Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlefoot
One other thing to consider about the Porche.Insurance. I had a lowly 914 when I was 17 (Got 2 cheap, 1 wrecked with good engine, 1 good with bad engine) but after I got the good one fixed, the insurance quote was enough to make me sell it and finish up on my 69 Mustang restoration. The M-tang was cheaper to insure than the Porche!!
Also on trucks, given the choice between and s10 and a Ranger, pick the S10. More cab room by far! I only got my Ranger because it was free (hand me down from Dad) My old S10 had more cab room!
Ranger.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/1795886425.html

What do you guys think? Gonna take some work and my dad said no but his mind can be changed if i have some good reasons. Parts are available for it, about $200.
New fuel injectors for that car are about $200 each, and it has 4. If it sucked up garbage out of the fuel tank, it probably needs a fuel tank, and that's another $500, if you can find one that's not rotted out. And that's if that is the problem (somebody lying to sell a car?;)). And what'll go wrong with it next week? Those cars are toys, and a 20 year old toy is not a good choice as a primary driver for someone with a limited budget.
Go with the "good" cars for your first car, like a Toyota Corolla, Camry, Honda Civic, Accord. If you want something you can use year-round, try finding a Jeep Cherokee 4wd. You should fit in one with no problem, and they are cheap and plentiful, as are the parts for them. They are also reliable.
 
You guys have convinced me against it, it was more of an impulse thing.

Terry- small cars arent very practical up here in the winter. Theyre fun in the summer but we can get some bad storms here in the winter. Ive watched cars like the accord not be able to make it out of the driveway during some storms. The cherokee is a car ive looked at as well as the wranglers, but the wranglers get expensive. I like the cherokee, its be a nice car, cheap enough to leave some room for extras too. I havent checked anything like stats on it though.

Karl- what can i say, impulse buy and didnt think :o Insurance is going to be expensive for a younger person anyways, which is one of the reasons im going to take drivers ed.
 


You guys have convinced me against it, it was more of an impulse thing.
That's good. When it comes to rebuilding an old vehicle, no matter the type, you have to look at how much you're going to spend and the parts availability. I've rebuilt several over the years an dam in the process of rebuilding one now. I need only one more component to make it road worthy then comes the rebuilding of the interior. Seats, carpet, speakers, stereo, etc. Even with all that it's still far cheaper than rebuilding my Century. That would take a minimum of $3,000 just to get it running right.
 
Today I was checking the wiring in the van for short circuits. Only found one. The part of the headlight switch that handles the running lights is cross circuited so I disabled that and set the running lights up on a toggle switch and made sure it could handle the load without over heating. Only one of the 4 headlights works right now. Whether that's due to burned out bulbs or a bad switch I don't know yet. If it's just the bulbs that'll be easy to deal with. If not, if it's the switch then I may have to run them on a heavy duty center off toggle switch like we did with my grandfather's old pickup. There's more than enough space in the dash for switches with the blower control panel being gone. No reason I couldn't attach a lighting control panel right there. For the testing I was powering the circuits with just a battery charger. The amp draw on the starter motor is so low I actually started the engine with just the power from the charger. Turn signals, hazard lights, running lights all work. Don't know about the brake lights yet. Pretty difficult to check them when you're the only one around to step on the brake.
 
For the testing I was powering the circuits with just a battery charger. The amp draw on the starter motor is so low I actually started the engine with just the power from the charger.
Those old reduction-gear starters do have very low current draw, but are very noisy. Reminds me of the only Chrysler joke I can remember off-hand:

"Hey, I hear you got a new Chrysler!"

"Oh? How did you hear that?"

"You started it!"

Barump-bump, clang!
"Thanks, I'll be here all week!":D
 
LF, I had a 1967 VW, great gas mileage and a real fun car to drive. Really fast for a bug.

I went to get parts for a tune-up ,the old fashion kind, plugs, points, condenser, new distributor cap......the works. I get home tear the old parts out of the car and none of the new ones worked or even looked like the new ones. Story short, the VW was equipped with a Porsche Manx engine. I returned the parts I bought and spent nearly trice as much for the correct ones.

At the time I was in college and the difference in price cost me a couple of meals the following week, I didn't have enough left for a full week's groceries. But, I still like peanut butter, tomato soup, and Spam in spite of the incident.

If you save enough money, I'll sell you my Willys. lol That car will be the envy of all the guys and a real girl catcher....... You might want disconnect the blower drive though.

Bob
 
Those old reduction-gear starters do have very low current draw, but are very noisy. Reminds me of the only Chrysler joke I can remember off-hand:

"Hey, I hear you got a new Chrysler!"

"Oh? How did you hear that?"

"You started it!"

Barump-bump, clang!
"Thanks, I'll be here all week!":D
That's about right! It is loud when it's turning that big 318 over. I like the ignition system because the only thing that's electronic is the coil firing module. I could convert it over to breaker points in a matter of a couple of hours by simply changing the distributor.

