Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening gang!
Been helping the eldest son & wife move thier stuff out of his FIL's house where they, and the grandkids have been living for over a year now. They hit a financial snag, he got a new job and back on his feet in a year! Now they are back by themselves again. The house is north of B-more, about a half mile from the Northeast Corridor and yes, you can hear the trains almost hourly. He and the grandkids love it! Grandpa (me) loves it too!:D
Little stiff and sore now, but at least it's done. Besides, this means I get to tap them in a few weeks when we move to our new house!:rolleyes:

KenL (probie) You little devil, snuck outta town to visit the Bama gang and didn't take me!! Wait til the next club meeting, I'll rag you about it then too!

Mikey,Jim,Carey & Rex. I'm hoping the probie didn't do anything that would embarass us "yankees". ;)

Chris: When my 1st wife and I divorced, I too got a good lawyer. He was recommended to me by a family friend, as "a pirannah in a pinstriped suit". Even though he wasn't cheap, he literally was worth his weight in gold. In the long run, he saved me more money than he cost me. We will continue to keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

To the whole gang, have a safe and happy 4th of July!:D:D:D
 
Evening, everyone.

Chris, you and the whole family are in my prayers. Like I said, one day at a time. If you've got enough for the light bill and some food on the table today, you've done fine.

Corey, sounds like you've been having fun and plan on some more. You just reminded me I need to stop off at the fireworks store and pick up some high explosives. Seems like the Fourth kind of snuck on me this year.

Rex, I'm feeling kind of bad now the I realize we stuck Dana with the bill for those filets. Not really that bad, but still...he missed a great meal. :) I feel lucky to have been able to meet guys like you, Eric, CJ, Ken, Bill, and William in person. It's too bad that more of us don't live closer so it can be a regular thing for more people on the forum. I haven't met one person who I liked on the forum who didn't turn out to be just as likeable in person.

Ken, pleasure seeing you again too. You guys need to see the track plan for his "new" layout. It's a beauty. I just wish I had that kind of space.

Karl, Ken did just fine. Actually, he had his train all dropped in the yard and his engine on the way back to the roundhouse while I was still figuring out the time saver. Besides, I'm still a Yankee too, so we had a 2-2 balance. :cool: Glad to hear your son is back in his own place again. In-laws can be nice to visit, but a year's a long visit. :eek: Ken, drive safe on the way back. All the drunks will be out tomorrow.

Matt, you guys are getting the hot and humid weather now, and will be for the next couple of days. The remnants of Alex are dragging a lot of tropical air your way. I'm always jealous of anyone who can catch any fish. I just sit there, watching my line in the water, hour after hour....:rolleyes:

Up at 0700 this morning to help a guy from our church pack up part of his house. He put it on the market two weeks ago and sold it in a week! Thankfully, we had a nice breeze, and the temperatures were only the mid-80's at noon - pleasant for Alabama this time of year. We had about 10 other guys from church to help out, so we got a 26 foot truck loaded in just about three housrs. He now has to wait three months for the house he's having built north of Birminham to be finished. I'm letting him use the RV to live in at an RV park near his new home. It needs two new house batteries and one new rear tire, since the sidewalls are pretty badly checked. I told him it was his at no cost other than getting it roadworthy. He thought a new tire would be about $125, LOL. These are 24" truck tires. I told him something like $325 was more likely. ;) I'll drop it off at the RV shop here in town Tuesday and they can do the work while we're in Honduras.

There's a little low in the Gulf, which really doesn't look like it has much chance for development, but there's another area of disturbed weather right about where Alex started out. Hurricanes tend to follow in the path of the one before them. If this thing develops, it will be after we get to Honduras but before we leave. Could get kind of interesting. Y'all have a good night and a fun day tomorrow. We're going to see the Biscuits play tomorrow night, with a super spectacular fireworks show after the game. The Biscuits are in first place, the weather should be decent, and the Philly cheesesteaks will be hot, so I'm looking forward to a good evening.

Let me also take a moment to thank all of you who served or who are still serving. We still have an Independence Day to celebrate because of you, and the guys who paid the ultimate price to protect my pasty white butt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Morning all

Almost forgot to go to work today as it's sunday, it's wierd working sunday to thursday and it plays tricks on your body clock ???.

ARG'ers, glad you had a fun time at Rex's, love to yoin you someday myself.
 
We have gone out camping for the fourth of July weekend, and are at the kid's in-laws' campground. I knew I liked that girl for a reason...:D The wifi is a little flaky, but worth what we're paying for it (included in the price).

Chris, we're pulling for you, buddy. Maybe if your wife talks to somebody she trusts, and they tell her there is no way you caused her health problems, she'll believe them rather than her father. It's atypical, but possible. I'll second (third?) the suggestion of an attorney. Good luck.

This is the 4th time I've tried to post this, and every time i click "submit" it just goes *poof*, and I lose and have to retype...
 
Hello---

We got up to sunshine and really warm temps--supposed to get into the mid 90's by Tuesday here:eek:

Welp, Chris, I put you and your family's name in at our church for their prayers--we'll keep praying as well---

Got word that we now are the owners of a cottage that was up for auction--got it at a rediculous price too. $45,000 for a cottage worth 3X that amount----:D bank foreclosures do that I guess--:eek::rolleyes:

Now, to see how the thing holds together----:eek::):)
 
Good morning. It's 79 and partly cloudy. The high will be 91 and it will still be partly cloudy.

