Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 74 and cloudy. The high is supposed to be 93. It'll probably be that in the shade. There's a 60% chance of rain today so maybe that will cool the temps down.

There's been good rain north, south, east and west of us but not here. The grass has only grown one inch since the last cutting and that was a couple of weeks ago. We've gotten some short showers that were just enough to get the windshield wet if you were lucky.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN0059.jpg
 
Good Morning--

We be somewhat sunny and muggy this morning--supposed to be getting cloudier and we are supposed to be showery--heavy at times--with those ol' t'underin'boomers for tonight---

After doing the biweekly vampire visits I thought I might have a bit of MR time---wrong--some people showed up and we ended up playing with my virtual recording studio instead---imagine a 72 track mixer complete with MIDI and sound with Virtual Instruments----analogue synths, bass, drums, and all else with all kinds of effects included--flanges, compressor, expanders, fuzz, wah, and all that as well? And you can expand on this? All in my other puter-----heeheehee:):):D

Well, anyways, we laid down some tracks on this thing and we are rather happy with it----:D

Having a Virtual Recording Studio here makes it so much easier to put out demos and the like--in my case I be working on some stuff----

More MR time today as I'm going to be redoing some more of Williston and Anson--the next town over--oh well---as the saying goes----on with the shew----:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p
 


Good morning folks

It was a humid 80 F as I hit the highways. Our high today is supposed to be 94 F. However, there is the possibility it could be higher and break the record of 97 F. Today could be the hottest day we have had since June of 2008. We are under an Excessive Heat Warning and an Air Quality Alert.

Last night was uneventful. I took my daughter to her flute lesson and did a few little things around the house in the air conditioning.

Tonight my son has a meeting with a Merit Badge Counselor. This is their second meeting. He is working on two badges; Personal Fitness, and Family Life.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning everyone.

I had a very productive day yesterday. My first crop of trees are ready to be 'flocked'. I'm hoping to do that when I get off work tonight. The size of these things brings the scale of my hills into perspective. Without trees, you almost get the impression that they are mountain sides. With trees, you will realize that they are in fact hills instead. I'm kind of glad that I'm only doing about fifteen trees to start with. That way if they stink I can adjust my process for the rest.

It's going to be another muggy day today. Nothing like down south, but it's still uncomfortable.

Have a great day everyone!
 
Mornin' gents.

Its suppose to be about 82 today with some cloudiness.

Summer vacation is finally here. Found out last night at work that theres a pretty good chance i could get a "promotion" at work. I also get to pick up some extra hours there too. I wont complain, more hours= more money in my bank= better car when im 16 :D

I finally figured out why its so quiet in here, what trouble did Chris get himself into? :p Hope Jim is settled in from vacation too. Have a good one fells.
 
I ain't saying it's hot here, but frying eggs on pavement is now considered passe'. By 10 am my shirt needs wringing out, and I have fans blowing on me all day! Yech.
 
Could do with a good rainy day here, just got back from a fire in a pine tree plantation, lol it was hot work.
 


Evening, everyone.

Finally got everything unpacked and took care of the things left undone since we got back late Sunday. I had to go to the doc's yesterday since my neck still feels like there's a bag of marbles inside. He took some x-rays and said I have the same arthritis as the last set showed five years ago, just a little more inflamed now. Nothing can really be done except take things like ibuprofen and vicoden for the pain. Could be worse though. Both my parents had really bad arthritis by my age, and mine is just my neck.

Barry, there are some mean looking storms headed your way now and more developing over the lake and west into Michigan and Indiana. I think you won't get a lot of sleep tonight but I hope nothing too severe develops.

Steve, that was an interesting video. I see (or hear) you guys have the Federal electronic sirens/air horns now. I guess the traditional English alternating horn is out. I did hear what sounded like bells on a few of the trucks, but I would guess they were on some of the older apparatus. The trucks make enough noise but there are nowhere near enough flashie/blinkies on your trucks to satisfy most US firefighters. With all the new LED lights, most of them are literally blinding when coming straight at you, especially at night.

Jeffrey, how is the van coming? I hope you guys got some rain because we sure haven't gotten any of it. The high here was 101 with a high heat index of 113. :eek: I felt like I was back in Mexico again.

Tom, what is a Family Life merit badge? From my days as a scout, I remember things like fishing and woodcarving. I assume this must be one of the modern additions to scouting I don't know about.

Corey, it's amazing how scale size trees cut your big, bare mountains back down to small hill size again. The good thing about hills is that only the trees around the edges of the hills have to look good. You can use any "practice" trees to fill in the middle and they will look just fine from above.

Matt, sounds like you're doing a good job at work. You've got the right attitude about working harder and saving more money. Keep doing it when you're an adult and you can retire young. That's when you get a permanent summer vacation. :)

Yeah, where is Chris? I hope he didn't stick any body parts under a mower when he wasn't supposed to. I suspect he's laying in a big bed of ice and beer with heat stroke. :D

Karl, there are a few of us out here. I remember working in a machine shop that was all steel with no insulation and no A/C when I was a teenager. I lived on nothing but water and salt tablets. That was one of the experiences that convinced me I should go to college and work in an air conditioned office.

Barry, I was just hearing that there was an earthquake near Ottawa. Did you feel it? It was apparently felt over a wide area. I didn't even realize you had earthquakes up there.

