Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, what is a Family Life merit badge? From my days as a scout, I remember things like fishing and woodcarving. I assume this must be one of the modern additions to scouting I don't know about.

Jim

Family Life was first offered in 1991. It is an Eagle Required Merit Badge.

From looking over the requirements, reading the pamphlet, and listening to my son and his Counselor interact it is a good badge. Last night they talked about the requirements that deal with how families are structured and his place in the family. It also forced him to think about why he is important to his family other than Mom and Dad just telling him he is. The badge will take him into September to complete due to the projects and chore charting. He has to track his chores for 90 days. For him that is a breeze. He has had assigned chores since he was 8 years old. He has to complete two projects. One is for the family and the other is with the family. For his project for the family he is planning to replace the wood picket fence around the fish pond area. He has not finalized what his other project will be. It could be replacing the basement window well covers and dryer vent, helping his mother line the front yard flower beds with Belgian blocks, or something else.

With this badge and Personal Fitness he will be busy this summer. On Sunday he will again be meeting with the Counselor to go over his exercise plan for the Personal Fitness Badge. They will also be taking their first run.
 
Now to make things harder My FIL 3 weeks ago put a boot in my @$$ cause I'm not looking for a normal steady 40 hr. a week job to help with the bills. and said a MAN with a family would find a such a job to support the family. Also he also reminded me that the extra stress on my wife is making her get sick. I reminded my FIL the State unemployment is 1.5 million and the average 40hr a week job is very rare and there are no jobs that pay better than 10 hr. and all these jabes are 32 hours or less? With Unemployment and the few lawns I got I'm making more than I would working a 40hr/$10 job.
This looks like a case of the "haves" and "have not's". Your FIL likely has such a job and thinks that they are out there a dime a dozen and ripe for the picking. That makes him a "have". You on the other hand have tried hard to find such a job and know how hard they are to find and in fact that they are almost as scarce as hens teeth. That makes you a "have not". The "haves" rarely can see how it is on the other side of the fence until something happens to put them in the position of a "have not". Your FIL won't be able to see the simple logic in this until he becomes a "have not" and has to apply for work in your mowing business. If it was me I would have told the FIL that if he wants me to have a 40 hr aweek/$10 an hour job he could damn well help me to find one. Maybe then he would know how hard they are to find and he might close his trap before I have to nail it shut. I had a similar problem with my father when I was forced into medical retirement due to my medical problems. He thought that I should be able to do the type of work he does simply because I'm younger than he is. I had told him many times that age doesn't enter into the equation. He didn't have to contend with the level of pain that I have to put up with and he couldn't understand how it could be a limiting factor. Then he came down with a case of sciatica in one leg and got a small taste of what I go through on a daily basis with the pain hitting me from the neck down and how hard it is to do the simplest task. He couldn't stand to have that pain in his leg and he didn't have to work very hard to imagine how it would feel in his other leg and his back. That got him off my case.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 81 and sunny. The high is expected to be 92 with a 50% chance of thunderstorms later.

We got some good rain showers yesterday but they still amount to just a drop in the bucket. I'm feeling well enough today that I should be able to get some light housework done, after which I won't be feeling so good and wondering what the heck was I thinking. Some of that housework will be clearing the clutter from the layout. There are odd bits of mail, empty bottles, unneeded pieces of old kits and some cutoff pieces from structures that are just taking up space. There are also some old boxes under the layout that need to be cleared out. I also need to clean the air conditioner filter provided I get the afore mentioned boxes out of the way. One thing that needs to be done is that I need to sort through the rolling stock on the layout and decide on what I want left there. The rest will go up in the cabinet where it will be out of the way and eventually rediscovered during some future archaeological dig.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN2265.jpg
 


Chris - I can understand your battle with your wife's Crone's.
My daughter has it and it has ruled her life for the last 4 years. Some days, she is a commode queen when she is not knocked out with drugs. We have my two youngest grandsons staying with "Grandma" during the day about 12-18 days a month. My SIL does a great job with the kids when he gets home from work.
She was pretty stressed after my SIL got laid off after the first of the year. He took a $13,000 pay cut to get insurance back and cuts grass on Saturdays to try to make ends meet. She is improving, but feels she is missing the kids growing up years.
Keep doing your best for both your wife and son. They will be around a lot longer than your FIL. We will keep y'all on the prayer list.
 
