Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.

Karl and Terry, I'll bypass any sheep comments. Besides, I think the main problem area with sheep is in Wyoming. :)

Barry, nothing worse than having your wife involved in trying to solve problems with her family. In my case, I have some siblings that I've basically cut adrift. They are big boys and girls and should be able to handle their own problems. Besides, theny never listen to my advice anyway. We started with one cat and now have four due to strays that seem to be able to smell out my house. Sounds like your new one will be nice. Simba, our big male Maine Coon cat, has acted as the mama for all three of the other kittens we've taken in. He loves to groom them and keep them in line with a swat every now and then. I think he's a transvestite. :eek:

Chris, 100 cats? Holy cow, that's way more work than I would want to take on, even if I could sell them for $300 each. Never having been to a nudist camp, I can't comment on the view, but I magine one or two must look good enough to keep all the dirty old men coming back. ;)

There are some thunderstorms starting to pop-up here and there's so hope springs eternal that we'll get some rain. Wait - we're going to the ball game tonight. That almost guarantees a rain out. :rolleyes:

I had this open for about three hours while I was wrestling with a headlight bulb so I missed a few replies. Jeffrey and Steve, training is whatg makes all the difference between and amateur and a professional. We have some volunteer departments here that couldn't put out a campfire but we have a few where the members train and study all the time. Guess where the lowest fire insurance rates are? As I used to say when I was a reserve deputy, there are paid and unpaid professionals. I have a lot of respect for both. That air bag thing always scared the crap out of me if I was the first responder on the scene. We had a deputy killed when one went off right into his face as he was trying to get a driver out of a burning car. I wish the government would mandate a kill switch located in the same place on all cars.

Matt, unless you need the money right away, hang on to the copper for a month or so. It looks like it's headed for at least a 25 cent move upward. Take the busser job. I've been a dishwasher and envied the busboys. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Matt I agree with Jim on the busboy bit. I have seen some of our better waitress' around here give the busboys a little of their tip money for getting their areas cleaned up fast so more customers can sit there.
 


Hey, all. I've got this sinus infection from Hell goin' on. Took a couple of ibuprofen, not much help. The dogs emptied out my supply of sinus medicine with Baby's sinus infection and Hannah's allergic reaction to bees, I'm out of Benedryl. Angela said she would go out and get some more. I just hope it's sooner than later. My sinuses and head are killing me.

I had a fella from another forum send me a "few" truck frames for my "truckless" cars. A few, in his eyes, were over 100 pairs!!! Should last me quite a while. Cost was $2.44 for shipping. He said he was cleaning out his drawer on his work bench. Most are P2K with a smattering of Atlas, all 50-, 70- and 100-ton trucks. I've got to sit down and sort them to "size". The Atlas came with wheelsets. There are probably 25 pairs of those. I may just convert a few of the unconverted cars while I'm at it.

A HOT 84 today. Seems hotter. I don't mind the heat, the humidity drives me inside to the A/C. Good day for painting the boat though. A couple of more coats on the old "knocker", my 1963 14-foot Lonestar, with a 1957 Evinrude 5.5 Fiosherman, and I'll be done with that project. If I could just get my "project" boat done, I'd be a happy camper.

Bob
 
Afternoon, everyone.


but I magine one or two must look good enough to keep all the dirty old men coming back. ;)

I don't think it would take much of a looker to keep the dirty old men comming back!!;)








And H-Rex thanks for reminding the knobby knees!:eek: Ewwwwwwww, yuck!
 
Jim- I filled out my application for a busboy, following yours and Larry's advice. I already made plans to sell the copper tommorow, im sure ill have enough to sell later in the summer as well.

Bob- Do you have anything in your collection that youd be willing to part with along the lines of post 80's CP rail or Delaware&Hudson? Im looking mostly for 6 axle diesels and figured if i can get one from a forum member itd be great.
 
Since I model pre-1964, no I don't have anything post '80's in your roads. The grandson has a few SD70/75's in NS, BNSF, and ConRail.

Guys, I feel like chit!! Hope Ange gets back soon with some Benedryl!!!

Bob
 
Since I model pre-1964, no I don't have anything post '80's in your roads. The grandson has a few SD70/75's in NS, BNSF, and ConRail.

Guys, I feel like chit!! Hope Ange gets back soon with some Benedryl!!!

Bob

Thanks anyways sir, i thought you collected everything, not a particular era.
Feel better!

Just won a model power denver rio grande crane on ebay, waiting another half hour or so to bid on a mow concor flat with crane as well.
 
