Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim- Do you want me to set out a bucket on the driveway for you? It has been raining cats and dogs for the last half hour! That may be the only way you get some rain this week.

Matt- sounds like you had a good fruitful first day. Hard work can be fun and satisfying when you see the results are what you wanted to accomplish.

I finally got internet service at home after two weeks. Some of the internet service people are not as smart as they think they are. I finally got one this morning who got a qualified tech involved, they tweeked something from thier end and I was part of the cyber world again.

It sure is nice to go back and see what I missed around here.

Jim we be having low water tables here--even with all the dang rain--must be Toronto's fault---:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mikey Our ISP up here--Rogers--has a very well grounded bunch of IT ppl--we had only two times outages--and reason being construction destruction by some dweebie contractor who did not bother to check cable maps---both times we got our service back within a couple of hours of them tracking it down
 
Mikey, we finally got one little thunderstorem about 9:00 pm. It dumped a whopping .16 inches. At least it was enough to wash the dust off the lawn. :) The Bell South internet people are usually pretty good too, but there's not much they can do when the whole phone system is down.

Barry, as I'm sure you know, the amount of rain above ground and the height of the water table aren't always related. If the aquifer was drawn down, it takes a good bit of rain to recharge it. If it really is increased useage by that big city to the east, it will just continue to go down. At one time, Los Angeles was supplied completely from wells...until everyone moved there. I don't think there's a water table left now.

Terry and Jeffrey, since the voltage at the terminals seems to be within normal limits, I'm leaning towards the wire gauge issue. That's the only thing that would make a wiring harness melt but not blow the fuse. I tested it tonight with the headlights on for five minutes and the wires leading to the headlight were almost too hot to touch. Of course, most of the wiring is buried in looms, so I can't really trace it down. The wires I can see appear to be about 14 gauge, which seems way too small for 55 watt halogen bulbs. If it blows again, I'm going to ask for a factory rep to take a look at the issue.

I'm finally in the FCC database with a call sign of KJ4VMX. My next problem is switching over to the ITU phonetic alphabet after almost 30 years of the California public safety version. My call sign would be King John Four Victor Mike X-Ray in the California version. It's Kilo Juliet Four Victor Mike X-Ray in the "correct" ham version. Just different enough to be confusing to me. I was on the Skywarn net earlier when we had some severe thunderstorms that looked like they were headed our way and I couldn't hear anyone laughing in the background, so I guess I did OK. :D
 
Jim Talking new phonetic alphabets and stuff, our trusty fire service has decided the acronyms we use are going to change to new versions, lol i can see confusing times ahead.
For the first time in a long time it's CLOUDY and COOL, amazing.
 


chicken_lifestyle.jpg
 
Well, all, we went to the Humane Society function yestiddy. Our Boston's won best costume(s). Otie was "dressed" in his best Don Ho shirt, while the girls, Hannah, Baby, and Shylah, had on "tube" tops and grass skirts. They won unanimously. I walked the entire 5K walk and my stenosis is giving me fits. Back pain and leg pain in epic degree. Even my "bada**", Loratab and Vicodin, pain pills aren't helping much.

I was approached by the vice president of the group to be their spokesperson to local governments and prospective contributors. I hope not to be around here that long. I told them I'd think about it.

Heading north here in a couple of hours. A 5 1/2 hour drive. Angela is up getting breakfast ready for everyone. This is a match made in Heaven. She loves to cook and I love to eat. Looks and smells like pancakes, sausage, and scrambled eggs.

Jay brought along a couple of his friends as did Amaya. Looks like we'll have 6 kids up for a few weeks. Won't be so bad. Jays buddies are in his ROTC unit. Amaya's little friends will enjoy some of the stuff we have for them too. I laid down the law BEFORE we allowed them to go. They will have a few chores daily BEFORE any play time. And if they all pitch in together, the daily tasks should be done in about one hour.

Jay asked if he and his buddies could go out in the boat alone. We'll see about that one. I won't let them take the BIG boat out nor can they go on Lake Huron. I can track them on GPS to enforce that rule. They can cruise the river and go on Mullett and Burt Lakes. Not much trouble they can get into there as the waterway is "no wake" and they just want to check out the young ladies anyway. The 21-footer, a tad underpowered, will suit that expedition just fine. And the "water fights" along the river are epic. Great fun.

Well the dogs just woke up, time for a "nature call".

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Barry, as I'm sure you know, the amount of rain above ground and the height of the water table aren't always related. If the aquifer was drawn down, it takes a good bit of rain to recharge it. If it really is increased useage by that big city to the east, it will just continue to go down. At one time, Los Angeles was supplied completely from wells...until everyone moved there. I don't think there's a water table left now.

