Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim

Slovenia,,, and they all wear thongs,,, like some of the guys in Bama do

The building in question has been modified many times with numerous extensions added over the years. To make matters worse a lot of the newer parts had timber cladding and roofs which burned through really fast. The building was directly opposite a row of houses, less than 20ft away from the hottest parts of the fire, we could not get down the alley way due to the heat and falling debris. i took this yesterday from the opposite side
stumplnaefire31052010.jpg
 
2010 Hurrican Season has Started!

Yes, another HURRICAN season has started up. The TV news is full swing panic mode, and my wifes job has all State Workers slated for Shelter duty doing shelter training this weekend! The health department is really worried about this new H1N15 it's said it makes the H1N1 look like childs play:eek:! My wife training this weekend is dealing with this flu in a closed environment like a shelter and is getting fitted with special masks to deal with this new flu! The new flu hasn't hit our shores yet, but they are training for it regardless?:confused: My wife isn't allowed to go into great detail about this Flu, so what does the government know that they ain't telling us about it?.....Has any one heard of this H1N15?

Well I got to go mow some yards!:) C Ya!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is the same person high up in government who also has shares in the same company that made the vacines last time is getting short of money,,, so what better way to boost your income than cause mass panic about a possible outbreak of flu so vaccine sales go up, so filling his wallet with more worthless paper money :D How they can make a vaccine when they dont know what the mutation will be is beyond me, without this it's just more wasted billions of dollars
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Happy First Day of Hurricane Season!:D A friend of mine got a flu shot, and he still flu when the Hurricane hit him!:p
We've already had a storm, Agatha, that killed a bunch of folks from Guatemala. If that was a sign of the season to come, the people on the Gulf Oil Coast are going to be in trouble this year.
 
Good morning folks

It was 74 F and muggy as I headed out onto the roadways this morning. Our high today will be 86 F with heavy thunderstorms coming.

I am exhausted and sore from this weekend. We spent the last three days in State College, PA for the Happy Volley tournament for my daughter’s volleyball team. Being around hundreds of screaming teenage girls has left me half deaf. Sleeping on some lousy mattress for three nights and having to drive close to 400 miles has left me stiff and sore.

Our adventure started Friday night with the 4 hour trek to State College. Saturday afternoon at 2:30 PM we showed up at the un-air-conditioned IM Building for their games. Her team was scheduled to play at 3:30 PM but they were running an hour behind. In their first two matches they got crushed by two of the top ranked teams. One of those teams made it to the semi-finals of the tournament. Their third match was better but they did not win any games. Again poor coaching really hurt the girls. Since our team had to work the last match we did not get back to the hotel until 9 PM.

After a conference with several of the parents and the coach following Saturday’s dismal performance the coach made some changes on Sunday and the girls played much better They did not win any matches but they did win some games taking a couple of matches to three games. Unfortunately for us that meant that since we had to work the last match we did not leave the Bryce Jordon Center until 10 PM. We were the last group done.

Yesterday was better. The girls played the best they ever had. They crushed a team that has crushed them in several other tournaments and won their match. In the bracket final poor coaching decisions caused them the first game. However, in the second game they crushed their opponent. In the tiebreaker some questionable coaching almost cost them the game but the girls prevailed and came home with medals.

The ride home was an adventure. We were fine until we were on Route 283 near Elizabethtown. We stopped in Harrisburg and the temperature was 92 F. By the time we got on Route 283 the temperature had dropped to 70 F. Seeing a 22 degree drop we knew we were in for a storm. When we got near Elizabethtown it hit. We had spectacular lightning, driving rain, and strong winds. There were times I found it hard to steer the van with the winds and few times the rain was horizontal. At times we were driving at 30 MPH on a 65 MPH highway due to almost no visibility. We were in the storm until Lancaster. We stopped for dinner and to help our nerves to recover. We arrived home around 9 PM.

It was a long weekend but worth it. My daughter had a good time and learned an important lesson in endurance. She also learned how to step up and take a leadership role. She was determined to win a medal and did not allow her teammates to falter when things were going bad. She kept their spirits up and took over directing the team on the floor and lead by example. She won the first match on Monday with a kill. In the deciding medal game she took over the serve with her team down 13 to 12. Three aces later they were the medal winners.

Sorry for all the bragging but we were really proud of my daughter and her team.

Despite following tracks most of the way to and from State College we did not see a train the whole weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Jim

Slovenia,,, and they all wear thongs,,, like some of the guys in Bama do

The building in question has been modified many times with numerous extensions added over the years. To make matters worse a lot of the newer parts had timber cladding and roofs which burned through really fast. The building was directly opposite a row of houses, less than 20ft away from the hottest parts of the fire, we could not get down the alley way due to the heat and falling debris. i took this yesterday from the opposite side
stumplnaefire31052010.jpg

Wow Steve, great pic, and that sky,,,,eeeeerie!!!!:eek:
 
Good morning everyone.

