Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright now that ive got a second to relax and post

Had a real great weekend, went to camp on saturday morning and rode the wheelers. Wound up heading down to the swimmin hole to fish around and eventually wound up in the water.

We finally knocked down the damn that was keepin the water high. After having a moment with the biggest damn spider ive ever seen it was relativley easy work.
Rumor has it that a few girls and a guy built the damn to hold back water for kayaking and swimming. Well they succeeded, the beach was gone and the diving rocks were submerged by a solid six inches. I dont know how they did it. If they used kayaks or canoes to haul the rocks im amazed they didnt sink, these rocks were football-basketball sized and bigger.

After that me, my dads friend and his daughter took a nice ride through the woods. I took him to some camps hed never been too and we wound up riding on some real goatpaths. My wheeler does not have a winch. There were a few times i really thought i was stuck. One portion of the trail makes you drive through a wide creek and eventually up the other bank. We finally turned around after i couldnt quite make it up the other bank and tried to roll it in the process.

I drove a Polaris Ranger for the first time saturday too. What a sweet ride. This wasnt the sport model so it didnt go real fast, and after i got used to being on the side and not the center it was alot of fun.

A nice heat lightning show and downpour off the metal roof were awesome to fall asleep to.

I did alittle more thinking about what i want for a car and im really liking terrys suggestion of a cherokee. Im hoping by the time i go to make the purchase, the new model (less boxy one) will be cheap enough to be within the budget, it just looks nicer IMO. Id certainly settle for one of the older models anyways though, just hoping. Im still not completely torn away from the preference of a truck. Itll cost alittle more all around but i dont know its what i want. The jeep is nice, but its not a truck. Got plenty of time to think though :rolleyes:
 


Good morning folks

It was 75 F this morning as I hit the highways. Our high today will be 90 F.

It has been a brutal week and a half. With the end of the school year and work I have not had much time to do anything else. Oh, yeah and throw a couple of scouting events in there too. We had an honors award ceremony for each child. My daughter had her eighth grade promotion ceremony and my son had his science fair project. We also had an awards barbecue for my daughter’s Engineering Team. Thrown in there was my daughter’s eighth grade trip to Hershey Park.

Work has been crazy. We had to review several big projects that are on fast track schedules. At the same time we are having problems with a job that is in construction and are constantly revising and changing things. I have also had to spend several days in the field looking at several of our projects as we are trying to clear up issues on them.

Last weekend was my son’s last scout camping trip for the year. We went to French Creek State Park. We arrived a day late due to the Engineering Team barbecue. The scouts did an orienteering course. We also went swimming in the park’s pool. The scouts tried to get some fishing in but a storm cut that short. My son’s patrol ate well as they tried to make Salisbury steak in a Dutch oven. It came out delicious. Hopefully they will do more cooking like that instead of the other patrol which has been dubbed the Taco Patrol since they have had tacos three times this past year. He also had a meeting with a Merit Badge Counselor for his Personal Fitness Merit Badge and Family Life Merit Badge.

Trainwise I did get some work in. My son and cleaned up around the layout and put some things away. I still some more rolling stock to put away and then we will have a cleaned off layout to work on. I also decided that the P1K Mather stock cars that have been driving me crazy are not worth the effort and boxed them after I removed any parts I could use on other kits. Now I need to finish the Accurail wood box cars and stock car still on the work bench.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Terry- Ive heard of those before, but they fall into the same category as the ranger, not to mention i dont think ive ever seen one on the roads around here.
 
Hot today and still no rain, had 12" of rain according to the weather folks from the start of Jan to the end of May and only 2 days of showers since, 78 f in the shade and still climbing
 
Just catching up on the posts. It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I've snuck in here just a few times to make sure everyone was doing okay ;)

Love the posts on dawgs. I have a Saint Bernard and she is a love. She is not the brightest creature, but she is as sweet a dog as I have ever known. She is a small St B at 95 lbs, and she is quirky and just loveable. Borders on goofy most of the time, but I love her!

My brother and his wife got a couple of Golden's a few months ago and they are a HOOT! They'd had GR's before so they knew what they were in for. As for bathing them...my SIL started running some bath water for herself, left the room to get something and returned to find one of the pups in the tub, playing and having a blast. She left to go get the camera and when she returned, the other puppy had joined the first in the tub. No problem with baths there!

I am a big believer in rescuing dawgs (and all pets!). Same brother rescued a little border collie mix who we named Lucky, but we call Yucky because we just love him so much!! He is one of the best buddies ever!

I rescued hedgehogs for a while and will return to that some day. They are not the ideal pet for everyone, but folks get them for their uniqueness and them throw them away when they learn that they are not what they wanted.
Hedgies are simply...cool. They are nocturnal and stay very busy running in their wheels alllllll night! They are not too social, but the ones I had would come to me when I called. I used to carry a sleeping Morty in my hood as I cleaned the house and he was just fine with that.

So...I am all for rescuing critters. They are the best!! <:///~

Jim...glad you're having a great time!


Have a terrific day, All...it's gonna be a warm one here (but it's a dry heat) :p


Sandy
 
Good morning everyone.

It's humid around here today. When my butt sticks to the leather seats in the car, that's when I've had enough!

I hope all of you dads had a great father's day.

We spent the day with my father in-law at the horse track. We aren't much for gambling, but betting on the ponies is a blast. We usually come away with most of what we wagered. A person could make a case for not betting at all, but then I'm not invested in the race! Free admission, free parking, and five dollar beers. I guess they get their money out of me one way or another.:)

No modeling this weekend. I'm hoping to start on some scenic express super trees tomorrow. I have to do the whole boiling, painting thing first, then maybe some finished trees later in the week. I'm quite excited to have a few trees on the layout. So far it's just ground foam and similar low lying bushes.

