looks a lot like yours only the locomotive is white. I decided to keep it as it can go around the smaller curves.
1923150-01.jpg
Mine is Lionel's Santa's Flyer RTR Set. Yours looks like the same set with a differnt paint scheme, I think you will be very happy with it!
Mine was the second Lionel train set I aquired when I switched from HO trains under my Christmas tree. I puchased it 11/13/12 from MB Klein. I love this little set and I bought all three add on cars Lionel made for it. It has run countless hours! It still puffs smoke and runs like new.
1704490731367.png

My wife trying really hard to please me purchased a bunch of items, that were umm questionable, including some Polar Express non-scale stuff I already had in scale version. Fortunately she is fine with me returning things.
Bless her heart, you have a wonderful wife!

My first set was the RTR Polar Express set. I have three of them now. Each one is a little differnt. I love them all! My newest one runs under my wife's christmas tree. I need to get some photos of that, maybe even a video.

I love the scale stuff, but the minimum curve is the sticking point. I already have the Christmas Zephyr that requires O72. No room for another. I hope to get my layout up this year. I have O48, O60, O72, O84 and O96 track and space to use them all. I might be tempted to buy a scale version of the Polar Express, if I can find one!

Great Thread Louis!

Since today is the Feast of Nicholas of Myra,
View attachment 177728
This is an Orthodox Icon of Nicholas...the man who's life "we" celebrate today. Myra, is located in the Western part of Asiatic Turkey. We forget just how large Asia is. Nicholas died on December 6, in the year 326 AD.
View attachment 177729
Our Advent wreath and candles last Sunday.
View attachment 177730
Molly hiding under tree. You can't see me. 😼
I would have watched this thread more closely if I knew there were pictures including cats

😀 Dave LASM

Mine is Lionel's Santa's Flyer RTR Set. Yours looks like the same set with a different paint scheme
I believe you are right. I do like your tank car's scheme better than mine.

I might be tempted to buy a scale version of the Polar Express, if I can find one!
I have recently found a few of the cars for fairly cheap. Normally they are $200-400 depending if they have the sound or not. There are two sets, one with black roof and the other with white roof. For example:
1. This would be a normal price for the Hobo Car . OOOH, says only 1 left. And I don't believe it. I lied, the other three they had "on special" and in stock the other day are all gone.
2. This is an ok price for the RPO.
3. Here is a good price for one of the Sleepers with the black roof. Wish I would have gotten mine at that price. White roof is more expensive.

I have O48, O60, O72, O84 and O96 track and space to use them all.
Hmmm, Need to start getting the smaller loops O36 and O45. Right now my smallest is O54 the min for the Polar Express.

Last edited:
I believe you are right. I do like your tank car's scheme better than mine.
I like both sets, which is my problem, I like most of the Christmas sets!
I have recently found a few of the cars for fairly cheap. Normally they are $200-400 depending if they have the sound or not. There are two sets, one with black roof and the other with white roof. For example:
1. This would be a normal price for the Hobo Car . OOOH, says only 1 left. And I don't believe it. I lied, the other three they had "on special" and in stock the other day are all gone.
2. This is an ok price for the RPO.
3. Here is a good price for one of the Sleepers with the black roof. Wish I would have gotten mine at that price. White roof is more expensive.
I've seen the latest Legacy, Scale Polar Express locomotive selling for upwards of $4000 on eBay. The 10th Anniversary Standard O Scale Legacy locomotive sells for about half of that, or less. If I did buy a scale version, I would wait for a new release. The 20th anniversary is coming up. Even then I would probably pass. I will only have three tracks that could handle anything that big. I already have plans for two of those tracks for trains I already have. I should have bought the new Legacy Scale Acela, but I hesitated because I had made no progress on the layout. I will wait and see what comes out after I get the tracks in place and trains running in the attic.

I'm happy to enjoy photos of your Scale Polar Express. I'm more than happy with the three conventional scale Polar Express sets I have. They fit perfectly under almost any Christmas Tree.

I forgot to post my 2023 Christmas Gifts!
Department 56 Snow Village "Lionel Train Electric Shop"
Lionel Collector's Club of America 2023 Annual Christmas Boxcar.
Lionel 2023 Annual Christmas Boxcar
Apple 5th Generation iPad Air
Not shown in the photo: two Seagate Portable Hard Drives.
My wife was too generous!
A set of 14 Lionel Christmas Tree Ornaments. A big surprise from my friend the Ironhorseman.
And some other mundane stuff that is not as much fun.
1704834677692.png

