Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Keep your chin up and it'll all work out in the end, easy for me to say but you gotta do it. I've been on my arse for 12 months wondering what the hell went wrong, it's finally coming back together now, i started my new part time job yesterday in a big old statley home / museum as housekeeper, and 2 days into the job i think i have died and gone to heaven, it's fantastic and i also get to keep my firefighting job to
 


Good morning. It's 76 and cloudy. The high will be around 87 and there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms today. Hopefully we'll get some rain.

Did some weathering work on some freight cars yesterday and that was about it. Today shouldn't be much different as my ankle is still too sore to put weight on for long. Hopefully it'll be a bit better tomorrow as I'll have to out and about taking care of some bills. Got the grocery shopping to do tomorrow as well.
 
Lfoot
For your price range, you almost have to go with a bolt action rifle or a shotgun. Even then, you probably need to look around at pawn shops or the used rack of an "outdoors" retailer.

A lot depends on the woods you hunt in: brush/heavy undergrowth, long clear shots. also, depends on stalking or stand hunting and how quick and accurate you are on dropping in on target.

This is what I used and many in my area use. It really comes down to a personal preference.

Brush, stand or stalking (jump shooting), less 50 yards: I used a Remington 12 gauge, Mod 870 pump with 3" chamber, ribbed barrel.

For stand or stalking with +50 yard view with heavy trees/little brush: Marlin lever action Mod. 336A, 30/30

Long straight shots in open: Remington Auto 270 w/scope, or pump. (I had a "too heavy" Browning but the Remington felt better and gave me greater accuracy) Some use a .243, but I found them a little light.

Long shots but some brush or into brush: a 30-06 will get through it better than a 270. lots of knock-down power.

If you are just starting out and can only afford one, I would go with the Remington 870 and try to hunt an area suitable for its range. I also used the model 1100 auto, but still love the feel and smoothness of the 870 more.

BTW: I built two CVA black powder rifles: the Kentucky 45 and Hawkins 50. Lots of fun building and even more to shoot.

Hope this helps you some.;):)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lfoot
For your price range, you almost have to go with a bolt action rifle or a shotgun. Even then, you probably need to look around at pawn shops or the used rack of an "outdoors" retailer.

A lot depends on the woods you hunt in: brush/heavy undergrowth, long clear shots. also, depends on stalking or stand hunting and how quick and accurate you are on dropping in on target.

This is what I used and many in my area use. It really comes down to a personal preference.

Brush, stand or stalking (jump shooting), less 50 yards: I used a Remington 12 gauge, Mod 870 pump with 3" chamber, ribbed barrel.

For stand or stalking with +50 yard view with heavy trees/little brush: Marlin lever action Mod. 336A, 30/30

Long straight shots in open: Remington Auto 270 w/scope, or pump. (I had a "too heavy" Browning but the Remington felt better and gave me greater accuracy) Some use a .243, but I found them a little light.

Long shots but some brush or into brush: a 30-06 will get through it better than a 270. lots of knock-down power.

If you are just starting out and can only afford one, I would go with the Remington 870 and try to hunt an area suitable for its range. I also used the model 1100 auto, but still love the feel and smoothness of the 870 more.

BTW: I built two CVA black powder rifles: the Kentucky 45 and Hawkins 50. Lots of fun building and even more to shoot.

Hope this helps you some.;):)


Thanks Rex,
Ive been checking out a few different gun shops and called my dads friend last night to see if he can order the muzzleloader. Honestly what i think is gonna happen is im going to wind up with my dads Savage 30-06 and hes going to get the new gun he wants :rolleyes::p. Honestly though, im hoping to buy my own gun because his is real light and therefore kicks like a bas****. Not to mention his is black synthetic stock with a silver barrel, and im really partial to a black barrel with camo stock :D, speaking of which one is probably on the gun rack at the gun shop up the road :)

Mostly shots under 100yds, closer to 75yds. Not really heavy timber but second growth timber. We moved to a different camp on the same lease this year so itll be hunting season before i get a real good feel of the land.
 
Thanks Rex,
Ive been checking out a few different gun shops and called my dads friend last night to see if he can order the muzzleloader. Honestly what i think is gonna happen is im going to wind up with my dads Savage 30-06 and hes going to get the new gun he wants :rolleyes::p. Honestly though, im hoping to buy my own gun because his is real light and therefore kicks like a bas****. Not to mention his is black synthetic stock with a silver barrel, and im really partial to a black barrel with camo stock :D, speaking of which one is probably on the gun rack at the gun shop up the road :)

Mostly shots under 100yds, closer to 75yds. Not really heavy timber but second growth timber. We moved to a different camp on the same lease this year so itll be hunting season before i get a real good feel of the land.