Our water Table is all messed up here too. Florida has gone through what Califorinia has, The Population has grown beyond the Natural reserves! All though florida's land is only 20% developed, the average rain fall is not enough to handle the population we got. The water restrictions were started way to late and I had a few irrigation calls and 99% of the problem's is dry well! The people try to argue that there's plenty of water under them, yet the pump is sucking rocks:rolleyes:! I warn people that tougher water restriction are on there way, so don't get cought watering!;) Another thing ground water levels are tidal too! during a high tide cycle the well will show more water than there is too!;)
 
cHris Overpoulation, introduce some nice big fat juicy Nile crocodiles in place of them little gators, it's soon bring the natural balance back into sync ;)
 
Got up this morning in a mood that matched the weather.
Foggy.
Currently it's 79 and cloudy.
Chance of rain: 30%
Chance that I'll get something done: 25%
Feels like: 85 °F
Barometer: 29.94 in and steady
Humidity: 94 % (In other words, step outside and you're soaked in your own sweat instantly).
Visibility: 2.5 mi
Dewpoint: 77 °F
Wind: SE 5 mph (not even a descent breeze).
Sunrise: 6:07 AM
Sunset: 8:13 PM
High: 93° Low: 73°
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Steve, I wish the whole English speaking world could agree on one thing. The US still won't go metric, which causes us nothing but grief for both imports and exports. It seems like ONE phonetic alphabet should do for all of us but we keep inventing different ones for different services. We had the ITU code for hams, another code for the military, and yet another code for most of the western US. The rest of the country uses a hodge-podge of different codes...and this is just for the alphabet. In theory, all the emergency services are supposed to use plain English and drop all the 10 codes, 11 codes, signal codes...it goes on and on. We even have different 10 codes from county to county, which makes it really interesting if you're called in for mutual aid. It hasn't changed for the better in most places yet and I don't expect it change in my lifetime. No wonder we can't get to things like world peace. :) Maybe life is just like your chicken.

Bob, did you get any pictures of the dogs? They sound hilarious. :D I kind of think a 5k walk with your stenosis probably wasn't the best idea, but at least you toughed it out and showed you could still do it, even if you're paying for it now. Sounds like you'll have a fun time on the water. Restricting the boys to a no wake area sounds like a good idea. Did you see the storms they had in northwest Ohio last night? Being out in the open lake waters can be a fatal mistake this time of year. BTW, our sheriff is still after me to sign up to be a reserve deputy. I told him to look up the word "retired" in the dictionary and get back to me. :D

Chris, Florida really has water problems. In addition to the continuing drought, the drawing down of the water table is allowing the intrusion of seawater up to 50 miles inland. California was able to steal water from all over and bring it to LA and SF, but we had lots of mountains and wet states to out north and east. Florida doesn't even have a real river. I suspect that desalinization is the only long term answer if the population keeps growing, and that's going to cost lots of money. Of course, Steve's suggestion about the really mean crocs might drive a few people out too. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey, it's 92 here with a dewpoint of 72. No need to pay for a sauna bath, just step outside. :eek: Looks like all the stroms are staying along the coast, so it will just be more heat for us until a not so hot front passes through later today. We may actually have highs only in the mid-80's tomorrow. After four years, I guess I should be used to this.

So far, so good, for our trip to Cancun. We fly out Wednesday and no swine flu, no tropical storms, and the ash from the volcano in Guatemala is blowing west. If everything stay this way, we should be OK. We'll be there for 12 days. Anyone want to take any bets that a tropical storm develops the day after we arrive? :confused:
 
Chris, Florida really has water problems. In addition to the continuing drought, the drawing down of the water table is allowing the intrusion of seawater up to 50 miles inland. California was able to steal water from all over and bring it to LA and SF, but we had lots of mountains and wet states to out north and east. Florida doesn't even have a real river. I suspect that desalinization is the only long term answer if the population keeps growing, and that's going to cost lots of money. Of course, Steve's suggestion about the really mean crocs might drive a few people out too. :rolleyes:

We do so have some real big rivers...:) and tons of littles ones too. Just most are spring fed and all that water ends up in the good old Gulf of mexico! Desaliinization is under heavy left wing fire though. I don't ever think it will come to be:confused:. I can't under stand why they can't catch some of that river water before it gets dumped into the gulf?