The new Lionel 2422060 Legacy 20th Anniversary Scale O Polar Express Set.
Announced in the 2024V1 Catalog and has an expected delivery date during 3rd QTR 2024
Now available for preorder. List Price $2399
1705012392377.png
SET INCLUDES:
  • Legacy Berkshire
  • 18" Combine
  • 18" 20th Anniversary Coach
  • 18" Observation Car
  • LOCOMOTIVE FEATURES:
  • LEGACY® Control System equipped – able to run in LEGACY® Control mode, in TrainMaster Command Control mode, or in Conventional mode with a standard transformer
  • Bluetooth® Control - Operate with Universal Remote or LionChief® App
  • Lionel Voice Control (LVC) - run your locomotive by speaking commands into your phone via LionChief® App
  • Odyssey® II Speed Control
  • IR Transmitter that works with LCS SensorTrack™
  • Whistle Steam
  • Road-specific Details
  • Powerful maintenance-free motor with momentum flywheel
  • Wireless Tether™ connection between locomotive and tender
  • ElectroCoupler™ on rear of tender
  • Directional lighting including operating headlight and back-up light on rear of tender
  • Bicolor illuminated classification lights on the front of locomotive where applicable. Using a Legacy controller, change the color of the classification lights between white or green
  • Traction tires
  • Interior illumination in cab
  • Die-cast metal locomotive body, pilot, and trucks
  • Die-cast metal tender body and trucks
  • High level of separately applied metal details
  • Separately applied builder's plate
  • Synchronized fan-driven smoke unit
  • Adjustable smoke output
  • Authentically detailed cab interior
  • Cab "glass" windows
  • Engineer and fireman figures
  • LEGACY® RailSounds® sound system featuring:
  • CrewTalk™ dialog with different scenarios depending on whether the locomotive is in motion or stopped
  • TrainSounds that mimic operating dialog when the locomotive is in motion or stopped
  • Six official railroad speeds with CrewTalk dialog
  • DynaChuff™ synchronized with 32 levels of intensity as the locomotive gains speed
  • LEGACY® "Real-Time Quilling Whistle" control with instant response for realistic signature "quilling" and correctly timed warning signals - 5 different whistles to choose from for a more customized experience.
  • Single hit or continuous mechanical bell sounds - 5 levels of bell pitching for customized sounds
  • Sequence Control: plays the sound effects of an entire trip, including warning sounds and announcements, based on the movement and speed of the locomotive
  • Current speed and fuel dialog, coal or oil loading sound effects
  • ROLLING STOCK FEATURES:
  • Die-cast sprung trucks
  • Operating couplers with hidden tabs
  • Flicker-free LED interior lighting with on/off switch
  • Detailed interiors with figures
  • Newly tooled round observation platform
  • min curve 054

Last edited:
The new Lionel 2422060 Legacy 20th Anniversary Scale O Polar Express Set.
Announced in the 2024V1 Catalog and has an expected delivery date during 3rd QTR 2024
Now available for preorder. List Price $2399
Hmmmm.... Don't know if I like the maroon locomotive or not.

I do not like the color. A good excuse for me to pass. I'll wait to see if they do a 25th anniversary.
Seems they are making a normal color one as well. I also see separate cars not just the set. Technically to have an "accurate" train one only needs five cars. I mean the train in the movie/book is shown with 4 to 20 cars, but normally there are 5. The round end observation, Hobo car (coach), hot chocolate car(diner in the Lionel world), abandon toy, and one other unknown type car to make 5.
https://www.trainworld.com/lionel-2431460-o-the-polar-express-legacy-berkshire-1225.html

Last edited:
Cross Post and update - Christmas Gift. Today (Feb 24, 2024) I took it out to run on the Christmas Forest tracks. No, I have still not put away the Christmas things. As expected they are smooth an nice together as a set and individually. They do have smoke. I put them on the O-63 figure 8 track and they had no problem negotiating the tight curves. Stated minimum is O-54. There was a bit too much "radio" chatter in the sound system for me, especially if I just left them idling. Seems they got impatient with me to get their train rolling! ha! I assume I can program that somehow.

---originally posted in RPO thread ---
A Lionel O-gauge - Scale E8 AA set. It is a glorious model with all the MU cables, window wipers, hatch lift rings, ice breakers, and grab irons as added on detail. The nose seems a tad bit pointy for an E unit, but I don't know if that is true or if it is just the optical effect difference between all my HO models vs this larger scale. They have fan driven controllable smoke output, all the lighting is programmable (defaults to direction controlled) I don't like the roof strobe, but I know it is era correct. The only thing not so nice is the oversized and truck mounted couplers. Unfortunately, the truck mounting is essential to allow it to navigate an O-54 curve (27" radius), and the couplers just to match Lionel history. Power wise, it is typical Lionel, in that it can be run on straight AC power, their TMCC or Legacy command systems, as well as the bluetooth phone wireless interface, or even a Lion Chief controller (which I believe is DCC under the covers). I've not had the opportunity to run it yet. When I go to clean up the Christmas Forest I will take it with me and run there before I disassemble the tracks for the season. But, I have no doubt it will be smooth and silky sliding down the rails.

Lionel E8s 2.jpg

Lionel E8s.jpg

20240124_185756[1].jpg

Last edited:

Back