Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had an interview for my first job, and what do you know, i got it!!

Be proud of me Chris, im following you into the landscape/outdoor maintance occupation working for my cousins restuarant.

Nothing serious mostly lawn work, outdoor cleaning, some taking care of gardens, just generally keeping things clean outside. Heres the best part, almost no schedule! For the first few weeks ill be very busy and have some nice pay checks, but after that all i have to do is make sure the lawn is mowed weekly before opening nights and another day just to keep things tidy. Im considering taking a second job because my this job has such a loose schedule.
 
Just had an interview for my first job, and what do you know, i got it!!

Be proud of me Chris, im following you into the landscape/outdoor maintance occupation working for my cousins restuarant.

Nothing serious mostly lawn work, outdoor cleaning, some taking care of gardens, just generally keeping things clean outside. Heres the best part, almost no schedule! For the first few weeks ill be very busy and have some nice pay checks, but after that all i have to do is make sure the lawn is mowed weekly before opening nights and another day just to keep things tidy. Im considering taking a second job because my this job has such a loose schedule.

No schedule?:confused: Oh God...LOL's;):D To properly maintain a landscape you'll need to have a maintance schedule for the property set so that you don't forget any details! you got a good foot in the door and I wouldn't worry about a second job just do a good job for the restuarant, if the surrounding business like what they see they may hire you too!;):D
 
No schedule?:confused: Oh God...LOL's;):D To properly maintain a landscape you'll need to have a maintance schedule for the property set so that you don't forget any details! you got a good foot in the door and I wouldn't worry about a second job just do a good job for the restuarant, if the surrounding business like what they see they may hire you too!;):D

Well when she contacted me, she said she was looking for someone to mow lawns and take care of the gardens and what not. The only schedule is to mow the lawn once a week before it opens on thursdays (its not open everyday and only serves dinner for now) and to take care of the other jobs while im there. I have a list of stuff to do so far, thats why my first few weeks will be hectic. Its not my own business, i was hired by the restuarant.
 


Jeffrey, I hate those little springs. I don't know why they just can't put them on a hinge so they swing out of the way instead of having them held down by a tiny screw, so it flies off into space as soon as you unlatch it. Grrrr.....

Matt, sounds like a pretty good job. I think Chris has some good points though. Make up a schedule of what days you'll do what and give it to the restaurant owner. It will help you plan your time and impress her. Dress as neat as you can for that kind of work and do a better job than the minimum. You might be surprised when other business owners see a young man who actually looks like he's worth a paycheck.

Another hot, humid day with no rain. Apparently Jeffrey is stealing it all. It's still 77 degrees now. Kind of hard to believe the temperature and humidity can be so high and the atmosphere remain so stable. Maybe we'll get some rain tomorrow. One can only hope. :)
 
Well when she contacted me, she said she was looking for someone to mow lawns and take care of the gardens and what not. The only schedule is to mow the lawn once a week before it opens on thursdays (its not open everyday and only serves dinner for now) and to take care of the other jobs while im there. I have a list of stuff to do so far, thats why my first few weeks will be hectic. Its not my own business, i was hired by the restuarant.

Yes, schedules are the way to go...And always treat it like it is your business! Hired help are crap workers they do just enough to keep from getting fired and never try to go that extra mile. A business owner will bend over backwards and go that extra mile to make a buck and to earn a customer.

Example,

Monday- Mow, Weedeat, edge, Blow, and debris pickup(that includes empty outside trash cans).

Tuesday- Weed flower beds (Round up patrol), and Debris Pickup.

Wednesday- Trim hedges, trees, and Debris pick up.

Thursday- Mow, Weedeat, edge, Blow, and Debris pickup.

Friday- Spot Weed flower beds, Liquid Fertilize plants with Miricle grow plant food, Debris pick up, and Spot hedge trimming tree trimming.

