Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank is loose inside of the "containment boxes"? Jeffrey, there has to be a better way. If it's strapped down, it won't get jostled any more than it would with your design. All I see is more shrapnel should all hell decide to break lose.

I'm with Chris, Homeland Security would be all over that van if parked near any public building, in any airport parking lot, or near any place of public gathering place. You would have much 'splainin' to do. And then, you still may lose the van as being unsafe. There is a reason that gas tanks were move from behind the seats of old pickups, ya know.....

Bob

Bob, I can just see jeff getting pull over by the local PD!:eek: That tank in back will rise some hair's I bet!

My FIL when he was shrimper he had to haul diesel in a tank in the back of his van for his boats! He had to have a Special Hazmat licence and a very special tank to haul fuel in the manor that your doing!

Jeff, you won't ever be able to haul fertilizer with that tank set up!LOL's
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The tank is loose inside of the "containment boxes"? Jeffrey, there has to be a better way. If it's strapped down, it won't get jostled any more than it would with your design. All I see is more shrapnel should all hell decide to break lose.
No, it will not be loose inside the containment boxes. The tank is from an Isuzu diesel truck and is designed to be bolted down, not strapped, and it will be bolted down to a support frame that will hold it in place while at the same time keeping an air space between the tank and the drip pan in the containment box. The support frame is part of the overall construction of the boxes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea! The whole gang is back!

Rex...Glad the storms were not too terrible. And you're right, the Riverwalk HAS changed! It was clean...and lovely.

Jim...I hope your sister is doing alright. I am ever thankful for men like your b-i-l; one of the good guys. RIP.

I have been working 64 hour weeks lately and I am pooped! Hopefully things will slow down soon and get back to somewhat normal.

Hope everyone is doing okay!!

Goodnight!

Sandy

My brother built his deck and fireplace...thought he did a great job!
 


No, it will not be loose inside the containment boxes. The tank is from an Isuzu diesel truck and is designed to be bolted down, not strapped, and it will be bolted down to a support frame that will hold it in place while at the same time keeping an air space between the tank and the drip pan in the containment box. The support frame is part of the overall construction of the boxes.
Jeff, if you think it might be an issue, build a platform enclosure, and put a mattress on it, and call it a bed. Out of sight, out of mind...
His field repair is much better than some of the stuff I see running up and down the roads every day around here, and that's with having a state inspection program.
 
Good morning folks

It was 61 F this gray morning. Our high will be 82 F.

It has been a crazy few days. Friday night my son’s Boy Scout troop had their Court of Honor. My son received three merit badges American Heritage, Law, and Citizenship in the Nation. He is still owed three; Swimming, Mammal Study, and Reptile and Amphibian Study. He also received three rank badges; Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class.

On Saturday his troop went canoeing on the Wading River in South Jersey. It was not the Wading River it was more like the Strong Current with a lot Debris in the Water River. Canoes were tipping everywhere. I think every canoe in our group tipped at least once. Several people got knocked out of their canoes by fallen trees. The canoe I was in got swamped three times. The kids had fun but it will be a long time before I go canoeing again. When we got back to the van I found a screw in one of the rear tires. We were able to inflate the tire and I was able to drive home. Sunday morning the tire was flat.

On Sunday after re-inflating the tire I ran some errands. About an hour after I got home my father-in-law had another low blood sugar incident. This one required the paramedics. Once he came around he was fine and did not have to go to the hospital. We are pretty sure one of his medications is causing the problem and after consulting with the doctor he is no longer taking it. Later I went and got a new tire for the van.

Yesterday was a proud moment for us. Our daughter received her medal for making the Challengers at her school. The Challengers are the top 10% of the eighth grade class. After the award ceremony we took her to lunch. The day ended with her flute lesson and my son’s Boy Scout troop meeting.

Tonight we have my daughter’s last volleyball practice of the season.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
I am a SURVIVOR!
Yes, I made it through another SER Convention hosted by the local Steel city division. I helped out at the Country store where members brought in priced items for sale and the SER gets a % if it sells. Over Friday evening and Saturday, I got to see and talk to a lot of people I hadn't seen for awhile.
(Rex, we will have to get you a visit to the Wrecking Crew layout,SOON.)

We made a little money for the SER and got to see people buy some strange items. Getting the unsold items back to the owners was pure chaos.

Sunday was spent at the indoor 12' x 14' G scale layout of F. Smith, based on an old logging railroad converted to tourist and recreational use. There are a couple of highly detailed nudist camps, and the rail runs through the edge of an active community. The local park has a operating garden (N scale) railroad.
The tour stop was described as Adult themed and one lady said, "It is the most unique layout I have ever seen!"

It is good to be back on the forum and see that things have not changed too drastically this past week.
 
Mikey,

You could post pictures of Frank's layout, but we would both probably be banned from the forum for the XXX rated material! LOL

Rex, The SER train show wasn't that great for HO stuff, but the N scale selection was the best I have seen at a train show in years! You really missed out on some great clinics by Paul Scoles (Scenery) and Tony Koster (Mulit Deck layouts, TT& TO Operation). Sorry I missed you at the show! At least you showed up. CJ didn't even show is face!

Glenn
 
Howdy Jeff, Tom, Glenn and Sandy

Terry I'v not had time to fish for brownies yet, been really busy at work

ARG'ers very old, older, old and young included, sounds like ya'll had a great time at the convention.

All i can say the last 3 days have been hell, we have had a whole pile of grass and brush fires fueled by really hot weather and strong winds,,, i am looking at the cloudy sky and praying for rain, not seen any wet stuff for months now.

chris You krept up on me you little rascal
 
Glenn- I took about 100 pictures of Frank's layout.
l took about 60% without flash trying to keep the scenes from washing out.
About half were worth viewing , but I could post some to show the level of detail on the layout. I can use some of the half-naked people instead of the fully nude people in the scenes.
I'll see what I can do for you.
How is your layout restoration progressing?
You are right! The N scales layouts and supplies were well represented.