Crone's disease is something I definitely do not want. Diverticulitis is bad enough! I have to put up with it once or twice just about every month. I'm not looking forward to my colonoscopy next month. No telling what the doc will find.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, I'll echo Karl and Jeffrey's comments. Your FIL is a meddling idiot. Crohn's disease is made worse by a lot of things, stress only being one of them. Does your FIL think he's not contributing to his daughter's stress by trying to break up your family? You are doing the right things, and his daughter is your responsibility, not his. Try to keep your cool with the guy but stand your ground. I'll also keep you and the family in my prayers.

Now that it's mentioned, I havent seen Phillip around in a long time either. Does anyone know an e-mail address ore phone number so we can check on him?

Tom, I guess that type of merit badge is needed nowadays, but it still sounds like something parents shoudl have already taught their children. It's apparent your son already has been taught the things he needs to complete the merit badge without the need for a counselor.

Karl, it's 102 here with a heat index of 113. :eek: Not a drop of rain anywhere in the state and my lawn is now starting to tun brown again. Matt, you can send some of that rain down here any time you want. :)

Mikey, sorry your daughter has to deal with Crohn's disease too. One of my best friends has it and has been fighting it most of his life. Very few people understand how debilitating the disease can be.

I need to get ready for a meeting at church regarding the mission trip I'm going on to Honduras. I'll be spending part of my time installing a wifi hotspot for the resource center. I need to mount an antenna on the roof of the building to get enough range. The antenna is five feet long, so the first problem is how I get the airline to accept it as checked baggage. I'll then be crawling around on a hot tin roof for several hours to get the mast and antenna installed. The temperature down there is about the same as Cancun - really hot! I don't know how I get talked into these things.

There's also a ominious looking low pressure system off the coast of Honduras that may develop into a tropical depression by Saturday. I'm hoping it doesn't, but, if does, there's a 50-50 chance it will make it to hurricane status by Monday. The storm could either go inland over the Yucatan Peninsula or break out into the Gulf. If that happens, the effect on the oil spill is really unknown, but all the containment efforts and secondary well drilling will have tgo stop as ship are evacuated back to port. Hopefully it will all just go away.
 
Now that it's mentioned, I havent seen Phillip around in a long time either. Does anyone know an e-mail address ore phone number so we can check on him?
Jim: I left him a message on my forum letting him know you're wondering about him. He was there yesterday.
 
I got the front room cleaned up a bit and some of the clutter cleared off the layout and the kitchen trash taken out. Now my back and ankles are screaming insults at me and I'm wondering what the heck I was thinking. About half the boxes that were under the front of the layout are gone. It's 90 outside but the humidity makes it feel much hotter. I'll be going down to my parent's place around 6 this evening to get me a piece of the watermelon they have.
 
WOW its hot!! Thats all i can say about work this evening. Started at 130 and only made to 430 before i had to go, i try not to be there while its open. Anyways, working at the hottest time of the day, in a parking lot, at 90 degrees, with zero wind, and no shade wasnt that fun. It was suppose to rain while i was there. Not a freaking drop!! :mad: Im usually pretty good in the heat, hell i dont even sunburn, but today i actually started feeling alittle lightheaded and had to go work on the other side of the property which had about a 3 ft strip of shade. I packed 2 waters and 3 small gatorades. I used every single one of them. :rolleyes: But i didnt quit! :D

Which made me think about Chris. What does your FIL do that makes lawn services look like a bad occupation. Sure its not a docter, lawyer or brain surgeon, but this can be tough work. And this is coming from a kid whose only doing it part time in NY!! I cant imagine doing it full time in Florida!!

PS guys, just realized this was my 500th post :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Ahhhh, we caught a break. I came home from work and was so played out that I took a 3 hour nap after a cool shower. Imagin my surprise to wake up after a front moved through. Its now about 80 outside, no humidity and a light 10 mph breeze! :) I feel like a new man.

It is kinda disturbing though, that I have now reached the age where a nap is the highlight of my day! (Rex, Jim, boB, I'm sure you can relate!:rolleyes:)

Jeffrey, let us know when you hear from Phillip please!
 
Wow, no posts since last night? I suppose I'm on here earlier than usual too.

My wife is going in for surgery to fix her endometriosis this morning. We are excited for this to fix her pain and maybe help us have a baby. I have a day of reading at the surgery center and then playing with trains when she comes home. It's a same day surgery, so I have a scheduled, unscheduled day off today.

Have a great day everyone!
 
Thanks Karl.