Dianna had a tooth capped and another one yanked today so I've been playing nursemaid again. I had to run out and get her an ice cream sundae because the Demerol just wasn't relieving her pain. Somehow, I find that hard to believe, but it was a good excuse to get some ice cream. Hope things are going as well as can be expected for everyone else.
 
Another MIA is Phillip. I have not seen him in months and he only lives approx. 10 miles from me as the crow flies.
 
Jeffrey, how is the van coming? I hope you guys got some rain because we sure haven't gotten any of it. The high here was 101 with a high heat index of 113. :eek: I felt like I was back in Mexico again.
No further progress to report. A neighbor of mine is supposed to have a steering column that will fit it but he's not sure if the harness connector is compatible. He has to compare the two to be sure. Problem is he's busy with his own job and has to squeeze me in when he can. The only other thing remaining is to replace the headlights and install a switch for the taillights.
 
I'm still here, just S@#$ has hit the fan and I'm bussy cleaning it up. My busines is starting to pick up and is growing. Last wednesday my wife was admitted into the Hospital and is still there for problems with her esophigus(sp) and a real bad infection with in her intestine. This is just a common problem with crohns I guess?:confused: Ethire way the Dr.s are having problems getting her pain under control with out turning her into a zombie.

I will attempt to make a long story short:rolleyes:

Now to make things harder My FIL 3 weeks ago put a boot in my @$$ cause I'm not looking for a normal steady 40 hr. a week job to help with the bills. and said a MAN with a family would find a such a job to support the family. Also he also reminded me that the extra stress on my wife is making her get sick. I reminded my FIL the State unemployment is 1.5 million and the average 40hr a week job is very rare and there are no jobs that pay better than 10 hr. and all these jabes are 32 hours or less? With Unemployment and the few lawns I got I'm making more than I would working a 40hr/$10 job.

Last monday(This was before my wife was admitted to the hospital) My son went to stay at the In-laws with his cousin for a week. While he was there the Grand Parents were tring to bribe and get Ryan on their side. My FIL unvailed the GRAND FAMILY PLAN to my son. From what Ryan told me the plan is, my FIL bought a House 2 block from theirs for ryan and my wife to live in. and when Janette get out of the hospital she will go live there with them. They thought that Ryan would side with them, well they did just the opposite he sided with me cause he said to the In-law, "My Dad has done nothing wrong!" FIL told my son that, "I'm killing his mom with stress and worry:rolleyes:!" Well I wern't to know the Grand Plan.....Well I know. Now their scrambling to change gears. My wife is on the fence with this S@#$.

There's more to this mess than I'm telling....but you should get the Idea of whats going on. So I got Unemployment, tring to get this lawn service off the ground and tring to keep my family together. So Who's worried adout the Stress I'm going through?:confused: My FIL told me to Man up!:mad: Either way while my wife is in the hospital I'm holding everything together. I got my A,B,and C plans set to contend with what ever my wife does. I hate to say it, it all hinges on what she does. Either way my son ain't leaving me and that's good! My Wife and In-Laws are @$$ holes but I know they for a fact who ever has the boy holds all the chips. and right now Ryan is on our familys side of this mess.....

Well I got to get ready to go to work and then see the wife in the hospital!
 
Chris
You keep on doing what you are doing! Screw the FIL and his "grand plan" Jobs are scarce out there. I oughta know, Ive been there a few times in the last 2 years. At least you are trying to do more than sitting on your a$$, sucking on the government teat and watching the grass grow. One thing I have seen in the last year is a bunch of guys who make a good living cutting grass. And up here its pretty much an April til October job. You season is a bit longer! No matter what, take care of the boy. No matter what happens, thats you legacy, and the best gifts you can ever give him is a strong work ethic, and a loving home.

The FIL has got to be shown that a "man" can take care of his own, in his own fashion, without meddling from others.

Maybe its time to get him some senility drugs!:eek:

Ok, off the soapbox,
We'll keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.:)
 
Good morning folks

It was a balmy 84 F this morning. Not! It was 84 F and humid. High today will be 97 F with thunderstorms this afternoon. Or so they say. They have been saying that for two days now and we have not seen a drop of rain.

Last night was another stay in the air conditioning evening. I did take my son to meet with his Merit Badge Counselor to go over the two badges he is working on this summer.

Tonight my daughter has what is called a volleyball open gym. From what I can gather it is a practice night that you can work with a coach on something you need to work on.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Chris- Sorry to hear about the troubles buddy. Im alittle to young to really comprehend a whole lot of that. Ive been in the same situation as your son but i was younger so i can understand alittle. Best of luck with everything.

Jim- I dont remember if it was centered around Ottawa or Toronto but the 5.0 was felt even by people in my area and farther south. Im about 175 miles from Ottawa and almost 300 miles from Toronto. Retiring early isnt likely but ill keep dreaming :D. Btw i dont know about the rest of the country but i think NY has like a minimum number of years of work before you can retire. I think retirement age here is like mid 60's. Boy, only another 50 years :eek:

Jeff- Was it you who wanted rain? Come and get all you need its suppose to start at the same time im suppose to go to the restuarant today :mad::rolleyes: Oh well, i look at rain like this, if its raining its not hot and theres no bugs. :D

Leghome- Now that you mention it your right. I dont think ive seen posts from him even outside the coffee shop either.

Steve- Had to turn the volume down on the laptop for that one! Was this a classic firetruck show or just a regular one? There was a big one for volunteer fireman last weekend near me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top