After some testing with a multi-meter the headlight problem is definitely due to burned out bulbs. I got readings of 12 volts on all the headlight sockets. A funny thing happened earlier when I started the engine. There was a bag of 8 taillight bulbs and some backup light bulbs sitting up on top of the radiator. The fan sucked the whole bagful down in a split second. There was a lone survivor. One of the taillight bulbs came through unscathed. That'll teach me to look next time.
 
You know, i love summer. Ive got a feeling this ones going to be the best yet too.

I figured id share some of my plans for this summer with you guys. Besides my usual summer activities, ive got alot extra planned. I plan on doing alot of fishing and kayaking. Ill get to go on my 4th summer working with the Fire Dept at the fair, something i love doing. Id love to be a junior member there, ill only be 15, but maybe. Besides that ive got some sports programs im doing. I think ive got my parents convinced we need a permanent pool too. Weve had one of the cheaper "portable" pools for the last few years. With my dad topping the charts at 6'6'', it was a big tub for him :rolleyes: this year i think they think is the year. Oh yeah the new camp is coming along great, we redid alot of it and have already spent a few trips in it. I think the paneling is coming down and drywall going up in my room this summer too, last summer was my sisters turn. Im hoping to keep saving some money as well. Theres so much id like to purchase, but ive gotta keep it under control, i look at it like this. This is the perfect time to save, no bills or food to put on the table, i have all the oppurtunity in the world to put money aside now. Unfortunatley i buy on impulse alot so we'll see how well that goes over.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't some of the older Mopars positive ground? Seems to me we had a couple in the shop that we had to "fix" to a more conventional system. I always hated the high pitched nee-nee--nee sound those old Chrysler starters made. A buddy has an old 1970 "Hemi 'Cuda" in his garage with 17,000 actual miles. The thing is worth a mint now. Just like another friend that has a SuperBird. Both guys bought these cars new and went to the service shortly after. Came home, drove them for a bit and bought new cars and parked these. Some guys have all the luck.

Bob
 


Howdy, Y'all, from sunny Mexico.

Got to make it quick since our internet service looks like it's about to take a dive again. Just got it back after two days down. Went to more Myan sites and it was hotter than sh*t. Dianna just can't take the heat. I don't know how she could grow up in Alabama and not be used to heat. Went on a neat snorkeling trip today. I'll write more tomorrow if the internet is up.

Rex, got your PM and answered it. Looking forward to seeing you and Ken.
 
Weren't some of the older Mopars positive ground? Seems to me we had a couple in the shop that we had to "fix" to a more conventional system.
Those would be some really old ones. I had a 1941 Plymouth Hornet that was 6 volt positive ground. Finding parts for it was like hunting hens teeth. The fuel pump on it went out and there was no fixing it. We put a small electric pump and pressure regulator on it that was connected with a small step-up transformer (6v to 12v) and a converter so it could function on a positive ground system. That was interesting. The car was eventually sold and the guy who bought it switched it out to all 12v negative ground. I'm not sure how long it took but from the amount of cussing coming from his garage he was having a really great time.


Well I checked out the brake lights. The circuit is DOA. I suspect the problem is a bad brake light switch. There's a new one in the glove box so I'll try installing it and see what happens. It's gonna be a tight squeeze as there isn't much room under the dash and at 242 pounds I'm a pretty good sized guy.
 
Another scorcher yesterday, spent the morning in full fire kit cutting up several cars then spent the evening up our local hill putting out a moorland fire, 10 hours in full firekit in 86f is not much fun
 
Morning,

Another hot and humid day today with chance of afternoon thunderstorms for inland countys east of us41.

I have been very bizy here, My wife is back in the hospital AGAIN:rolleyes: Bad infection in her "intestine my guess." The Dr's haven't got a clue yet what is wrong with her:mad::rolleyes: And My Lawn Service is Hopping and Got work nearly everyday. I got a gutter cleaning job and back yard clean up job scheduled today to get done and hope to have it finished before the thunderstormes hit!

Ola Jim! Glad to here all is going well on your trip.

Matt, I'm really glad you changed your mind on the Push Car;) and your going to save up! Also sounds like your going to have a great summer line up! Have fun.

Steveo, Were the hell are ya Man? You've miss so much work over here;):D! The Mexican worker Jim sent me yesterday isn't working out!...............I don't speak "Mexican"! I don't speak english either but that's ok you more than likely don't either!:D;):) We should be OK!!!!!!!!!!?

Well got to go and Get on that Roof before the heat hits!
 
Morning,

Steveo, Were the hell are ya Man? You've miss so much work over here;):D! The Mexican worker Jim sent me yesterday isn't working out!...............I don't speak "Mexican"! I don't speak english either but that's ok you more than likely don't either!:D;):)

Hablo espanol, tu tiene que busco para un diccionario de espana a ingles ;)
 
Chrisque perezoso es aquel hombre, он настолько ленив, он работает назад трава зелена в Мексике
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Translation: I speak Spanish, you have to look for a dictionary to English espana

Close :)
I speak spanish, you have to look for a spanish to english dictionary :p

3 years of spanish was useful afterall, i can confuse people :D

Steve- I got the first part, i dont think chris is going to appreciate you calling him/his help lazy men :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top