Happy 4th of July! And a big thank you to all those who kept this country free and to those who are doing so now. Well yesterday something that I've been praying for finally happened. We had several long downpours throughout the day and the ground got well and truly drenched. Now I'm not so worried about all those fireworks that will be going off later today. Before the rain came the whole area was one big tinder box just waiting for a spark and the fire dept was preparing for a long night. I got word in my email that my order of weathering powders has been shipped and is on it's way via FedEx and should be here in about a week. There's just one other thing that I have to face. In three days I'll be another year older, but that's something we all have to put up with once a year I guess.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/P1010851.jpg
 
Jeff- Happy early birthday bud, ill try and remember on wednesday to say it again but im just taking precautionary measures :D

Barry- Congrats on the new cottage.

Well were back from the lake. I didnt catch anything except a stupid sunfish. I was fishing from the kayak is about 7 ft of water when i saw a bass start toying with my jig. Then i hear my sister screaming to me from shore, i look to her, than look back and hes gone :mad::(

Hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of july and thank you to all of the brave people here at home and fighting in some far away country that make us able to continue celebrating the day.

Check out this locomotive, sounds like a deal to me :D:rolleyes::p http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-Locomo...ewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item19bd97369e
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gang, just letting you all know we got back to MD safely in spite of the drunks. The 14-hour trip made each of us dog-tired and cranky, but still in one piece.
 


Well I'm sitting down here where Ken, Jim and William, all sat around and talked for several hours after their operating session at Rex's. Ain't hit a lick at a snake since then. Its nice to have a comfortable place to sit and chat, even better when its surrounded by trains!

Ken, next time yall head this way, what ya should do is stop and spend a day in Spencer, NC. They have several real nice hotels there, and it would be good to take a day off from traveling and visit the old SRR shops at Spencer. Its about 1/2 way between Atl and DC.

Need to get back to work, as I have to put in a new NWSL gearbox in one loco, and repair the Loco/tender connection on another for the same client. NBD. Just gotta get up and do it!
 
This is why you should not be a model railroader and do drugs! :eek:

Sorry about your fishing luck, but that is one of the reasons they call it fishing


not catching!!! :D;):rolleyes:

There was an HO scale locomotive the other day for like $100. I couldnt believe it.

Same thng applies to hunting to, its not called "killing" for a reason. :rolleyes:

Well today im not sure what we have planned. Both mom and dad have the day off. Mom mentioned taking a ride north. If we do, im going to try and stop at a hobby shop and maybe pick up some new N scale stuff. The guy who owns the place where we are going to look at some guns is on the way to our camp. Hes got a model 11 Savage in .243 with a scope that id like to take a look at. Im not completely sure about the .243 yet but well see. Hes also a model railroader and has several O scale sets in the downstairs part of the store that arent for sale. Last time i was in there he had 3 N scale cars and a few locomotives. I remember buying 1 in HO and if the rest are still there i think ill buy at least the cars. If we make it to Plattsburgh, there is a Gander Mt. to keep looking and maybe pick up a cart for the kayak. Well see how much i feel like spending though.
 
We're heading back home after our weekend camping trip. I'm leaving the trailer here in storage, since we will be passing here on our way anywhere else, it'll save time and fuel. Not to mention it's secure storage here, if nothing else by virtue of it being in the middle of nowhere. My work, where I've been keeping it, is next to the Interstate near the city. I've been holding my breath that I won't come to work and find the door pried open, and everything stolen or trashed.
 
... Didja bring back any Bama cheerleaders with ya??? Huh? Huh??:rolleyes:

Sorry Karl, but when Vicky saw them in the far-back seat she chased them out in short order.:eek::o

I did, however, convince her to let me place an order with Glenn for 300ft of flex track plus a dozen turnouts that I'll need to build the new layout.
 
Ken Thats some drive home you had, i could drive from here to the south coast and back home again in 14 hours LOL
 
Good morning. It's 78 and sunny but there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms later. The high should be around 93.

Got some news from my neighbor up the road yesterday about the parts I need for the van. He says everyone he checked with states the steering column from the 79 van he has will work on an 81 model with no modification, so he's going to pull the column and steering box from the 79 and let me know when I can pick them up. On the layout front, I was playing around with the settings on the Nikon L20 I have and finally worked out how to get good close-up shots with it. It has to be done with a tripod from almost 3 feet away with full digital zoom but it can be done. I also got a section of road measuring about 110 scale feet (HO of course) pulled up. I had forgotten how hard plaster of paris is, but with the aid of a flat tip screwdriver the job got done. One bad thing though. When I went to clean up the mess I found that the motor in my hand held vac had given up the ghost. I'll have to go to Lowe's and get a new one. Thank God for store credit cards. I had a fine time last night. I went out in the yard, set up my camp chair and had a seat and watched the fireworks displays going off all around the area. The most spectacular ones were over in the direction of the spillway park. It's off limits after dark but the cops tend to look the other way around the 4th of July and New Years. It was a fine way to spend a couple of hours just enjoying what was going on and sipping on some salted lemonade.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN0384.jpg
 


Ummm guys,,,,it's hot out there!:eek:

Gonna get close to that 100 degree mark today, even hotter tomorrow. I'll tell ya how hot it is. Too hot to shoot! :eek:
Lemme explain,,,,
See yesterday I bought a new Storm XT air rifle. 1200 fps Crosman break barrel type with a 4X scope.....perfect squirrel gun. Powerfull enough, but quiet enough to keep the tree huggin neighbors from bothering me! But its been too hot to set up a sighting table and targets to align the scope.....I guess the lil varmints get a reprieve for a few days.....I'd rather stay inside and play with the trains on a day off....Its supposed to be cooler by the weekend, I'll get em then!

KenL You gotta learn to think faster!. When Vicki saw them Bama Cheerleaders in the car, you should have told her they were "exchange" students, and you were gonna "exchange" your college aged daughter for them!!!!:D:D:D
Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be placing an order like that with Glenn. At least for the hidden track. I'm still on the fence about hand laying the visible stuff.:confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top