Sat/Sunday Leave open for Debris pickup and paycheck pick up!;)


Matt, I'm being easy on you with this schedule. Commercial Accounts are more demanding when it comes to the up keep. Not seeing the site, you should spend 2-3 hours a day to keep the place clean. Oh BTW Don't forget to Blow off the parking lot Everyday! Another tip Commercial jobs like yours should be done in the early morning hours of 3am-6am. Don't ever do your work when the customers are there, last thing a person wants to see while eating is a dirty sweaty person slaving away!;) Good Luck!:)
 
BTW Matt: On Jim's Uniform Idea.........I wear the same thing, Green Denum Dickies Pants, Forest green Tee with Tan lettering, Nice hat and Justin lace up work boots. . I found that If you work, your work should stand out and speak for you...........not you! Don't ever wear shorts, sleeveless shirts, Loud colored clothing and tennis shoes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning gang!
Well, after a week of ping=ponging back and forth, we finally (last night) came to an agreement on price for the new house. :D Now looking for a settlement day at the end of July. Officially our current house (Mom's) went on the market yesterday (overpriced!:eek:) so now the fun begins. Packing up our stuff while keeping the house in showroom condition until we move out. Oh joy oh bliss!:rolleyes: After we move, it's all my sister's deal. She gets to keep the house showable, and the yard maintained. I've already told her, once I leave, the tractors leave, and we ain't comin back!
Bitter? Me? Naaahh
Just still confused.
Mom's in assisted living with plenty of money, I'm was willing to stay, and pay all the house expenses (including taxes) and handle all the maintenance. Mom realisticly has another 5-10 years at least, and by then her house should be worth a lot more to sell than it is now. So why sell it??
Oh the hell with it, time to turn the page and keep reading!

Jim/Jeff Funny thing about auto lights. Sometimes they don't tell you there is an easy way. My Olds eats fog light bulbs. Rather than removing the lower inner fender and spoiler to replace the bulb (shop manual says to) I take out the composite headlamp. 2 clips and it pops out, less than 2 seconds! Then I can reach the fog light without laying on the driveway! Literally, I can change it in under a minute!!:D:D

And on the left loosey thingy,,,,,,,the mower blades on the Woods mower attached to the big Deere are backwards,,,,,but the other 2 mowers are normal.:confused: Keeps it interesting when sharpening blade time comes around!!
 
Thanks for the schedule chris, i might have to print that off :). Ill talk with her again and see just exactly what it is. The only problem with the early morning thing is i have parents that are my transportation, and the grass would be still wet from the dew. I was thinking workboots, a bare of good looking jeans and a white t-shirt, and also a good looking hoodie because theres a chance of t storms today.
 
BTW Matt: On Jim's Uniform Idea.........I wear the same thing, Green Denum Dickies Pants, Forest green Tee with Tan lettering, Nice hat and Justin lace up work boots. . I found that If you work, your work should stand out and speak for you...........not you! Don't ever wear shorts, sleeveless shirts, Loud colored clothing and tennis shoes.

Especially the tennis shoes-----get good work boots---you'll need those.

Good Morning ppls----

We are going to be sunny turning cloudy this afternoon with a rainy kind of evening and overnite period---getting about 1.5-2" of rain by tomorrow morning then 6-% chance of rain and those ol' t'underin'boomlets ag'in---Todays high will be 27C then tomorrows high will be 16C----

I'm going to do some runnin' 'roun' doing HD stuff then maybe if'n I get some time I'll be in my trainroom getting some weathering done on my grainmill for denfield---
 
Jeffrey, I hate those little springs. I don't know why they just can't put them on a hinge so they swing out of the way instead of having them held down by a tiny screw, so it flies off into space as soon as you unlatch it. Grrrr.....
It's all about $$. If they can save 50 cents by putting in a spring instead of a hinge, they will. Still, it's not as much fun as changing out the distributor on a 67 Dodge 100 pickup. For those who don't know, the Dodge 100 was/is a pickup with a flat front cab, like a van.
 


