Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
The Geep has DCC installed, (haven't got that far yet), but she said "just in case we switch over".
That engine will run much better with a standard light board on DC. If you think you have the aptitude for it, I have some non-DCC light boards that would fit that locomotive. PM me your name and address, and I'll send 'em out to you. Hang onto the decoder for if/when you go digital. I may have some other odds 'n ends I can toss in the box.
 
Evening, everyone, from soggy, humid, and hot Honduras.

I'm online with the world's slowest broadband, but it's better than nothing. :) I've been spending most of my time at the mission resource center trying to clean up viruses and spyware. They had no protection at all. :eek: We have satellite internet at the center, which really sucks when you reach your 350 mb download limit in a day, which isn't hard to do with eight computers on the network. It's worse than dial-up, and I'm trying to get AVG and Spybot downloaded on each computer. I've gotten four cleaned up, so four more tomorrow. The wireless is also unsecured, so I've got to get that fixed too, since I think someone is leaching off us. About half our people have been sick, so I've been running around taking temps and handing out pills as well. Man, I'm dog tired, and my neck is killing me from being hunched over the computers for 10 hours a day.

Matt, sounds like you're doing just fine as a young hunter. As Bob said, the one shot, one kill policy is always the best, but it will take you a while to get as good as Bob. I can understand why a magazine fed bolt action would be a good idea.

Terry, our department started buying Hertz and Avis rentals for detecive units, since that was the easiest way to get cars that don't look like cop cars. ;) They all held up well and gave us good service, so I hope yours will too.

Dana, sounds like you have the perfect woman. :D Good deal on the MR stuff you picked up. The day my wife says any model is cute, the earth will stop spinning.

Hello to Bob, Karl, Corey, Jeffrey, and any others I might have missed. With this flaky internet, I can only read about two pages of posts before it bombs out on me. We leave Friday, and it can't come soon enough for me.
 
Jim...glad to see that you're doing well under the circumstances. Please be safe, and we"ll all see you at Flo's when you get back. :D
 


Good morning. It's 73 and mostly clear. Lots of stars visible. The high will be 97 and it will be mostly sunny.

Getting an early start today as I have to take my mother to Alexandria for a doctors appointment this morning. Went over and cut my parent's yard yesterday while it was still cool. They're still waiting for a guy to come and pick up the dead tree that was cut down in the front yard a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly he wants to cut it up for lumber. No particular plans for today other than that already stated.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010905.jpg
 
Jim- Sounds as if you are having a great time!
Try to leave all the bugs there when you leave. Both at the computers and in your bloodstream.;)
Just so you will feel like you have not left Honduras, the weather in Alabama will be the usual July upper 90's in temperature and humidity.
Have a safe and boring trip back home!

Littlefoot- doing the research to shop for guns, cars, motorcycles, trains and other fun things is half the fun. And if you learn a few things along the way, you can consider it a bonus.

I am constantly amazed with the diversity of people's backgrounds on this forum and the willingness to share their knowledge on so many non-railroad subjects. I suppose that is one reason I haunt this forum.

Happy hump day to all for this week!
 
Good morning folks.

Jim, glad to hear you don't have malaria, yet! It is good of you to volunteer your time to help down there. Most of us don't.

It's going to be in the upper eighties with the dew point climbing into the upper seventies. It's down right tropical here. We're suppose to get another round of nasty storms coming through this afternoon. Hopefully I won't be cleaning up water at work. The last few storms overwhelmed the roof drains. When that happens the water comes over the side of the building and into our back door. Since the door is two feet below grade the water then overwhelms the floor drain. That's when the water has no where to go but into the store. Damn I hate storms!

I didn't accomplish much yesterday as far a modeling goes. My half day at work got me home by four. So much for a half day off. I did manage to boil another batch of super trees. I've been trying to at least do part of the tree process every day. With the amount of drying that has to take place, it takes three days from boiling to 'planting'.

I see my coworkers managed to trash the store in the little bit I was gone yesterday. I had better straighten things up around here. I guess that's why I get paid the big bucks!:rolleyes:

Have a good day everyone.
 
Hey guys. Alot of people on here still call me Littlefoot, gents call me Matt.

Jim- Good to hear from you and also know all is well.

Mikey- See for me its the other way around, i hate doing the research, but i like looking around, maybe stumbling upon something, either buy it or go home and research it or if i dont find anything, then its research time.

Dana and Karl- I had a little dockside locomotive before i tried to turn it into a cog railway locomotive :o Dana, shays and Northerns, some of my favorite steamers. Bachmann's Shay is supposed to look pretty good.

Well this summer class ive been taking is turning into a really good thing. Besides earning college credits in a short time, its also less than 100ft from the Canadian Pacific mainline from NYC to Montreal and VT. Im seeing alot of equipment ive never seen before too. Yesterday was a lashup of 3 SD40-2's. Two Soo line locomotives in both schemes as well as well as a CP Flag unit, in the same consist. Today was a Norfolk Southern lashup of Dash 9's with the GE Demonstrator Dash 8 in the consist as well. While riding my bike with my friends over to the site a train passed over the bridge we were under. What a feeling, everytime the axle went by the sound would change. While on the way home i rode past the local with an SD40-2 in STL&H with a CP caboose. Im there for 4 1/2 hours and i see easily 7 trains. Besides trains, on the way home i pass the penny candy store, which is good for my sweet tooth but not so good for my wallet. Not bad though, 4 bucks and i walked out with a paper bag full of candy. I think ill turn that into a once maybe twice a week thing.
 