Hey Gang
boB, Sorry to hear about the sinus issues. I'll send you one of my son's sneakers, that oughta clear your head!!:D
Littlefoot. Yes, be a bus boy. Who knows, you may just have to work with one of the "cuter" waitresses.;)
Chris What a nasty picture you paint! :p Must look like a bunch of raisins walking around with all them wrinkles!
Jim I know about those "confused" cats. My FIL has one. He purrs when my FIL or me pet him, in fact he seeks us out. He bites my MIL and the wife whenever he can! We just thought he was gay.:eek:
Jeffrey I was working for a Ford dealer when the Pinto fuel tank recall came out. I remember laughing when we were instructed to put the plastic sheild ahead of the gas tank, not behind it to protect it. Seems Ford thought it better to protect the occupant, and to hell with the poor slob that hit them, as the "recall" part directed any gushing fuel stright back behind the car!!!:eek::D
Well, gotta step out for a bit. My oldest has decided to move back with his Momma, so I'll drop him off and pick up my 14 year old for the weekend.
This oughta be as much fun as a North Korean prisoner exchange.:rolleyes:
 
If you don't win the crane tender, I think I have one that I can part with. Let me know and I'll check what I have here. I think it's a Mantua(part of a set, I think) undecorated. But, as usual, with my feeble mind, I could be wrong there.I have (3) 200T/250T cranes and (4) tenders. My math was bad that day, I guess. Actually the extra tender came in a box of stuff I bought years ago. It has talgo trucks and horn-hook couplers. An easy fix replacing the trucks and adding a coupler box(which I can include a Kadee pair of coupler boxes if you wish) Trucks and couplers are at a premium here presently, but I could throw in a set of McHenry plastic knuckle couples, I think. I'll check the "Stuff Box" for them also.

I have some GP30's, GP38's, GP35's, a GP40's but none that I could part with. None in your roads. I am in the process of upgrading my engines to Atlas, or better, from Athearn BB engines. I am keeping a few of the old BB engines for display and some will man the yards or become yard queens. As I do model 1940's to 1962/4, the transition period, I also am able to convert my layout to about any period post 1910 to present by changing out a few modules and changing the vehicles, cars and trucks.

I'll check again for what I have and let you know if there might be something for you. It may need repainting to fit into your scheme, but, again, an easy fix. But, I think the pickins will be slim as I just donated a bunch of engines to a couple of layouts we built and sold some on eBay just last month.

Bob
 


I don't think it would take much of a looker to keep the dirty old men comming back!!;)








And H-Rex thanks for reminding the knobby knees!:eek: Ewwwwwwww, yuck!

EEEWWWWW!!! H-Rexdid you have to bring that into the mix? I had a whale of a time trying to expunge the bad images chris had from my mind--and then this? EEEEWWWWWWW!!!!
 
Thanks bob, im actually considering halting the layout thing though. I won the first crane, but lost the second.

I had an idea earlier to make a static display in my room. I have a 4x2ft space or maybe even a 4x3ft space. Anyways what im thinking i want to do with it is model a lumder mill. The rolling stock would be centerbeam flats, woodchip gons and pulp wood flats. I would most likely freelance it, so i would probably just use the CP GP38-2 for the "main line" and the RSC-2 as a switcher. I could probably make it a working layout somehow, but itd be hard.

I really want to incorporate some of the following:
Dirt road, a segment of a creek, small pond, dirt parking lot, logging equipment, a storage track, water tower/diesel refuel tank, truss bridges.

Heres a really rough track plan, the smaller images are the places i really want to use, the purple area on the top are modifications id like to consider.
 
Thanks bob, im actually considering halting the layout thing though. I won the first crane, but lost the second.

I had an idea earlier to make a static display in my room. I have a 4x2ft space or maybe even a 4x3ft space. Anyways what im thinking i want to do with it is model a lumder mill. The rolling stock would be centerbeam flats, woodchip gons and pulp wood flats. I would most likely freelance it, so i would probably just use the CP GP38-2 for the "main line" and the RSC-2 as a switcher. I could probably make it a working layout somehow, but itd be hard.

I really want to incorporate some of the following:
Dirt road, a segment of a creek, small pond, dirt parking lot, logging equipment, a storage track, water tower/diesel refuel tank, truss bridges.

Heres a really rough track plan, the smaller images are the places i really want to use, the purple area on the top are modifications id like to consider.