It's all about $$. If they can save 50 cents by putting in a spring instead of a hinge, they will. Still, it's not as much fun as changing out the distributor on a 67 Dodge 100 pickup. For those who don't know, the Dodge 100 was/is a pickup with a flat front cab, like a van.

Was that the one where you had to pull the entire engine out the front to get at the distributer? Even the starter was a b----------!!!!
 
Was that the one where you had to pull the entire engine out the front to get at the distributer? Even the starter was a b----------!!!!
You got it! The only thing that was easy to take off was the doghouse (engine cover). The air filter on mine was an oil vat type and could be an unholy mess!
 
matt- You can see what happens to sage advice- (righty-tighty) it is not 100% of the applications.
But the tips Chris and others have given you here are based on hard experience and acute observation. A neat and clean appearance to start a job impresses people who you do not notice observing you. Try to freshen your appearance at the end of your work, dust your self off, wash your hands and tuck in your shirt to restore your appearance. It impresses girls and their parents.
Do a complete job and think of safety and courtesy. Do not move the mower when someone is walking or driving past that could get hit with grass or debris. Same with a blower.
Many people are allergic to grass and pollen. Mowing and blowing clippings stirs up these allergy triggers. Try to keep away from the general public.
One other hint, keep a water jug with ice handy. Avoid sodas and energy drinks to keep from getting dehydrated.
Matt, I hope you find these guidelines worth trying. There are a lot of folks here that are interested in helping you.:)
 
Thanks for the schedule chris, i might have to print that off :). Ill talk with her again and see just exactly what it is. The only problem with the early morning thing is i have parents that are my transportation, and the grass would be still wet from the dew. I was thinking workboots, a bare of good looking jeans and a white t-shirt, and also a good looking hoodie because theres a chance of t storms today.

wet grass, there's ways to deal with wet grass...(insert evil smilie con here)! It's calld Pam no stick cooking spray!;) Good God no light colored tee's! The dirt and grime shows up like a sore thumb! Dark Green, Brown, Black, or Navy Blue.....No Whites, yellows, or any light, bright colors!;) The Justin Lace Up Roppers are my favorite Boot! They are light and look sharp! As for Jeans, Dickies brand(Found in Wal-Mart) Has a thick denum work jean made for tradesmen and they also hold up well and they come in many colors! Mikie has some great tips too! One last thing, "Have fun with your job and don't let it stress you!" lot of people let stress eat at them turning a small job in to more work than it is! Take care and God bless, and if you need any Land Maint. tip's don't hesitate to PM or email me, I'm here to help:)!
 
Well gang im back from my first day. You were right but to late about the white shirt chris, i think i just lost that one to the gym shirt pile... Anyways i actually had fun and she loves my work. Ill go back sometime early next week to finish this weeks list... god that thing is/was long. Good news is they open in about a week so things will slow down and ill get a better grip on that list. The weedwacker was fun to use too.

Lawn mowed, trees landscaped around the base, woods pushed back along back fence near parking lot, rotted woodpile disposed of, edges of sidewalk trimmed, branches trimmed to make sign visible, this list is coming along well :cool:
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Karl, congrats on getting the house! I went through that whole thing of trying to keep my house looking good while I was moving out in California and it wasn't fun. :( At least you don't have to wait until it's sold before you move. Having your own place and not being beholden to anyone is worth it though.

You ought to see how my fog lights are mounted. They are in a plastic air dam below the bumper and there is literally not enough space to get to the bulb until you jack up the front end of the car. :eek: I don't know what the problem is, but I continually blow headlight and fog light bulbs. I've measued the voltage at the terminals and they are all about 13.4 volts with the engine at 2000 rpm. This headlight socket was partially melted and the parts guy says he now keeps some in stock, because I'm the fourth guy in two weeks to have this same problem. One guy had the whole wiring harness burn up but it never blew the fuse. There's no recalls I can find but I sent an e-mail to Suzuki with a copy to the NTSB, since it seems like there's some design flaw in the wiring system that allows this to happen. All the other bulbs are fine, still the original equipment, it's just the headlight and fog light bulbs that keep blowing. It's gotten to the point I walk around the car every morning to make sure I haven't blown another bulb. :mad:

Matt, the guys have posted some good suggestions. I hope you don't think we are just hammering on you, but it's a lot easier to learn from us old coots than it is to repeat all the mistakes we made. I really second the idea of getting a good pair of boots. You're working with equipment that slice your foot up pretty good, and boots offer a lot more protection than a pair of sneakers. Sounds like you got a lot done in one day though and already learned a lesson about what color shirt not to wear. :D It's really good to see a young man like you, with his head screwed on straight and not afraid of some hard work.