Besides trains, on the way home i pass the penny candy store, which is good for my sweet tooth but not so good for my wallet. Not bad though, 4 bucks and i walked out with a paper bag full of candy. I think ill turn that into a once maybe twice a week thing.

Matt: No wonder you're always bouncing off the walls around here! :rolleyes: Hey FLO!! No more caffeine for Matt!!! :D

Welll...the LL was suppose to be on vacation this week. They called her in the other day to work the overnight this morning, (0300-1130) and said she could then go back on vacation, Then they called this afternoon, and said she has to work again tonight (for Thu), and possibly Fri. Some vacation!! :(
 
Hi gang! Just checking in and seeing how all are doing. All is well at this end, but the heat and humidity is miserable (upper 90's with Index of 105).

On the illegal immigrants issue, last year a young woman was killed here, in a head on collision caused by the other driver crossing the median. The driver of the other car was an illegal Mexican that was drunk and 3x the limit for alcohol. Monday, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison (with parole will be out sooner). Then he will be deported.

Terry: We bought a '92 Bonneville that was a program car with 9k miles on it. When we sold it, there was 247,000 miles on it and it still ran and looked good.

Dana: you are very lucky to have a partner in your addiction...just don't let her get the cure:D:D.

Matt: sounds like you have a good hold on understanding the rules of hunting. Your best choices for guns should be decided on what your local hunters use for the type terrain and game. You can't go wrong with listening to them. Concerning go into the woods with an unloaded gun: the only ones I have ever heard about doing this are those in a club and being dropped off at their stands from a vehicle. Otherwise, everyone I know and know of always go in slowly, loaded with safety on, but ready (I've jumped too many going in, not to have a loaded gun.) The key is to always know where your partners and others are, know your terrain and location, and always clearly identify your game (i'm sure you already know and abide by this;))

Jim: Those helicopters you hear each night are not Rebels. Relax! They are only skeeters! LOL! :D
On the local scene: Dr Robert Bentley won the run-off to be the Republican Governor candidate. Before he retired, he was my Dermatologist partner. I can tell you that he is a solid and good man that considers himself no better than anyone else. He will do exactly what he says he will do, including getting rid of the status-quo in Montgomery. I also know that he is not particularly in favor of allowing gambling (bingo halls), but believes that this should be up to the people and brought to a vote.
[Paid for by the committee to elect Robert Bentley Governor] :D

Hi Corey! Hi Jeffrey! Hi Sandy! Hi Bob! Hi Karl! Hi Mikey! Hi Larry! Hi anyone I missed!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Rex- 30-06, .300, .270 and archery dominate the woods up here. Im not really big into the whole archery thing, even the indians gave that up. Keep in mind, ive never been the one holding the higher caliber rifle, so i ddnt really need to worry about having one in the chamber, that was my dads job. This year, ill probably have one in the chamber, with either the bolt open or most likely just the safety on. Our usual strategy for hunting is doing drives or just walking through the woods hopng to kick something up, so its pretty easy to know where everyone is.

Dana- Whose bouncing off the walls? Me? Nahh. :D Besides, what about Chris? Hes a bad influence :D:p

Anyone quoting the waltons- Thats a nightly standard at camp. When the last ones in bed, you hear goodnight John Boy, Goodnight Mary-Ellan, Goodnight Grandpa. Much before my time but i can play along with this one :D
 
Sounds like summer at my grandparents place in east Texas back in the 70's. I was living in a house with 10 other people and I was the youngest, meaning I got the last pick of everything. It wasn't so bad with half of them but the other half were all Indians with names that were real jaw breakers. They later translated their names to english. That was about the time I got out of high school. Any time I was there I was called by my Indian name 'Running Bear'. I had it translated early on even though some of my cousins thought of it as a slap in the face. The Cherokee form is in a link in my signature. In english form but not translated it's Yonv Adisi. In counsel (family or otherwise) it was carried as Yonv Adisi, grand nephew, Waya Adisi (Running Wolf). Definitely one of the easier ones. Saying goodnight to everybody could get very tiring rather quickly. I've always been fairly good at tongue twisters. I can't imagine why.:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex-Just say, "Nite, y'all!" That way you don't leave anyone out. LOL

Matt- if you keep feeding your sweet tooth and buying guns, you will be a pedestrian when you turn 16! But, that is why you are working this summer and it is your decision.

I keep yawning over this keyboard, so I had better head for bed. Us old _arts need lots of beauty rest!
 
Rex-Just say, "Nite, y'all!" That way you don't leave anyone out. LOL

Matt- if you keep feeding your sweet tooth and buying guns, you will be a pedestrian when you turn 16! But, that is why you are working this summer and it is your decision.

I keep yawning over this keyboard, so I had better head for bed. Us old _arts need lots of beauty rest!

Matt, Mikey's right. Hate to see ya work all summer and have nothing to show but a cavity!! LOL!:D

Mikey, beauty sleep? ROFL!!!! Ok, ok, I'll be nice.........it was just too easy of a shot!! LOL!

Nite Y'all

Uh buh da dee da dee,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's all folks!!!!!!!!;)
 
I could sleep for a week, and still not see an improvement!!!:D :eek::o
Same here. I'll probably bust every video monitor here but there's not much hope for this:

P1310417.jpg

:D:D:D:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top