ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Classic thread drift. Just look what happened in the thread on Modelling in 50s and 60s. It drifted up to the late 70's then someone commented on the number of pages in Model Railroader in 1977. It then turned into a discussion of the size and quality of MR. Yup, classic thread drift.
Classic thread drift. Just look what happened in the thread on Modelling in 50s and 60s. It drifted up to the late 70's then someone commented on the number of pages in Model Railroader in 1977. It then turned into a discussion of the size and quality of MR. Yup, classic thread drift.
Nothing wrong with thread drift, real face-to-face conversations drift. That is what makes them interesting. Working on one of my school research projects, I was studying intelligence by paying attention to the key words and associations upon which a conversation would change directions and end up on different topics (drift). It was quite enlightening.
Anyway to the main topic of the thread, I've written my railroad's backstory so many times, instead of typing it all again, I've been trying to find one of those earlier instances and link to it as JazzDad did. I'm pretty certain this whole thread was done about three years ago, but can't find that either. So I'm just marking time until I can actually contribute to the main topic.
My railroad, the Sunset and North Eastern connects Hartford CT to Boston MA through fictional Sunset (near Worcester MA).It, theoretically, had its passenger service killed in the early 1950s (the station in Sunset is currently boarded up). Passenger services are provided by the New Haven - runs Budd RDCs through - and the B&M which runs a two coach train through twice a day.
Funnily enough, the S&NE doesn't indulge in passenger car advertising - grin.
David
The area where I live had several shortlines. Unfortunately they were ill conceived and either went east/west (into the Susquehanna River) or were bought up by the PRR during buying spree prior to 1900. My railroad runs North /South and is privately owned. I stole parts of the history of the W&W and Aberdeen and Rockfish. Mixed with local history and industry. Stirred in some good fortune and ambition. Taking advantage of regional railroad stock wars and failed railroad empires. It could have happened!
Almost like writing a short story.
Except that 1925 comes alive.