It sounds like most of you had a nice weekend. I know I did. We spent the weekend at the lake on the boat. After using spf 30 on the first day without getting too much color, we decided to use spf 8 sunscreen the second day. Bad idea, I look a little bit like a lobster! It's not bad enough to hurt or peel, but it's damn close. I knew I should have stuck with the higher rated stuff. Three days of lake and family was enough though. It's good to be home.

I started spreading ground foam and such over my hills last night. It sure is nice to have a little more green stuff around the layout. If you drive around my actual home town area that this is based on, you'll see more green than any other color. I may try making a few trees later today.

I have to take my girl kitty to the vet to remove the stitches from her surgery two weeks ago. Just when she was starting to trust me again I haul her back in again.:( Oh well, it's for her own good.

Have a great day everyone. My weekend off continues until tomorrow.:D
 
Cheers Karl :D

Tom, you have every right to be so proud of your daughter, sje's done really well

HOORICANE,,, and all that slimey brown crud floating about on the sea, what a mess thats gonna cause
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Steve, that looks like it must have been one hell of a hot fire. Great picture with that menacing sky too. I forgot about the fat German guys in their Speedos. Man, even Rex would look good in one compared to most of them. :D

Chris, the H1N15 is the Avaian/Bird flu that has been around since the early 90's. With the exception of a few small outbreaks in Central America, which occur on a yearly basis, there is no evidence that it is about to become pandemic. This is pure panic. I own stock in Roche, Sanofi, and Glaxo, the three biggest makers of flu vaccines and drugs like Relenza and Tamiflu. I bought them last year to make money off the panic and I did. They are now way down and I'm looking to dump them on any upward move. If there was a real threat, these three companies would be performing much better.

Terry, Agatha was a good example of the type of tropical storm that blows up fast in the Pacific and drags lots of rain over Central America. It is not, however, a very good predictor for the Atlantic hurricane season. The forecasts that have been issued to date have a long term success rate that's about 5% above flipping a coin, so I place very little weight on the results. The oil spill will have no effect on hurricane formation or intensity. The area of the oil spill is about 60 square miles. An average hurricane covers about 5,000 square miles. Since a hurricane acts a giant blender, it would probably help to dilute and disperse the oil. It certainly isn't going to cause some giant sea surge of oil, as some of the pundits in the press seem to think.

Tom, sounds like a rough weekend but I'm glad to hear your daughter and the team hung in there. You deserve to be proud of her.

Corey, I think the idea with sunscreen is you're not supposed to get any browner. SPF 8 is sunburn in a bottle for most of us white folks. :) Start in on those trees. They really aren't that hard to make, and you'll be surprised how good they make the layout look. Too bad kitty has to go back to the vet again but at least they have short memories of you have some treats for them.

We've already had a couple of downpours today, which is really helping things turn green again. It's primary day so I dodged the showers and went out to vote. If they wre an incumbent, they were out for me. We are having a few a of our usual strange campaigns. If you haven't seen this guy's ad yet, check out Dale Peterson on YouTube. He's our own version of John Wayne. :D
 
Afternoon, everyone.


Chris, the H1N15 is the Avaian/Bird flu that has been around since the early 90's. With the exception of a few small outbreaks in Central America, which occur on a yearly basis, there is no evidence that it is about to become pandemic. This is pure panic. I own stock in Roche, Sanofi, and Glaxo, the three biggest makers of flu vaccines and drugs like Relenza and Tamiflu. I bought them last year to make money off the panic and I did. They are now way down and I'm looking to dump them on any upward move. If there was a real threat, these three companies would be performing much better.

From what my wife said, this strain is a hybred out of china. It's not to be taken litely, also the state/federal must think somethings comming down the pike they are spending tons of money preparing for it:confused::rolleyes: I hope your right and it's just a Med/government ploy to make some extra cash.





Well, I got done with my yards, and i will be rolling out tomarrow to do it all over again.:D:)
 


Hey Gang!

Group finger cross requested here! We're putting in an offer on a new house tomorrow. Hoping to get it for 20k under the asking price of $248k. :cool:Half an acre of level lot with mature trees, 3 br 2 bath & 2 car garage. Needs a little TLC BUT has a nice big basement!!!
2226009284.jpg


Wish us luck!!! (Hopefully we'll have an answer by the weekend!):rolleyes:
 
Hey, Karl, I hope you get that house. Better to get less than the asking price than have it go in foreclosue. As long as the basement is in good shape, it's a steal. :)

Chris, I don't know who is feeding the people in Florida this line but there is no hybrid H1N15 flu. This is one strain which hasn't even mutated since it first showed up. There's also very little evidence that being in close contact with other people helps spread any kind of flu. The main thing is to wash your hands every time you touch anything non-porous. That's the best flu preventer in the world.