I want a real version of this just the way my model is:
 
I want a real version of this just the way my model is:

M15 Chris? If so come visit me, the nieghbor (across the street and down one) supposeably has an arsenal that can rival Bin Ladens. His son (nieghbor to the right) just moved in a week ago and he was over last night. Somehow we got talking about firearms and he mentioned his dads collection. He mentioned something like 2 M15s, a few AKs, some snipers with scopes that can see whats on the grill down the block. Those are just his pride and joy, hes got several other handguns as well. Oh yeah, and considering buying a 50 cal. :eek:
 
Littlefoot, that arsenal is second rate!! Come visit me sometime and we can make some REAL noise. And I've got a .50BMG Barret. If you stand close enough, the muzzle blast will kill you. Definitely makes a lasting impression on who ever fires the thing.

As far as your shopping, I have Thompson Center muzzle loaders. I think they are more accurate than even a Knight. Cheaper too.

For your rifle, hard to beat a Remington 870, but if you want a centerfire, I'd recommend a Remington 700 in a 7mm Remington Mag or a .270. And there's nothing at all bad about the .30-'06 you mentioned. I have a custom Mauser in that caliber that is a real tack driver. I've got a .338 Magnum for moose and big bear. Gotta love the knockdown power of the big bores.

I hunt with pistols now, though. More challenging. Even a .30-'06 Encore is in the mix. Talk about a handful!!! Add to that pistol a group that includes a Contender w/16" tapered barrel in .35 Remington, and a group of S&W's, a Colt, and a Dan Wesson in .44 mag and I wouldn't hesitate taking any one of them to the field. I've shot a deer at about 185 yards with the Contender. And a an elk with the Encore at just over 200 yards by laser rangefinder. Not bad with a pistol.

The motto I do my best to fill is, "One shot, one kill." Hunting ethically is the prime directive. The animal should not suffer. Many hunters are overconfident when applying their skills to the field. I doubt many could make a shot over 50 yards, let alone 100 yards or more.

I once shot a bighorn out West that took us nearly 4 hours to climb down from our mountain, across the valley, and back up the next mountain to tag. He wasn't going anywhere though. "One shot, one kill."

Bob
 
Littlefoot, that arsenal is second rate!! Come visit me sometime and we can make some REAL noise. And I've got a .50BMG Barret. If you stand close enough, the muzzle blast will kill you. Definitely makes a lasting impression on who ever fires the thing.

As far as your shopping, I have Thompson Center muzzle loaders. I think they are more accurate than even a Knight. Cheaper too.

For your rifle, hard to beat a Remington 870, but if you want a centerfire, I'd recommend a Remington 700 in a 7mm Remington Mag or a .270. And there's nothing at all bad about the .30-'06 you mentioned. I have a custom Mauser in that caliber that is a real tack driver. I've got a .338 Magnum for moose and big bear. Gotta love the knockdown power of the big bores.

I hunt with pistols now, though. More challenging. Even a .30-'06 Encore is in the mix. Talk about a handful!!! Add to that pistol a group that includes a Contender w/16" tapered barrel in .35 Remington, and a group of S&W's, a Colt, and a Dan Wesson in .44 mag and I wouldn't hesitate taking any one of them to the field. I've shot a deer at about 185 yards with the Contender. And a an elk with the Encore at just over 200 yards by laser rangefinder. Not bad with a pistol.

The motto I do my best to fill is, "One shot, one kill." Hunting ethically is the prime directive. The animal should not suffer. Many hunters are overconfident when applying their skills to the field. I doubt many could make a shot over 50 yards, let alone 100 yards or more.

I once shot a bighorn out West that took us nearly 4 hours to climb down from our mountain, across the valley, and back up the next mountain to tag. He wasn't going anywhere though. "One shot, one kill."

Bob

Ill agree with everything you said bob. Im really leaning towards the CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum. I think im going to order it friday with the camo stock. Id definately like to have a centerfire rifle. My dads 30-06 is ok, im not wild about it. Id rather buy a used gun that i want and that i would own, rather than use my dads which i dont particularly care for, and not have it be mine. Im leaning towards a .243 because the pansey in me wants less recoil, but i like the 30-06 because i want the more powerful gun, no way am i aiming at a black bear with a .243.

One of my dads buddys is a gun dealer, and we usually get a really nice deal from him on our firearms. Im sure ill wind up with a nice used rifle, and then just restock it.
 


LF, the ballistics of a .243 forces the hunter to be damned accurate and the round MUST be placed in the ol' "boiler room" EVERY time. No exceptions. Even excellent shooters get a "flier" from time to time. Look at a .270. Ballistics are much better and allow for a slight bit of error. Even a .260 caliber would be better. I would even recommend a .257 Roberts though rounds are hard to find and can be expensive when you do find them. Most shooters of this round reload.