I have a long and boring day at work today. At least I have tomorrow to look forward to.

I hope you all have a great day!
 
Good Noon Hour---

I got a whole wack of stuff done over the weekend--namely visiting relatives and doing the relative thing----also got to visit some places that we were not planning on----403 back to Hamilton from Oakville contains certain surprises--ie--when trying for certain turnoffs do not get sucked into a turnoff just before the one you intended to be on---we ended up going half way through Hamilton before we found the way out of it---403 has a neat little area that has the one turnout on top of the other one----by 70' apart---:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Various relatives homes and the way into Hamilton that we got driven into----:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Interesting bridge though----:):)
 


Terry- Ive heard of those before, but they fall into the same category as the ranger, not to mention i dont think ive ever seen one on the roads around here.
Those are pretty common sight down here though it can be somewhat tricky finding parts. Some of the 'back woods' boys down here adapt their own parts from other Jeep designs.
 
One of my neighbors called me yesterday with some news about a 79 steering column. It should fit my 81 van. He has to look at the harness connector to be sure.
 
I can't remember the last time I saw one of these on the road. Pretty rare birds in these parts.

Terry- Ive heard of those before, but they fall into the same category as the ranger, not to mention i dont think ive ever seen one on the roads around here.

Those are pretty common sight down here though it can be somewhat tricky finding parts. Some of the 'back woods' boys down here adapt their own parts from other Jeep designs.
They're pretty common around here. I got one for my stepson about 7 years ago. We rebuilt the 4.0 inline 6 engine and put a new clutch in it, he drove it for 2 years until somebody made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and he took that money and bought a Wrangler. He misses that truck every time he has to haul something, and has to rent a truck. It got 17 mpg on the road. The 4 cylinder Wrangler gets 14.
 
It got 17 mpg on the road. The 4 cylinder Wrangler gets 14.

I have a friend with a Wrangler that used to also get 14 m.p.g. Replaced the engine & transmission with one from a late 90's Chevy pickup, complete with wiring harnesses and ECM (computer). 305 with overdrive, stock throttle body injection, even the GM air filter and cat convertors. This thing looks like it was born this way! He even found a way to order the emission label from GM to replace the original Jeep label.
Oh, and the best part? It now gets a tire smokin 24 m.p.g. !!:D
Also it fools the guys at the state emission facilities every other year. Noone has ever doubted that it's not a legitimate factory built unit!
 
Tap, tap, tap...Hello, is this thing on?

Karl, way back in the mid 1970's, I had a Jeep CJ7 with a 304 V8 and automatic transmission from the factory. It was as big a dog as anything else from that time, and got a whopping 7 mpg--with a 16 gallon tank. I had a 100 mile cruising range on a good day, and many not so good days I was breaking out the gas can I had to carry with me. This in the days of gas shortages and long lines. I finally got rid of it, I couldn't afford to keep it in fuel, and I ran a gas station at the time.:eek:
 
Good morning folks

It was 76 F as I rolled out of the driveway this bright and hazy morning. Our high will be 90 F. we are under an Excessive Heat Warning and an Air Quality Alert. It looks like a good day to stay in air conditioning. We do have the possibility of thunderstorms later. My wife is doing an outreach below the C&D Canal this morning. Since it always rains when she is driving in southern Delaware the storms will most likely hit this afternoon.

Yesterday and last night were a recovery night. We did nothing but sit in the air conditioning and watch TV as a family. The only chore I had to tackle was cleaning the fish pond filter. Since that involved water it was not too bad in the heat.

Tonight my daughter has her flute lesson.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning folks

It was 76 F as I rolled out of the driveway this bright and hazy morning. Our high will be 90 F. we are under an Excessive Heat Warning and an Air Quality Alert. .

Ditto here Tom, cept they say 93. Thats the penalty I get for living a lil further south!:rolleyes: Less snow, more heat. It's ok in January, but it sucks now.:mad:
Hang in the AC if ya can, me, I'll be in the shop (under a tin roof) all day. :(
Catch y'all later after I get home and have had a shower!!!!:eek:
 
Good afternoon everyone.

It's 85 here with a dew point of 71 right now. It's just a little bit sticky!

My wife is gone for a few days so I am in model railroad mode. I boiled super trees earlier and am waiting patiently for them to dry. They're outside, so I think it may take awhile! I would have done all of them but I ran out of clothes pins. I also hand painted the widow sills on one of my kits that I'm redoing. It looks 100 times better this time around. I also added grout lines to another kit in the painting process. Boy, I can get a lot done when I actually take a day to do some modeling. While this stuff dries I have to go get a hair cut. Hopefully everything will be dry enough to keep moving forward. Dang it's nice to make some progress!:D

Boy, you can tell it's summer with the amount of traffic the coffee shop gets. Of course, most people are working right now. I love my Tuesdays off!

Have a great day everyone.
 
I try to get my outside work done in the morning just because it is summer. Any later and you can start melting rocks together. I made the mistake of working outdoors in the summer heat once. That resulted in near heat stroke and a monster of a sunburn.
 


Whew! Survived another day in Gawdawfulhot&muggysville!!!! The cool shower afterward felt great, I feel human again!:D

When I get rich & famous, I'm buying a summer home somewhere in the great white north, and spend winters in Antigua.:rolleyes::cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top