Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex, I have a Savage Custom 110 in .30-'06 but mine has a muzzle break. Louder than h*ll, but kicks no more than my .270, probably less. "Recoil Anticipation Syndrome" is probably the biggest cause for missed shots, as long as the scope is on the money. The flinch is a curse.

If you want a real "shoulder beater", try a .338 Win Mag. Now that round will thump ya!!! Great for moose and big bears though.

BTW, I told the better half I wanted to go fishin'. I got "the look". Guess that's out as an option for today.......... Out to the shop to paint some trains.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Trainmaster- Welcome to the club! Flo, ill take a nice angus burger with some A1 sauce, a side of onion rings and a dill pickle. Oh yeah and as long as Dana is paying lets have a nice Coke as well. Gets expensive for the new guy :D

Bob- How do you feel about Traditions Firearms? Any thoughts on them, theres one for sale for $50 in my town, its missing like a $20 part, but im going to try and see the gun, and wanted someone other than the sellers thoughts on it. Good luck out on the water, ill be out Sunday, even though itll be way to hot and wont catch anything :rolleyes:

Well fellas i just got home from work. Thank god it was only 70 today and nice and breezy because i left my cooler with my lunch and water at home :o. Family rolls into town tommorow for the holiday weekend. If i dont post again tonight or tommorow im just going to wish you guys a Happy 4th of July right now.
 


"Hey, Flo.... Being the new guy has got the tab and the wife has got my nerves in a knot Give me a Bottle of JD, 24oz. Steak, and large baked potato.!:o"

Well as Chris' world turn's, My wife has no plans for returning anytime soon. They(Her and my FIL) has got it figured I'm the main cause of her relapes! I really didn't know I was a health hazard?:confused: I know being in the same car as me is risky but damn....... I have been blamed for a lot of things, but to bl;ame me for Crohn's relapes? That's a first!:rolleyes:

My son is really taking this stuff hard and God bless him, even he see's the Ill Logic that they are using! He's at their house right now and the wife called me to let me know he's taking it hard! No S***, his world is being riped apart for no Logical Reason! What dumb @$$'$ they are, I told my wife, "You need to grow up and come home that should help the boy and his issues!" As for family Counceling....????? she hasn't set a time or date? And I don't think she will. My FIL is at the heart of this conflict, and it him that derail my marrage!JMO.

Well off to ABC to get some JD I need it!:o
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Dana, welcome to the Coffee Shop. As the other guys have said, we always love new folks, since the tradition is you have to pick up our tabs for your first visit. Flo, I think the Surf n' Turf special sounds good today. :) Glad to hear you're with a woman who not only doesn't hate your hobby, but actually likes it. Join the crowd looking for steady income. Things are tough out there now.

Jeffrey, good luck with the tractor. As you said, it sounds like the type of project that you'll end up one part short. I hope you get the pedal thing worked out too. Your ankle doesn't need any more abuse. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the weathering powders compared to artist's chalks. I'm still on the fence with that.

Matt, unless I'm thinking of the wrong company, Tradition has gone almost 100% into blackpowder rifles now. They made some good shotguns, although I don't know anything about thir rifles. I'd make sure that missing part is actually available before plunking down my money though. Have fun with the family over the Fourth.

Bob, the worst kick I've ever had with a rifle was the H&K G3A4. This is the carbine version of the G3 with the collapable stock and short barrel. Our department bought them as SWAT weapons and long guns for patrol cars. The combination of the 7.62 mm round, the miserable, skinny stock, and the short overall length combined to make that thing a real shoulder breaker. The recoil and blowback was so bad you couldn't hit anything more than about 40 yards away. I was real happy when we got M4's as replacements.

Rex, I'm still back in the stone age, with my one DCS 150 control station. :( I keep saying to myself I need to get a walkaround throttle, but haven't done it yet.

Karl, we'll see 56 in about...maybe...October. :) A "cold" front went through today and it's still 86 out there. Not compaining, though - at least it's below 90, which is chilly for us in July.