Are you modeling in N scale or HO? If you are doing N, there are many things you can do in 2x4. If you are in HO, you would be severely limited by the space, and it would be either a diorama or very small switching layout.
Here's one of Mike's 2x4 N scale layouts:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Terry- All my stuff so far is HO, however ive considered making a change for awhile now. If i did anything it would be a diarama after rethinking about it. Im fine with that, dummy locos are cheap :D
 
Good morning folks.

It's suppose to be sunny and highs in the upper eighties today. That's great news because we are heading to my Mother's lake home. I have to go to work this morning for three hours then I am off work until Wednesday!:D The three hours at work thing is a waste of time, but I don't mind. We have all weekend to cruise around in the boat.

Have a great weekend everyone!
 
Are you modeling in N scale or HO? If you are doing N, there are many things you can do in 2x4. If you are in HO, you would be severely limited by the space, and it would be either a diorama or very small switching layout.
Here's one of Mike's 2x4 N scale layouts:

I have to agree with terry on this one! A small N-scale layout would not cost you to much and would keep you intrested when you got some idle time!;) Check out my layout it 3 mini scenes in one and has some operational fun to it too! I haven't had time to work on my layout but I still do some switching in the cardboard city from time to time!:D
 
lraK, I don't need your son's sneakers. I have four of the fartenest Boston Terriers you've ever had the chance to meet. I never knew such a stench could come from such a small dog!!!

LF, my layout started out as a 2x4 diorama twelve years ago. Most of the modules are either 2x4 or 2x6. Much easier to handle, and model for that matter. Currently, I've got a bunch of lauan doors that I am turning into 24"/30"x72" static dioramas just for fun. I've gotten as far as cutting them down and sketching the track configuration and basic layout. Kinda burned out on doing layouts as I just finished a some for the local historical societies here. We constructed two layouts since February, but I had some really good help. In any case, that is getting the job done in a hurry by anyone's standards.

Chris, I cannot imagine any old person going to nudist camps. Showing off your sagging baggage or your shriveled up package just doesn't seem like a normal thing to do. Wrinkles intentionally omitted.

All, currently sitting somewhere in the middle of Lake Huron. Sinuses are still giving me fits but the sun feels good. The grandkids came up with us. We picked them up from school yesterday and headed north. Oddly, traffic was pretty light considering this is a holiday weekend. Once we passed Lansing, there wasn't much at all on the road.

Jay, 16, is driving the boat. He and I went though a boater's safety course in January. He received his certificate, now has his driver's license, so he's all legal now. Amaya, 8, is up on the flying bridge with him, surely giving him her $.02.

It was neat coming down the river to the lake this morning. Sun was just coming up and a mist was rising from the water. Angela is fixing lunch as I type, looks like brats, fried 'taters, corn on the cob, and salad. Had a bit of trouble lining up the satellite. Finally got it dialed in and the tracking locked in. I think we'll head up to Sault St. Marie after lunch. Gas prices aren't too bad yet this year, $2.62 at the marina. Cheaper than in town by $.05/gal. All we had to do was top of the tanks, so it wasn't too bad. I'd hate to have to fill 275g. We plan to overnite at Mackinac. We'll have to refuel there tomorrow. We'll see if gas prices are as cheap there, which I doubt.

There is a hobby shop in Sault St. Marie. Jay and I plan a visit there while the girls 'thrift' shop. There is a lumber mill and yard on the Canadian side that we always visit. Neat deal. And not far from a nice little marina. We ride bicycles in town there. Cheap transportation and good for you too.

Well, the lunch bell is a-ringin'........

Bob
 
Well, the lunch bell is a-ringin' I just fired up the grill for chicken breast and whatever is left over in the fridge. I did hear Glendia say smashed taters, corn and rice are available.
 
Well, the lunch bell is a-ringin' I just fired up the grill for chicken breast and whatever is left over in the fridge. I did hear Glendia say smashed taters, corn and rice are available.

Shoot Larry, make me up a plate of food, put the keys in your Kubota.....I'm on my way with my truck and trailer!:)
 


Chris, I cannot imagine any old person going to nudist camps. Showing off your sagging baggage or your shriveled up package just doesn't seem like a normal thing to do. Wrinkles intentionally omitted.

Bob

We it's a harsh reallity down here! If you vacation down here and pass one of those nudist parks.......Keep on going nothing to see there, except your undigested lunch!:eek: Like I said every county down here has at least one park......Mine has two, and pasco county has 5 or 6!:eek::eek::eek:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top