The '06 is probably the most forgiving round, for the animal. Plenty of down range ballistics and punch. Relatively flat trajectory, too. You may end up with that gun when the time comes. And, of course, right now it's free. Always a good thing. The ammunition for the '06 is plentiful and cheap, too. Just make sure you practice, practice, practice. Not just one or two days, either. I used to shoot 3000-5000 rounds a week when shooting competitively. Depending on the discipline.

I've shot Camp Perry many times, 6 actually. finished in the Top 25 four times.Before shooting that meet, I would shoot maybe twice that each week for 2-3 months, many times shooting over 10,000 rounds a week. No wonder I'm deaf in one ear and unable to hear out of the other.

Another word of advice. Every weapon has its choice of ammunition that is more accurate than the others. Try various rounds to determine which is best for your gun. I have a .22-250 that can light a wooden match at over 200 yards with one round and can't even find the 10-ring with another manufacturer's offering at 100 yards.

Bob
 
Evening, everyone.

Not much time for the computer lately. I've been trying to get my paramedic kit restocked (since I'm the medical help for about 25 missionaries, the poor slobs) and carrying on a long distance war with the guy who has been running the network and computer systems for the mission resource center. He has been terminated, but still lives in town, and I need his help to figure out how he has the network set up. Claims to have been a big-time system administrator but can't provide me with a network architecture diagram. He's also a Linux wonk who hates Windows. He seems to have forgotten that part of the reason for the computers is to teach the locals Microsoft Office so they can get jobs. I really don't care what kind of system we have, but Linux won't run Office. I can see this isn't going to be a fun trip. :(

Chris, it sounds like you are going about things is the right way. Your son still has a mother, so she needs to be treated with respect, even when you don't feel like it. You also need to protect yourself, so moving assets is a good idea. I'm praying that, after a few weeks with dad, she might find out you're not so bad after all. I'm happy to hear your son came home though. The unemployment issue is a big one, since Congress is blocking any further extension of unemployment benefits past the current period. I hope the job at the big box store works out.

Rex, that "anti virus" thing has been the scourge of the internet for the last few months. The authors keep updating the program to stop real anti virus programs from running, including AVG, Norton, McAffee, and Spybot. The worst thing is the people who click to buy the program. Not only does it charge your credit card $49.95, your credit card number is then sold to other crooks, and the charges run up fast until the credit card company's fraud department picks it up. The Justice Department has been after these guys since 2008, but most of them are located eastern Europe, so there's not much they can do except got through Interpol and hope for cooperation from ISP's in the various countries they operate from. Fat chance. Most of this comes from legitimate web sites that hare hacked, with a redirect to the fake pop-up when you reach a certain page. One of the operations has taken in more than $1 million from this fraud, according the DOJ. They are a pretty smart bunch of programmers, and there's a lot of money in internet crime. BTW, I haven't forgotten Friday, and still plan to be there at 1000.

Steve, I was reading an article on one of the weather sites I frequent that England has had the driest first half of the year since 1949. I guess that accounts for all your woods fires. Sounds like you landed a pretty cool part-time job.

Corey, glad to hear your wife is out of the hospital. If she really has a lot of adhesions, they will need to operate to relieve the pain, and there's very little chance of saving her fertility. :( In vitro is both tricky and expensive. Adoption ain't cheap either, but at least you may be giving a child a better home than they would have otherwise.

Matt, Bob and Rex are the two go-to guys for advice about guns. In my younger days, I hunted deer with either a Remington 870 with 3" slug ammo or the trusty 30-06. Most of my later life was finding the best guns for two legged animals, who shoot back when you hunt them :) I did go bear hunting with my uncle when I was 15 up in what was then the Yukon Territory of Canada. It was about the most miserable week of my life - I had the trots the whole time and the mosquitoes and giant biting flies were enough to drive you batty. It's a long story, but I was the only one to shoot a bear, and I did it with an M-1 carbine. Not the ideal bear hunting weapon, but 16 rounds of .30 caliber M-1 rounds at a distance of maybe 20 yards did the job. My uncle was mad because I ruined the pelt with so many bullet holes. I was just glad the danged thing didn't kill me. :D

Phillip, I'm glad to see and hear from you again. What's new with you and what have you been up to?

Man, it has been hotter than blue blazes here. Today was the first day in the last eight we didn't hit 100 - just 96, almost sweater weather. :rolleyes: After a week of rain being all around us, we did finally get a good soaking today, with 2.13 inches in a little less than an hour. That was a real toad choker. Might get some more tomorrow if we're lucky. Hurricane Alex is no more, going ashore in a very sparsely populated area of Mexico. Good thing the low pressure trough over us was strong enough to turn it to the west. If Alex had gone to the northeast and spent more time over the Gulf, it would have been a major hurricane, something we really don't need right now. I leave for Honduras a week from today. There's another suspicious looking area of disturbed weather in the Caribbean that I hope doesn't have my name on it. The area of Honduras I'll be in is hard to get to when the weather is good. If we get hit by a hurricane, or even a strong tropical storm, my 10 day vacation may be a little longer than I anticipated. :cool:
 
Dana, you can sit anywhere but in my lap..... And watch out for flying monkey dung. Chris gets a bit excited when newbies drop in.