Have to go to a birthday dinner for one of the ladies in our church tonight. She turns 90 tomorrow. Down here, it seems like people live into their 90's or die before they're 65. I need to stop at Bass Pro and pick up a hydration pack too. I do really bad in the tropics if I'm not drinking constantly, and having a tube to suck on is the only way I've found to avoid heat exhaustion. That won't be helped by the fact that men don't wear shorts there, so I need to get some nylon pantgs too. Wearing jeans will lead to chafing in places better left unmentioned. :D

Edit: Chris, you were posting the same time I was. I'm sorry to hear things aren't improving with the family situation. Even if your wife doesn't want to go to counseling, please consider going with your son. He is the poor guy who's really being hurt by all this, and counseling will help him realize it's not his fault. It's also not your fault your wife has health problems. That's a convenient excuse for her not to deal with her problems, and your FIL's using it to his advantage. Still, the only person you can change is yourself, so lay off that JD.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris: In my opinion the only one that needs counseling is your dumba$$ FIL! I have relatives who are the same way. They can't keep their noses out of anybody's business either.


Jeffrey, good luck with the tractor. As you said, it sounds like the type of project that you'll end up one part short. I hope you get the pedal thing worked out too. Your ankle doesn't need any more abuse. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the weathering powders compared to artist's chalks. I'm still on the fence with that.
The Peerless tractor is fixed and running again. The hardest part was getting the cowl surrounding the carb off. After the new choke cable was put in it all went back together easily. We have a simple fix worked out on the reverse pedal on the Yardman mower. I can get my foot up on top of the drive pedal and pull it back with my heel to engage reverse. It hurts a bit but not near as much as trying to press that darn reverse pedal down flat footed. I can't even do that standing up! On the comparison of weathering powder to artist's chalks, I've tried both and I find the powders to be much superior. The chalks rub off and have a really nasty habit of vanishing when the fixative spray hits them, the powders are self adhesive and stay put.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow i missed half a page of posts earlier :confused:, guess ill just delete the old one and repost...

Rex- Most shots around here are under 100 yds. Occasionaly someone will throw some lead 150yds up the skidder trail. Im not wild about my dads 30-06 because it just doesnt feel comfortable in my hands. The kick isnt a major reason against it.

Jim- The Traditions firearm im looking at is a muzzleloader, so most likely ill be able to find parts, but ill double check before handing any money over.
Trainmaster- Welcome to the club! Flo, ill take a nice angus burger with some A1 sauce, a side of onion rings and a dill pickle. Oh yeah and as long as Dana is paying lets have a nice Coke as well. Gets expensive for the new guy :D

Bob- How do you feel about Traditions Firearms? Any thoughts on them, theres one for sale for $50 in my town, its missing like a $20 part, but im going to try and see the gun, and wanted someone other than the sellers thoughts on it.

Chris- Im going to second Jim on the JB, ive got no problems with alcohol, but tip the glass because your celebrating how hard youve been working.

Well fellas i just got home from work. Thank god it was only 70 today and nice and breezy because i left my cooler with my lunch and water at home :o. Family rolls into town tommorow for the holiday weekend. Theyre doing some road work up in front of the restuarant. I watched a reefer trailed slip off an 8 inch lip in the black top on the side of the road. That got the heart going thats for sure, i saw it jolt over and thought she was going over. Being on one of the busiest roads in the county has its advantages, besides the whole tractor trailer thing, today i saw a smart car with a Canoe tied on top, the car was prolly 3/4 the length of the canoe :D. Oh yeah then there was the Herzog hi-rail pickup and the Canadian Pacific Cargo van that goes by on a daily basis. Its pretty neat working outside.

If i dont post again tonight or tommorow im just going to wish you guys a Happy 4th of July right now.
 
Tradition Muzzle loaders are OK, not great, just OK. Decent price for what you get.

I'm partial to Thompson Center. They actually hold the accuracy record for muzzle loaders. Knight's are overrated and over priced. Nice guns, but not that good or much better than some others. Another thing to consider is the Encore rifle. Only a single shot, but very versatile as you can buy a ML barrel as well as a good center fire barrel for the same frame. But, you gotta make that first shot count as teh second may never happen. Why? The deer is gone and they can get lost in a hurry, and die somewhere that you will never find.

Whatever gun you choose, Practice, practice, practice. I've been able to "stack" 10 rounds within 1/8" at 200 yards on a good day. On a great day, closer. A lot has to do with the weapon and the round. And of course, my familiarity with the weapon.

Chris, I think you wife's problem is that her old man passed along some bad genes....

Bob
 
Jeff, I haven't seen the foot pedal, but can you maybe weld a piece of rebar to it so you can move it with your hand?

Chris, I can tell you the JD only helps while you're drinking it, and will give the FIL something else to point at as a reason why...
 
Jeff, I haven't seen the foot pedal, but can you maybe weld a piece of rebar to it so you can move it with your hand?
No can do! The drive pedal and reverse pedal are one and the same and attaching any piece of metal to it will overbalance it as there's there's little support underneath and it won't work correctly. The brake pedal also gets in the way of that idea.
 