Jeffrey, I remember those old Dodge 100 pickups. Wasn't that on a van chassis where they just sliced the rear end down to make a pickup? After having to work on my RV engine through the doghouse (which is all nicely carpeted, so any grease shows up good), the last thing I'd want is any vehicle with the cab over the engine again.

Barry, it looks like there are some pretty mean looking storm setting up in your neck of the woods. So far, all the severe weather is past you, down in eastern Ohio, but you've got another blob headed your way from Chicago.

Finally got phone service and DSL back about 11:00 pm last night. All Bell South could tell me is that it was due to "severe weather". The closest severe weather to us was in Memphis. I think they are fibbing. :rolleyes: It's like a sauna bath out there again today, after an overnight low of 75. Looks like Rex has some storms headed his way. As usual we are the hole in the doughnut, with everthing taking a left before it gets here. I'm still waiting for my call sign to show up in the FCC database. It's been a week and, supposedly, it should take five days. Of course, I don't know why I'd think a government agency would actually get something done when they say they will. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, I remember those old Dodge 100 pickups. Wasn't that on a van chassis where they just sliced the rear end down to make a pickup? After having to work on my RV engine through the doghouse (which is all nicely carpeted, so any grease shows up good), the last thing I'd want is any vehicle with the cab over the engine again.
That be the one! It was on an 'A' type truck frame with the engine between the driver and passenger. Mine had the 225 slant 6. There were also two models that had a V8, either a 273 or 318.
 
Jim, those lights are either drawing too much juice (probable) or there is a loose connection (maybe), or the wires are too small a gauge (more likely). They're trying to get smaller diameter wire to do the work of larger, because it's cheaper, and it just doesn't work. I worked for an import car manufacturer for quite a while, and we seemed to get those issues in spurts, whenever the bean counters got too involved with the design process.:rolleyes:
 
You ought to see how my fog lights are mounted. They are in a plastic air dam below the bumper and there is literally not enough space to get to the bulb until you jack up the front end of the car. :eek: I don't know what the problem is, but I continually blow headlight and fog light bulbs. I've measued the voltage at the terminals and they are all about 13.4 volts with the engine at 2000 rpm. This headlight socket was partially melted and the parts guy says he now keeps some in stock, because I'm the fourth guy in two weeks to have this same problem. One guy had the whole wiring harness burn up but it never blew the fuse. There's no recalls I can find but I sent an e-mail to Suzuki with a copy to the NTSB, since it seems like there's some design flaw in the wiring system that allows this to happen. All the other bulbs are fine, still the original equipment, it's just the headlight and fog light bulbs that keep blowing. It's gotten to the point I walk around the car every morning to make sure I haven't blown another bulb. :mad:
Terry is right. That's definitely a wiring issue. If it keeps on you'll eventually have a fire where your wires used to be. Hot wires work great in a toaster but not in a motor vehicle.
 


Jim- Do you want me to set out a bucket on the driveway for you? It has been raining cats and dogs for the last half hour! That may be the only way you get some rain this week.

Matt- sounds like you had a good fruitful first day. Hard work can be fun and satisfying when you see the results are what you wanted to accomplish.

I finally got internet service at home after two weeks. Some of the internet service people are not as smart as they think they are. I finally got one this morning who got a qualified tech involved, they tweeked something from thier end and I was part of the cyber world again.

It sure is nice to go back and see what I missed around here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top