your favorite loco from your favorite railroad(s)..

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wongsing

Member
Hey,

Just a thought...Perhaps it'd be fun to post some shots of your favorite loco from your favorite railroad! Have more than one loco to show off, by all means. I love looking at pictures of other people's work! The only rule, only show off the loco(s) you consider your favorites...And briefly explain why you like that railroad or engine. The visual aspect is what makes modelling so fun! Heres my favorite...(BTW: I'm about to build an outside display track that will be much cooler than my washer!!!LOL!) It is a Chessie System SD40 from Athearn! I love this loco probably more than any other due to the SD40's ruggedness and dependability...Not to mention, Chessie is my favorite road!
DSC00458.jpg

DSC00460.jpg


I look forward to anyone else's pics! Have fun!

-Rich
 
Favorite Loco, from my favorite railroad eh? I prefer the SD45-2, because of it brutish size. And BNSF of course, #6460, the ONLY one currently on roster, and in H1.

Both the model & prototype, shot by me.
bnsf6460_08.jpg

bnsf6460_112505_kingman_1.jpg
 


Nice weathering job on that SD-40, Rich. Come to think of it, the SD-40 has always been one of my favorite prototype locomotives and I don't own one of them. Hmmm...I wonder if Kato will be having a sale any time soon. :)

I like the workmanship on that SD-45 too. I'm not a great fan of that paint scheme but it looks better when it's on something loooong like the SD-45

Chip, is that a Bachman GP38-2? Very nice job on the paint and weathering. How do you paint the intakes and grilles? I uses a fine point black Sharpie but it always looks too dark to me. We need a :rolleyes: dark grey Sharpie.

OK, here a few of mine. The first is my real home road, the NKP. I grew up about 100 yards from the NKP mainline in Lakewood, Ohio and saw many of these SD-9's even while steam was still running. It's a P2K model
NKPSDPMedium.jpg

Now, my favorite "adult" railroad and one of my favorite lashups, a UP A-B-A set. They are old Athearn BB's that I painted and decaled about 25 years ago and they are all that's left of my former layout.
UPF7sMedium.jpg

One of the roads that I wish still ran here. A GM&O GP38-2 from Athearn that I detailed. I always like the GM&O - kind of backwoods Class 1. ;)
GMOGP38Medium.jpg

Finally, what I'm stuck with now - the CSX. I kind of like the paint scheme but how can you like a railroad that's known only by initials that don't mean anything?:mad: This is an Atlas U30C with some additional details and weathering.
CSXU30Medium.jpg
 
Actually Jim, if I'm correct, due to the merger that occured in the mid to late 80's between the two big east coast class one's, Chessie System and Seaboard System, the name CSX is rumored to be Chessie Seaboard Trans., or CSX. Speaking of which, did you do that U30C? It looks terrific! Looks very well done to me! Such a loco would go great with some of my Chessie/CSX/Family Lines locos...Hmmmm! All good pics guys! Lets keep them coming!

-Rich
 
My favorite locos are the MLW S13 And MLW RS23 switchers of the GWWD.Sorry I don't have any models of them to show you yet but have started on an S13 that I am making out of a Proto 2000 Alco S3. Will post a full set of build photos as it progresses. This pic shows the side grills on the S3 removed and a new opening in the front for the new grill. Ron
 
Alright, enough of them diseasal thingys....... Us steam folks prefer stuff like these. ;) ;) :rolleyes:

For heavy freight, it would be the USRA 2-6-6-2:

NewDecals03a.png


For fast passenger service this sister engine of NYC's 999 get the vote:

4-4-0No4991w.png
 
My all time favorite on the Great Northern has always been the class M2 2-6-8-0 articulated. On a road known for large steamers the M2 was concidered the runt of the litter.
Coming across a picture in Lines West by Charles R Woods many years ago it just struck me as not only one of the most unusal wheel arrangment's but just had a kinda forlorn special something look about it....

Have the good fortune to be married to a understanding little woman that when Challenger models offer'd this beauty in 1992 she said 'If you really want one that badly buy it! ......WOOHOO!!:D
Is it a thing of beauty? you be the judge!
 
My Favorite diesel is the EMD SD9 in SP Blackwidow...mmmmm!! :)
august012.png


My favorite Steam locomotive is SP P-8 class pacific #2467. The brass model is only $499.00! :(

Two close contenders would be that NKP SD9, of which I'm still kicking myself for selling mine, and an ALCo RS-1.
 
Actually Jim, if I'm correct, due to the merger that occured in the mid to late 80's between the two big east coast class one's, Chessie System and Seaboard System, the name CSX is rumored to be Chessie Seaboard Trans., or CSX. Speaking of which, did you do that U30C? It looks terrific! Looks very well done to me! Such a loco would go great with some of my Chessie/CSX/Family Lines locos...Hmmmm! All good pics guys! Lets keep them coming!

-Rich

I'm sure you're right, Rich, but why not CST then rather than CSX. When did "X" get to be a substitute for "T" - I missed the memo. :)

Thanks for the kind words on the U30. I did paint and decal it from an undecorated Atlas Kit so I could do the blue and grey scheme. Of course, Atlas came out with that scheme about 10 seconds after I applied the last decal. :mad: I'm working on a CSX GP-35 now in the blue, grey, and yellow scheme for a little variety.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wow, rlundy, you've picked a tough prototype tp model. I'll be interested to see how it looks as it comes along.

Ray, those are two mighty fine looking...you know...those non-diesel kind of locomotives. All you're missing are the MU cables.:D

That 2-6-8-0 has always been both an odd and interesintg looking locomotive. Teamed up with the Vanderbilt tender, it just oozes the old GN. Nice work (and nice wife too).:)

Miles, I'm a Black Widow fan too. Now you need to get the SP light set on that SD-9 and it will be perfect.
 
I'm sure you're right, Rich, but why not CST then rather than CSX. When did "X" get to be a substitute for "T" - I missed the memo. :)

Thanks for the kind words on the U30. I did paint and decal it from an undecorated Atlas Kit so I could do the blue and grey scheme. Of course, Atlas came out with that scheme about 10 seconds after I applied the last decal. :mad: I'm working on a CSX GP-35 now in the blue, grey, and yellow scheme for a little variety.

acually the csx stands for C(CHESSIE) S(SEABOARD) X(AND MORE)
 
Bar none, my favorite is the Pennsy J1 2-10-4. It produced more tractive effort with two cylinders than the UP Challenger did with four. Now, that's performance!

J1bridgesmokeres.jpg
 
Rex,
Those Southern SD24's look beautiful.:) A couple more Southern locos to drool over:
IMG_0672.png

IMG_5767.jpg
 
I'm sure you're right, Rich, but why not CST then rather than CSX. When did "X" get to be a substitute for "T" - I missed the memo. :)
They added a T anyways. The X meant anything else not mentioned. Chessie, Seaboard, eXtra... They added a T, to make CSXT because reporting marks ending in X are privately owned, not a railroad.
 


Chip, is that a Bachman GP38-2? Very nice job on the paint and weathering. How do you paint the intakes and grilles? I uses a fine point black Sharpie but it always looks too dark to me. We need a dark grey Sharpie.

Jim, It's an Atlas and I used a very fine paint brush and a lot of time. I mix a lot of acrylic colors.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top