My Mother, who is a nurse, guessed my Wife's ailment to be endometriosis six months ago without even looking at her. Her Doctors took another six months to diagnose the same thing. This was after how many tests and treatments for other things they thought it may be. Now half way to my out of pocket maximum we are going to surgery.:rolleyes: Oh well, I just want her to be healthy. Away we go!
 
Good morning folks

It was 78 F as I hit the debris littered streets this morning. Our high will be 89 F and thankfully no storms in the forecast.

We got one heck of a punch from Mother Nature yesterday. Springfield, Upper Darby, Broomall, Drexel Hill, and Secane got hit with a short but incredibly powerful storm yesterday afternoon. We have massive damage from 75 plus MPH straight line winds. We were at the pediatricians’ office for my daughter’s sports physical when the storm hit. First the power went out. I walked into the lobby and was surprised to see it was bright and a little windy but nothing unusual. Then a wall of water came across the shopping center parking lot. Suddenly it was like you were in a white cloud. You could not see 10 feet and the wind was unbelievable. Next came ping pong size hail with lightning and thunder. This bad part of the storm lasted for about 10 minutes. Within a half hour it was over.

Now our adventure home began. Our trip to the pediatricians’ office normally takes 15 minutes. It took us about an hour. There were no working traffic lights. Trees, not branches, were down all over the roads. Wires and snap off utility poles were another hazard. In many parking lots there were cars crushed by trees. We had to double back in several areas to get around the damage. In many places it looked like a giant hand came across the trees about 10 feet off the ground and just knocked things down. Many huge trees were knocked completely over with their roots ripped out of the ground.

Amazingly at home we did lose power. There were trees down on several streets close to us. We had a lot of small branches down around the yard but nothing major. The lights flickered on and off numerous times during the evening. Apparently at some point overnight we lost power since I awoke to a flashing clock. They are telling many of our neighbors that it will be Monday before their power is restored.

We did take my daughter to volleyball practice last night. Once we passed through Springfield and Marple it was like nothing happened. By the time we reached Boothwyn it was like they only got a short shower. Coming home on US 1 through Springfield was surreal last night. It was completely dark. There were no traffic lights, street lights, and the shopping centers were pitch black.

The kids will be cleaning up the yard today. They are supposed to have an end of the school year party tomorrow with a rented water slide.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Just got back from my wife's day surgery. We found out that she has one of the worst cases of endometriosis the Doctor has ever seen. Her insides are all stuck together like someone poured glue in an old watch mechanism. The Doctor had very little information for me. She just said we'll talk about it in two weeks. What little information she gave me was fairly quickly shot down by my mother who has worked in surgery as a nurse and supervisor for thirty years. We'll see who's right when this is all over.

At least my wife is sleeping with the aid of Percocet. She didn't think she needed any pain pills earlier. I reminded her that she was still waking up from general anesthesia! Sweet dreams Hun!:)

I think I'll make some trees while I play room service.:D
 
Which made me think about Chris. What does your FIL do that makes lawn services look like a bad occupation. Sure its not a docter, lawyer or brain surgeon, but this can be tough work. And this is coming from a kid whose only doing it part time in NY!! I cant imagine doing it full time in Florida!!

PS guys, just realized this was my 500th post :)


Matt,

I have lived in Florida for over 32 years and have worked outside well over 25 years. My body is use to the heat and properly hydrating it helps alot! Florida is a service industry first state! 90% of jobs are service related.....So naturlly Lawn service safly falls in to this cat. My FIL has no clue to the service industry and really has no clue to human nature either:rolleyes:!


Jim,
All my FIL know about the world is what he see on CNN and Cspan! He honestly believes every word uttered by CNN and the liberal media is true!:rolleyes::mad: He's been watching way to much TV and has no real clue to what reality is......Now he's spreading his unfounded fears on to his daughter/my wife now!:rolleyes:


BTW: Guys thanks for the kind words, My wife has decided to recover at her parents house cause I stress her out accourding to her dad. She's told me she's thinking of leaving and moving into the house that my FIL bought her. My son has exspressed that he wants to stay with me:). I told my wife before she makes any rash decisions on ending our marrage, "Let's seek profesional marrage councling and if they agree with her/FIL decission that I'm the main cause of her stress then we'll end it".....Sounds fair to me?:confused: She now thinking about it......


Got to go cook dinner now CUL!;)
 


Chris, I sure hope things work out for you. It does sound like your in laws are not helping whatever problems you and YOUR FAMILY are having. Running back into the protective arms of your parents is usually not the right move. Especially when you have a kid together. Good luck to you sir.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top