ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
For the trouble its worth ill just by a rerailer. This is just a loop on the carpet, im not building any layouts til after college..... well thats the plan


For the trouble its worth ill just by a rerailer. This is just a loop on the carpet, im not building any layouts til after college..... well thats the plan

Did I read that right? Not until after college? You're a late starter. I was working on my first HO layout when I was six years old.
I just ordered two (2) Union Pacific GP7's from Bachmann, DCC of course. I think I'll back away from the order forms for now. I've done enough damage for one day. Of course anyone who knows me knows what's going to happen to those UP logos. I've got the patching paint ready.
Did I read that right? Not until after college? You're a late starter. I was working on my first HO layout when I was six years old.
Yeah, ive got plenty of space, but not much in the way of equipment. I made the switch to N scale. For a few reasons really. While i miss the HO, i can set up the N scale stuff anywheres, and when i get my own place, it certainly wont be a mansion, but i should have enough room to build something small. I started with HO originally at 5, theres pictures of me and my dad playing with the trains and Lincoln Logs/Erector Set/Legos somewhere. I dont remember what happened to that set, its gone though. I still remember it though. I remember a Blue Bonnet Santa Fe Geep with a green and yellow boxcar, red stock car, and red caboose. Some of the scenery included some catenary stuff and people. My interests were resparked when i was about 12, and bought some HO stuff again. Someday ill build a decent HO layout, but for now, ill be content with my N scale shortline. But, for now ill just be looking to buy some cheaper N scale cars and locos, (hint hint gentlemen, anyone modeling N scale and needs to sell some old stuff?

)
Pizza for dinner tonight, now just sitting back and watching the Hulk or playing Wii. Have a nice evening Gentleman and thanks for the input earlier.
That's quite a history there. I know what you mean about not having much space. What can be done with a small space is all a matter of priorities. I've squeezed a 7' 8"x10' HO layout into the front of a 8x25 trailer with just enough space left for a fridge, standing room only in the kitchen and a path to the door. The heater and my computer are under the layout as are the monitor, printer and scanner. There's a bunch of train stuff stored under the layout as well as a large Shop-Vac and a backup heater. Even with all that there's still room enough for me to get under there to get to the access holes to handle whatever emergency comes up and to clean the air conditioner filter. Does that make my living space a bit cramped? Yes. But I don't have to share it with anyone. And I own it outright so there's no landlord and rent to fuss with. I've had many people take one look at my layout and realize just how much can be shoe horned into a small space with a little ingenuity. Of course it meant having to settle for 18" radius curves and rolling stock no longer than 60' but that's a small price to pay. It still has a lot of operating potential. Until a couple of hours ago I had 72 locos to choose from to run on it. Now I have 74. I ordered two GP7's today. I just had to have them. I can control a budget fairly well but when I get around a credit card it's a Jekyll and Hyde type thing. I've learned to keep a fire extinguisher handy to put out the wallet fires. Now I gotta figure out where to put the GP7's.
That's quite a history there. I know what you mean about not having much space. What can be done with a small space is all a matter of priorities. I've squeezed a 7' 8"x10' HO layout into the front of a 8x25 trailer with just enough space left for a fridge, standing room only in the kitchen and a path to the door. The heater and my computer are under the layout as are the monitor, printer and scanner. There's a bunch of train stuff stored under the layout as well as a large Shop-Vac and a backup heater. Even with all that there's still room enough for me to get under there to get to the access holes to handle whatever emergency comes up and to clean the air conditioner filter. Does that make my living space a bit cramped? Yes. But I don't have to share it with anyone. And I own it outright so there's no landlord and rent to fuss with. I've had many people take one look at my layout and realize just how much can be shoe horned into a small space with a little ingenuity. Of course it meant having to settle for 18" radius curves and rolling stock no longer than 60' but that's a small price to pay. It still has a lot of operating potential. Until a couple of hours ago I had 72 locos to choose from to run on it. Now I have 74. I ordered two GP7's today. I just had to have them. I can control a budget fairly well but when I get around a credit card it's a Jekyll and Hyde type thing. I've learned to keep a fire extinguisher handy to put out the wallet fires. Now I gotta figure out where to put the GP7's.
My problems more on the end of my parents. I have claim to a table downstairs, which is ok, makes things tough on the turns though. With 18" radius i had to build some extensions on the table for HO. I called them cliff extenders. I heard my parents talking about getting rid of the air hockey table, which is fine by me, because if they do, it opens up a 10x12 foot area, perhaps more if i can make it L shaped, but that where the bar is. I dont want to get to involved with it though, because if i do, itll live there vacant for 4 years, and then who knows how long after that until i could get it into a suitable place. Im sure ill build a static display just to practice
Youve got quite the fleet jeff, ive got a whopping 3 engines, 1 converted dummy and dockside switcher that i tried to turn into a cog locomotive but screwed that up. Im more into the modern locomotives, the big 6 axle GE's and the SD70ACEs and SD90Macs. Its gonna look funny having one of those beasts towing a few log cars on my shortline though