Hey, guys, new meat!!!!!

Flo, I'll have that Delmonico, medium well, please, with the fixin's. Blue cheese on the salad. And a piece of that blueberry pie. Put it on the new guy's tab.

Bob
 
Greetings all! Is the seating reserved here, or can you just squat anyplace..LOL!

Dana, you can sit anywhere but in my lap..... And watch out for flying monkey dung. Chris gets a bit excited when newbies drop in.

Hey, guys, new meat!!!!!

Flo, I'll have that Delmonico, medium well, please, with the fixin's. Blue cheese on the salad. And a piece of that blueberry pie. Put it on the new guy's tab.

Bob
Hey, a new customer! I'll have what Bob's having, and ditto on the tab!
 
Good morning. It's 75 on it's way to a high of 86. There's an 80% chance of thunderstorms today and we'll probably only get a minor shower that will evaporate as soon as it touches the ground.

Being that today is the first of the month I'll be out paying some bills that can't be paid through the mail or paid online. Let's face it. There are still some places that insist on staying in the dark ages. Yesterday I picked up the part I need to fix the tractor and get it going again. As usual Murphy will likely snicker and I'll end up needing something that has to be ordered from the dark side of the moon and will take six weeks to get here at the fastest. The grocery shopping has to be done and I have to help my father come up with some way to shift his Yardman mower from forward to reverse without having to use the badly designed foot pedal that it has. That things absolutely kills my ankle every time I use it.
 
Greetings all! Is the seating reserved here, or can you just squat anyplace..LOL!

Welcome Dana!!
You can squat anyplace (just don't pee:rolleyes:)

Greetings to the rest of you! Flo, howsabout steak, 2 eggs over easy, hash browns and a side of scrapple!
New meat always makes me hungry!:D

Oh, by the way. it was 56 degrees out on the deck this a.m., with a high predicted of 79, 20% humidity!
Yahoo!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a gorgeous day in Hoosierland. I'm going to paint some engines that I have been ignoring for months. I've got a GP9 High Nose, an SD 24, and a pair of RS3's that need to go under the "brush". The SD 24 is being badged it for the Monon. The GP9 will be tagged for the C&O, and the RS units will take on the flag of the NYC. If I had a couple of powered P2K E-unit chassis, I'd finish my two E8's. I'd almost be caught up then, with the exception of the cab forward steam switchers. Got six of those to finish. When I get those done they will be for sale. I sold one on eBay not long ago for $120!!! Not bad for a $35 investment for the engine and parts. It just takes a couple of hours of uninterrupted time to do one. Weathering takes a bit longer.

Might go fishing instead though. Hard to ignore the urge to wet a line. Well, better get busy decidin'.

Bob
 
Hi Dana and sure you can have a seat. Welcome to the Coffee Shop:). Talk is plentiful an the lies are outrageous!:D

Jim: See you in the morning. Don't know if you have a throttle that will work with my DCS200, but if so.... bring it. If not, don't worry about it; I have two and will probably dispatch only. Looking forward to seeing you and KenL.

KenL: Stay away from the Bama cheerleaders. You need to come straight over here and I don't need to bail you out:D.

Lfoot: That Savage 30/06 is one heck of a reliable gun and it has been popular for years. Yes, is has a whooper of a kick, but it will stop most anything. The main thing is to be comfortable with what you shoot and what will do the job. That is why my favorite is a Remington .270 . The biggest problem with a .243 is if you have brush, its size and velocity allows it to be deflected easily and not punch through. That is why around here, some use it for varmint shooting or long range. However, just shooting around trees, it will be ok with a dead-on shot. A .270 can usually handle some brush and is very comfortable to shoot. (the reason I have emphasized brush so much, many of our woods has thick undergrowth. Long shots are usually done on fire breaks, power line RofW, across fields (meadows), or from high vantage points, usually 100-300yds)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Thanks for the welcome! :cool:

Hey FLO start me a tab please. Add a Western Omelette, homefries, and drinks around the house!

I guess I should let y'all know a little about me. I'm a retired OTR truck driver, have been into model railroading since I can remember, have worked in scales from 1:160 to 1:1, and just now restarting my collection again. (Had to sell out my N-scale due to bad marriage). However, I due have a wonderful woman in my life now who likes trains, wants to participate in the hobby, and has given me trackage rights to the basement of a large ranch style home.:D:D Now if I just had a steady income...:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top