Z scale layout in a Suitcase

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


andgott

Member
I'm just about done with this one! This started as a way for me to keep busy when I had some down time after surgery. I had a z scale train set put away in the closet, and I decided it was time to do something with it. I've still got some areas to detail, and I need to get the electrical work cleaned up a bit. But- It's done for now- I need to take a little break.

Other than the train itself, everything is scratch built...

Closed up, It's nothing too special-
0410Suitcase_zpsf7aebfb8.jpg


But, pop it open, and-
0411Layout_zpsd574b8ad.jpg


The layout measures roughly 18" x 24".

The station sits on a siding right in the middle. Cutting those details is always fun in Z scale, especially around the windows-

0411Station_zps9f440c81.jpg


In the corner, there is a gas station, complete with a 1966 Ford F-100 pickup-
0411GasStn_zps831f50a1.jpg


All of the building interiors are fully detailed-
0411GasStnIn_zps9a7e21ed.jpg


There is a diner just up the road. I based it on the 'gator' diner, which used to be in St. Petersburg, FL... It's gone now, but if you google it you'll see a postcard that featured it. It's a neat building.

0411Diner_zpsd34d0a25.jpg


Sitting in front is a 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle, and a panel delivery van. Of course, the interior is fully detailed, too-

0411DinerIn_zpsd666ec17.jpg


It's a nice summer day, so it's a great day to take the boat out or hang out on the beach. The boat is a 1960 Glasspar Citation- I have the real thing in my garage, so I had to try a replica.

0411BoatDock_zps572aba0e.jpg


I worked as a merchant marine officer for 12 years- So I had to add a little tug and buoy, too. The buoy flashes at night. I also built the bridge, which is a replica of one of the N&S five bridges in Indiana Harbor, IN. I used to pass under it several times a week on the ship that I worked on...

0411Tug_zps99b99477.jpg


Down the road a bit, they are doing a little clearing work to make room for a new building... The Erie steam shovel is scratch built from styrene-

0411SteamShovel_zps722c88f0.jpg


Up on the mountain, there is a little camp scene, complete with a 1964 Shasta camper-

0411Campsite_zps1ccec783.jpg


But, it's not all fun up there- they're almost done with a fresh batch of moonshine-

0411Still_zps6bdfc724.jpg


The farm house is based on one of the most famous houses in the world- The house in the painting American Gothic-

0411FarmHouse_zps8dcc9d14.jpg



I like it better at night! It's lit with a combination of white LEDs and incandescent lamps. All of them are controlled by a Arduino microcontroller-

The station-
0410Station_zpse0b2bca4.jpg


The Diner-
0410Diner_zps8abea9d3.jpg


The Gas Station-
0410GasStn_zps4cf89e43.jpg


The Docks-
0410Dock_zps61a073ed.jpg


And, the flashing buoy. The flash effect is controlled by the Arduino Microcontroller-
0410Buoy_zps28a0586e.jpg


I really like using the microcontrollers, they make it SUPER easy to add lighting effects and control the lighting. I plan to add some motion later, using servos controlled by the Arduino. I also plan to use the arduino to control the train as well in the near future. It's a neat toy.

It's time to start thinking about the next project now :)

-Andrew
 


This is absolutely astonishing! Your talents are amazing and you have definitely raised the bar for what can be accomplished in such a small scale. I've really enjoyed your presentation of this project. Thanks for sharing this with us.
 
Omg! I have some Marklin Z-scale trains & track and having tried modeling buildings myself in that scale I have
to take my hat off for you. Beautiful work!

-ik
 


That looks fantastic! I especially like the use of the arduino. I have always wondered why more people don't use those for custom layout animation and things, simply because they're so versatile.

Maybe you should take a look at the "Model Railroading With Arduino" library if you haven't already. Then you could add (basic) DCC to the layout, which would be super cool! Sounds from a little speaker in the bottom of the suitcase would be awesome too.

Love the layout! Well done
 
I'm just about done with this one! This started as a way for me to keep busy when I had some down time after surgery. I had a z scale train set put away in the closet, and I decided it was time to do something with it. I've still got some areas to detail, and I need to get the electrical work cleaned up a bit. But- It's done for now- I need to take a little break.

Other than the train itself, everything is scratch built...

Closed up, It's nothing too special-
View attachment 100979

But, pop it open, and-
View attachment 100980

The layout measures roughly 18" x 24".

The station sits on a siding right in the middle. Cutting those details is always fun in Z scale, especially around the windows-

View attachment 100981

In the corner, there is a gas station, complete with a 1966 Ford F-100 pickup-
View attachment 100982

All of the building interiors are fully detailed-
View attachment 100983

There is a diner just up the road. I based it on the 'gator' diner, which used to be in St. Petersburg, FL... It's gone now, but if you google it you'll see a postcard that featured it. It's a neat building.

View attachment 100984

Sitting in front is a 1948 Indian Chief motorcycle, and a panel delivery van. Of course, the interior is fully detailed, too-

View attachment 100985

It's a nice summer day, so it's a great day to take the boat out or hang out on the beach. The boat is a 1960 Glasspar Citation- I have the real thing in my garage, so I had to try a replica.

View attachment 100986

I worked as a merchant marine officer for 12 years- So I had to add a little tug and buoy, too. The buoy flashes at night. I also built the bridge, which is a replica of one of the N&S five bridges in Indiana Harbor, IN. I used to pass under it several times a week on the ship that I worked on...

View attachment 100987

Down the road a bit, they are doing a little clearing work to make room for a new building... The Erie steam shovel is scratch built from styrene-

View attachment 100988

Up on the mountain, there is a little camp scene, complete with a 1964 Shasta camper-

View attachment 100989

But, it's not all fun up there- they're almost done with a fresh batch of moonshine-

View attachment 100990

The farm house is based on one of the most famous houses in the world- The house in the painting American Gothic-

View attachment 100991


I like it better at night! It's lit with a combination of white LEDs and incandescent lamps. All of them are controlled by a Arduino microcontroller-

The station-
View attachment 100992

The Diner-
View attachment 100993

The Gas Station-
View attachment 100994

The Docks-
View attachment 100995

And, the flashing buoy. The flash effect is controlled by the Arduino Microcontroller-
View attachment 100996

I really like using the microcontrollers, they make it SUPER easy to add lighting effects and control the lighting. I plan to add some motion later, using servos controlled by the Arduino. I also plan to use the arduino to control the train as well in the near future. It's a neat toy.

It's time to start thinking about the next project now :)

-Andrew
This is beautifully done. Z scale to boot, you must have the hands of a surgeon!

🛃👮 - hello sir do you have anything to declare?
😀 💼
- yes! my bag is awesome!!
 
Last edited:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top