If i had to pick one early diesel id probably pick the GP7/9s, just a good quality and versatile locomotive. The F units are overated in my opinion, the E units look better.
Should i bid fellas?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Union-Pacific-8...ewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item53e2576f62
The big GE's and the SD70's and SD90's are a bit too new for me. My era is around late 2005 but running equipment as late as 1980's.
The big GE's and the SD70's and SD90's are a bit too new for me. My era is around late 2005 but running equipment as late as 1980's.
To new?! Began building in 95 brother! Throw one of them on the pike and let her go to work, shell fit in just fine
Would you bid on that SD90 jeff?
Nope. I'm limited to 18" radius. It likely wouldn't run my layout.
Nope. I'm limited to 18" radius. It likely wouldn't run my layout.
Itd look alittle awkward in the curves. This is N scale though, it seems like ive got all the room in the world for turns now.
Yeah. I used to do N Scale back in the 80's. Now it's too small to handle. With my numb hands I just can't hold onto them.
Ill tell ya jeff, when i opened the box and pulled out the locomotive, the first thing my sister said was "those look like the Christmas Ornament Grandma got you for Christmas last year." I was surprised how small they are, but im happy with them. For fun i put one of the ornaments on the tracks and if i can figure out how to change the couplers i found myself a dummy loco.
I have one of those ornaments somewhere. It's a GP40.
Matt
When I got married to the 1st wife, we had a 2br apartment. The 2nd bedroom was off limits to me, as we usually had weekend guests. Not one to sit still, I left the HO stuff in storage and started an n scale layout on a sheet of foam kept under a queen size bed. Not much for hills or tall structures, so I modeled the CB&Q in Kansas. Kept me sharp enough that wehen we moved into a house with a basement, I could get the HO up and running in no time. I gave the layout to a kid who lived downstairs.
IF you can still find one, the Hallmark ornament from a few years back was an 0-6-0 Pennsy switcher with tender. It was N scale! Cut off the hangar, and wala! Dummy engine!
One thing you may find, as you get older, HO looks better and better, unless you really think you look cool walking around with an Optivisor on your head!

Heck, I may even dabble in On30 before its all over!
Matt: Do not despair my young friend. You can take your simple oval of (N)ormal scale and build an empire with it. I am starting over again from scratch, with limited funds, but here is some encouragement for you. I am big on operation, and run car cards and waybills. But if you need some simple ideas, here are a couple that I am planning on building. Feel free to use, copy, alter, or give yourself some inspiration.
Plan 1: This is drawn for a 2x4 foot area. Could be transported to college, slipped under your bed, whatever. Min radius is 11"R.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac73/trainmastr1/Track Plans/cvwrr04v1.jpg
Plan 2: This extends your operating potential 10 fold in 2x8. Could be built in 2 sections for easy transport. Also includes a variation of John Allen's Timesaver to make things just a little more interesting.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac73/trainmastr1/Track Plans/cvwrr003.jpg
Plan 3: This last plan was the original Cactus Valley Empire, now a fallen flag. Upper NE Corner inside track was 9.75R, but everything else was 11R or greater. Ran 475+ cars on waybill system covering 17 scheduled trains. 2 Rev loops. Was built in back bedroom of trailer in lived in. Main yard ran 2' into closet...LOL!
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac73/trainmastr1/Track Plans/cvwrr003a.jpg
I have an SD70M running on the 11"R loop from 1st plan. looks ok, but running short trains.

Start small (no pun intended), and your vision will grow. The time saver can be built on a shelf approx. 1x4 feet. Will keep you occupied for hours

Hey All!
Sounds like everyone is doing okay...what with earthquakes and all
Hey ya Rex! how are those dawgs of yours? Spent last weekend with my brothers pups and they are a handful. But I love 'em!
Dana...sorry for the delay in welcoming you. There is a pretty great group of train folks here...
Karl...LOVED the fishing tale

) Might have to pass that one on
It was another warm one here today. Not sure if we broke 100, but since it's a dry heat...it can't be all that bad!
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Sandy
Thought the photos might help cool ya down!
Matt
About the n scale stuff, I almost forgot. I do still have some of it, just in case life totally throws a curve ball. Normally it stays in a display case , but here I have one of the engines next to its HO counterpart. Might just have to build a coffee table layout someday.
Good morning. It's 77 and mostly cloudy or partly sunny depending on how you want to look at it. There's a 50% chance of rain today and the high will be 95.
Just checked on the progress of my orders. My 567 prime mover is well on it's way here and the 2 new Bachmann GP7's will likely ship out today. I had some fun putting out the wallet fire on that order. I saw in the new NMRA info that Bachmann is bringing out a GP9 model. I'll have to see about snagging a couple of those when they become available. Got all my meds refilled yesterday so I feel better now than I have for the past few days. Nothing in particular planned for today so I'll just take it as it comes.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010934.jpg
Good Mornin' y'all...took a road trip yesterday to visit family and friends in PA. Will be goin' home tonight. Suppose to be in the mid 80's I think.
Karl:
Might just have to build a coffee table layout someday.
Had a friend that did years ago. He use to sell them at the train shows, and also took special orders. Supported his habit quite well with them. LOL

BTW: Nice looking units
Jeff:
I'll just take it as it comes.
That's about all any of us can do sometimes. I'm glad I don't have wake up and drive 600+ miles a day any more.

Just take it as it comes....
Sandy....Thanx for the welcome

! No problem with the delay. "Oxygen deprivation" will do that to you on occasion

And you are right about a great group of people here. (FLO: put Sandy's coffee on my tab!)
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)