I forget to add that I passed my ham radio test on Saturday. Got a 98% because I misread one stupid question. Now I just have to wait for my name to show up in the FCC database to know what my callsign is and make it legal for me to transmit.
 
lraK, do the people in the neighborhood know you're coming? Chris and the rest of us will help you move.....if we can have a neighborhood "monkey dung" fight afterward.

The house looks nice. The 1/4 million dollar price tag leaves a lump in my throat, a tear in my eye and glue on my billfold. We built a (6) bedroom/(3) full bath and (2) 3/4 bath, walk out finished basement, veranda, two story log home for less than that price. Must be the market out East. Glad I'm a Great Lakes kinda guy.

Jim, congrats on the FCC test. You new guys have it lucky. NO CODE WORK!!!! Have you decided what band you'll work? Radio? I use a Hallicrafters, a couple of Yaezus, a Collins, and a Heathkit I built for my merit badge in Boy Scouts. And I have a couple of Motorolas for EM uses. The radio shack looks like a porcupine den with all of the antenna. I also use an 85-foot tower. Couldn't go 100' because of our proximity to the municipal airport. I don't get on them much any more with the advent of the internet.

Tom, we ran all the way from north of Lansing, Michigan all the way to Marion in the same storm you were in. It was an evil one. Heavy rain and wind all the way. What is normally a 5 1/2-6 hour drive took almost 7 1/2. Of course we had to stop at every rest stop to let the dogs out, still........ Got more comin' our way in about 3-5 hours. Depends on how much activity the system can pull up ahead of it. It's still growing.

Sure was a full weekend here. I thought we could get back up North today, but we have a commitment Saturday with the local Humane Society The grandkids are out of school and we brought them back. Hopefully, we can leave around noon Saturday for the return trip. I have to attend USCG Power Squadron meetings and training next week. Should be fun. At least it won't be Lake Erie!!! That lake has a persona all its own. Flat one minute and 6-8 footers the next. Here, the Power Squadron works Superior, Michigan and Huron. Superior scares the crap out of me. Something mystical about that lake.

Jay is taking his car up north. He met some girls.............. Go figger. We're not pulling anything this trip, but, I think Angela is riding with him in case we get separated and he gets lost. His mom, my daughter, gave him a credit card for gas. She just may get the shock of her life!!!! His stepdad gave him the rule book before we left. Amaya, the 9-year old grandaughter looked at her brother and said, "Looks like you aren't going to have ANY fun!!" I died laughing.

Well, I need to check the windows on the vehicles, walk the house and make sure windows are closed BEFORE going to bed and the storm hitting.

'Nite all.

Bob
 
lraK, do the people in the neighborhood know you're coming? Chris and the rest of us will help you move.....if we can have a neighborhood "monkey dung" fight afterward.

Nooooo thanks. I'll carry the trains myself! :D

The house looks nice. The 1/4 million dollar price tag leaves a lump in my throat, a tear in my eye and glue on my billfold. We built a (6) bedroom/(3) full bath and (2) 3/4 bath, walk out finished basement, veranda, two story log home for less than that price. Must be the market out East. Glad I'm a Great Lakes kinda guy.

Your price stoy reminds me of when my sister got transferred from Bay City MI to Sparta NJ. She sold her house, and 3 rentals to buy a house in NJ.:( Then 5 years later got transferred to Wilmington NC. :D

I miss the summer vacations on Lake Huron! Even on the hot days, it wasn't as bad as a Maryland summer!!!:eek:
 
Hey, Karl, I hope you get that house. Better to get less than the asking price than have it go in foreclosue. As long as the basement is in good shape, it's a steal. :)

How does wide open and carpeted (Berber) grab ya? Wood stove at one end, bar at the other!:eek:

Congrats on the Hammie test. I can see your call letters now. Oicu812 ! :D:D
 
Can't believe it, some nutter just shot dead five people here in whitehaven in england but there has been 11 shot altogether, poor folks.
 
It seems he,s killed 12 people, all at random.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10214661.stm

Ron

A really tragic story this---

Jim Congratulations on getting through the fcc tests--let me know what your call will be--maybe we can chat sometime as I'm going to try to get one too---:D:D

Bob I still have my old heathkit SW receiver---d'uh I forgot which one lol! I built that when I was about 11 yr old----still works too--
 


Can't believe it, some nutter just shot dead five people here in whitehaven in england but there has been 11 shot altogether, poor folks.

What really sux is the @$$ O killed himself!:mad: I would love to see that guy get put to sleep!(Do they still have the death row where you live?) Shame that had to happen:(, Prayers go out to all affected!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top