Most of our drinking water is waisted watering lawns, golf coarses and Parks/athletic fields. Those are right now in the cross hairs and it's not looking good for the green grass! Another leach in our water problems is the Bottle water plants all over the place! the local Zephyer Hill's bottling plant is one that sucks up Millions of gallons or more a shift, bottles it and ships it out state. Household/commercial use of the water is far less!:rolleyes: Seems to be an easy fix just no one cares to fix it?:rolleyes:
 


BTW: as for the Croc's! LOL's The African Pythons(Most agressive python Species there is) Would have those crocs for lunch! We got enough Dangerous non Native species of critters loose here, we don't need another! LOL's
 
you dont think of things like bottled water plants and the likes, but yes it must have an impact, it's like the UK extracting it's own natural gas from underground and selling it to Europe, and we have to suffer high costs as we buy it in from,,,Europe ;)
 
you dont think of things like bottled water plants and the likes, but yes it must have an impact, it's like the UK extracting it's own natural gas from underground and selling it to Europe, and we have to suffer high costs as we buy it in from,,,Europe ;)

Next time you buy bottled water read where it's from! 9 times out of ten it's not from your state unless you have tasty water and a bottler Co. in your state! Zephyerhills Bottler has been investigated on how much water they use up:eek:! and their one of many in this state! This past cold snap we went through the strawberry growers damn near drained all the water in polk county. Then ended up having to pay millions back because all the sink holes that opend up and damaged property! We have droughts every year and almost get the same rain fall year after year......The problem is that We have so much water waisting going on that it lookes the other way around!
 
Good morning folks

It was 59 F as I hit the bright and sunny highways this morning. Our high will be 77 F.

It was a pleasant weekend. Saturday we did some running around getting ready for my daughter’s trip to Williamsburg. On Sunday we dropped her off at school for her trip. Later in the day we took my son to Cabela’s in Hamburg, PA so he got get a outfitted for fishing.

No trains this weekend. I am still in recovery mode from the volleyball tournament last weekend. I also have been having an issue with my left knee. It has been stiff and painful since the middle of last week. I can’t say it has gotten any worse but it has not gotten better. If it doesn’t start getting better soon I will be off to see the doctor.

My son has Boy Scouts tonight and we have to pick up my daughter when she get back from hger trip.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning everyone.

I had a glorious day off yesterday. Quite a bit of train stuff was accomplished. I repainted some old woodland scenics retaining walls from my old layout to be reused in this layout. They had been a gray color but need to be Limestone instead. It's nice to use stuff that I thought maybe I had wasted money on.

I also decided to completely start over on one of my building kits. It was finished, but looked like hell. The color was all wrong. My attempt at weathering it looked even worse. In general it was a complete mess so I tore it apart. I started by repainting the walls a better color, then the windows and trim a different color. I will add the mortar to the brick before assembly this time, then weather the whole thing lightly after assembly. I'm sure happy I decided to start over. I really like the kit, and it's kind of expensive to just move to the back of the layout. I'm starting to wish I had done this to a few other kits. Hmmm, I still could I suppose!

I have a long day today at work. I have tomorrow off so I hope continue working on the layout. I may need to golf instead though. It depends on the weather.

Have a great day everyone!
 
Good morning. It's 79 and partly cloudy. I can see that the weather guesser lied last night as there's a 50% chance of rain later today.

Not much on the schedule for today. I have some new parts coming in this week for the van. Finding parts for a 30 year old vehicle isn't easy but if I turn over enough rocks I eventually find what I'm looking for. One of the parts is a new gas tank that's still in the box. Another part I'll have to hunt for is a windshield wiper motor. The old one works but has a habit of sometimes stopping on it's own. Eventually I'll put an electric fuel pump in close to the gas tank so I'll have it there in case the mechanical pump goes out. Not much to report on the layout front. The van is taking all my extra time, money and energy. I have lots of the first, not much of the second and not enough of the third.
 
Hi Gang...just a passing note to stay in touch. I've been busy with work on my steel mill setup and trying to complete honey-do's that are best done before the upper 90's become an everyday occurrence.

Finally have my new multi-focal eye contacts (Air-Optix) adjusted for near and far vision. It takes patience (something I'm not noted for), trial and error, and time. Many, make a judgment too soon instead of letting their eyes/brain get used to focusing a new way. i can now get them inserted in about 2-3 minutes total, but removing them is sometimes a problem. Unlike the old hard contacts, they just don't "pop" out.

Jim: when you get back from Cancun, let me know and we will definitely set a day.;)

Got some yard work to finish, so I'm out'a here!

CUL:)
 
So far, so good, for our trip to Cancun. We fly out Wednesday and no swine flu, no tropical storms, and the ash from the volcano in Guatemala is blowing west. If everything stay this way, we should be OK. We'll be there for 12 days. Anyone want to take any bets that a tropical storm develops the day after we arrive? :confused:

It's Kinda funny he's taking his vacation at the same time Key West is having it's Pride Fest!!LOL's


To Early for a TS!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top