Hey guy's,

I decided against the JD.........................
























I instead went with some good old southern comfort;):D. come on guys I neeed it:D;)! I hadn't had a good night sleep in over 10 days, so there!:D;) Don't worry guys I won't become a drunk! ;):p
 
"Hey, Flo.... Being the new guy has got the tab and the wife has got my nerves in a knot Give me a Bottle of JD, 24oz. Steak, and large baked potato.!:o"

They(Her and my FIL) has got it figured I'm the main cause of her relapes! I really didn't know I was a health hazard?:confused: I know being in the same car as me is risky but damn....... I have been blamed for a lot of things, but to bl;ame me for Crohn's relapes? That's a first!:rolleyes:

Chris...My first wife had Crohn's and it had nothing to do with relationships. We were already divorced by the time she found out she had that and emphezema. We got along better after we were divorced than we did married. Go figure! She passed 3 1/2 yrs ago. And I concur with bnsf971, don't give the FIL more ammo. Hang in there Buddy, we all got your back.

Dang! This tab is really growin' here. At this rate I'm gonna have to re-consider staying with DC instead of DCC:confused:
 
Evening, everyone.

Jeffrey, I guess I've just gotten used to how much chalks to use so the dullcote doesn't wipe it out. More and more folks are saying the weathering powders are the bee's knees, so I guess I'll have to pop for a set. :)

Matt, are you sure you want a muzzle loader? I don't know how much experience you have with long guns, but muzzle loaders can be a real handul for a new shooter. They're also loud enough to scare off all the wildlife within a mile. :eek: If you're looking for a good, used deer rifle, see if you can find a Ruger Model 77 (not the newer Mark II). They come in a bunch of different calibers, including the .17 Mach II, which Alabama made legal for deer hunting last year. They are light, well made, and are noted for their accuracy. You can sometimes pick up mid-80's models in decent shape for $200. As Bob said, the most important thing is to get to know your weapon like the back of your hand and spend twice as much time practicing than you think you'll ever need.

Chris, in all seriousness, I think I went two weeks with about four hours sleep total when my first wife died. Call your doctor and ask for a prescription for some Ambien. You'll sleep for eight hours and not feel dopey in the morning, something that can't be said for JD or SC. :) The hardest thing to do is take this one day at a time, but it's the only way you'll get through it. Tomorrow will arrive soon enough without you living there already.

Dana, sorry about that tab but at least Chris hasn't tried to steal your credit card...yet. :D

Finally got some of the medical supplies I need for my Honduras trip that I ordered two weeks ago. There are more coming, and the delivery date has been moved back to July 7, the day I leave. Rats! I hope Fed Ex can do a little better than that. I'm taking enough stuff to do everything but brain surgery. Probably went overboard, but I don't want to be 4 hours from the nearest hospital and need something I wish I would have bought. Whatever consumables I don't use, I can leave at the small clinic they have there. The total supply consist of something like two bandaids and an ibuprofen. Whenever I think things are tough here, I remember how tough they can really be elsewhere. What a lucky accident to have been born in the good old USA.
 
Jim- Yes ill be purchasing both a muzzleloader and a centerfire rifle, im just watching the dollar signs rise and my summer job savings just disappear :rolleyes: Ive been shooting for about 5 years. My personal best is hitting a quarter with my .22 at about 50ft. Im more of a long gun guy than a pistol shooter, but dont get me wrong, my dads 9mm or his friends .380 are a blast to shoot :D. Ill check out the rifle you mentioned tommorow. I always thought of the .17 cal as more of a varmint gun though.
 


Dana, you only get credit if you arleady have a credit card...then Chris steal it and you have no more credit. :)

Matt, the .17 Mach II is a 25 grain, 3900 FPS hollow point round. Even though the .17 caliber round has been mostly assosciated with varmint hunting, this round (as well as the Mark IV magnum) were tested using gelatin blocks and found to have a better expansion pattern than larger rounds, like the .270. You'll have to check if .17 magnum type rounds are legal for deer in New York, but the Alabama Department of Fish and Wildlife OK'ed it last year after a series of tests showed the flat trajectory over 200 yards and the hollow point expansion had at least as good a probability of a first round kill than any of the other smaller rounds on the market. There are several law enforcement agencies testing it now as a replacement for heavier round sniper rifles. The Ruger 77 was made in everything up to the .308, so you should be able to find one that's legal in NY state.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top