I must start slowing down to go home. (If I get any slower, I'll be backing up!)
 


Evening, everyone.

Made it down to Louisville by about 5:00 pm so it wasn't a bad drive. It will be a little longer drive tomorrow but I gain an hour going back to Central Time so I should be home by 6:00 pm. I have to pick up Dianna about 9:00 pm and I'll be ready for bed by then. We have a really nice matress at home. Staying in motels has made my back realize why it was worth the money. :)

Mikey, I sure wish I could have made the SER show, dang it. Sounds like Frank has a really interesting layout. There's probably some kind of law in Alabama against nudist colonies, even if they are G scale nudist. I wonder if the greater availability of N scale products is a herald of things to come in model railroading?

Steve, it seems hard to believe you can be getting brush fires in England but I guess enough drought and hot air will cause problems anywhere.

Glenn, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you up there. Dounds like the layout tour alone was worth it. :D

Tom, I'm glad to hear your dad was OK after the blood sugar scare. Does he normally have these wild fluctuations? Congratulations to your daughter as well. It sounds like she's a really hard worker - must get it from dad. :p

Thank you, Sandy. Cute dogs, and your brother did a very impressive job on the patio. I think that's the biggest Grinch I've ever seen. It looks like it must be almost as big as your brother. 64 hours a week will kill you if you keep it up. None of us are getting any younger, ya know. :cool:

Terry, building a bed over the fuel tank isn't a bad idea. My brother's 40 foot American Coach has the bedroom located almost directly over the fuel tanks. It sounds to me like Jeffrey has the tank pretty well secured. Certainly has to be better than the tank on my Trek, which is built on an Isuzu frame. There are only three straps hold a 60 gallon tank to the frame. :eek:

Rex, I'm ready for a rest and looking forward to seeing your work. I'm sorry to hear your wife has now become a Type 1 diabetic. :( The worst patients are medical people. We got a lousy .30 inches of rain from that storm and my grass is turning a nice shade of ballast brown.:rolleyes: Dianna tried the multifocal contacts and she had to quit using them because of constant headaches. I'm lucky I still only need reading glasses.

I went out with my sister yesterday to visit some of our childhood homes and to see what happened to St. Alexis. The hospital is completely leveled. Nothing but a weed-grown lot. I would never have found it if I didn't remember the cross street that intersected Broadway. It was torn down in 2005 after Cleveland Clinics bought it. There were some local protests about losing the only hospital in the area but Cleveland Clinics said they had big plans to build something there. Apparently the plans fell through. The sad thing is that there wasn't even a small sign or plaque telling people that a hospital that served this mostly poor section of Cleveland since 1884 used to stand on the site. I'm glad Jean died before this happened. It would have broken her heart to see her old nursing school and hospital converted to a vacant lot. :mad:
 
Mikey,

The layout has been back up and operating since last Sept. I have even gotten the track on the area I had start building when I got laid off in '07. I have also added a town on the east end of the railroad between Griffithville and East Staging. The next major project is to move the peninsula over 16" to widen the aisle between the branch line and Perryville. when I can get enough help to move it.

I guess I need to get on Rex to have an ARG meeting at my house.

Glenn
 
Glenn- It sounds as if you have made major progress on the layout.
Widening the aisle would allow someone else to get past me during operations.
Of course, if I took off about a 100 pounds, people would be able to easily by get by me.

Having an ARG meeting to visit your layout sounds great to me. Let us talk to some others about that, too.
 
Good morning everyone.

I had the day off yesterday so I decided to continue work on my scenery. All of the hills have been painted a flat tan color and will soon be washed with diluted acrylic paint. I've decided to wash the whole area so the areas that show through the ground foam look natural. Once I cover it with ground foam I may actually start building my super trees. I've been dragging my feet on that one! Not that it's that hard to do, but I wanted to get all of the areas to be covered with trees ready. Now that I'm two years into building this thing, it might finally start to look like something!:)

I better get to work or there will be no funding for this great hobby!:D

Have a great day everyone.
 
Hi Y'all!!!!

Welcome to my sweatshop!!!
Bout 90 outside, humid,,yech!!!!!!!!!

Hiding in the basement is the best defense! Chis, wanna cut my grass??? LOL!!:):):)
 
Hi Y'all!!!!

Welcome to my sweatshop!!!
Bout 90 outside, humid,,yech!!!!!!!!!

Hiding in the basement is the best defense! Chis, wanna cut my grass??? LOL!!:):):)

Oh Boo Who!!!!! Oh Waaaaaaaaaaa!:rolleyes: 90* and your already crying?:confused::confused: Geee after a long hard winter you would think you would love a little warmth?:confused::confused: Get out of the basement you mole and cut that damn grass!(Damn, that sound's like your wife huh!) ROFLMAO!:D Really seriously, go mow the lawn the fresh air and a good rolling sweat will do ya some good!;)
 
Oh Boo Who!!!!! Oh Waaaaaaaaaaa!:rolleyes: 90* and your already crying?:confused::confused: Geee after a long hard winter you would think you would love a little warmth?:confused::confused: Get out of the basement you mole and cut that damn grass!(Damn, that sound's like your wife huh!) ROFLMAO!:D Really seriously, go mow the lawn the fresh air and a good rolling sweat will do ya some good!;)

PthbbbbbbbbbbbbbB!!!!!!!!:p:p:p;)
 
Mikey,

...Sorry I missed you at the show! At least you showed up. CJ didn't even show is face!

Glenn

Sorry Glenn, but it wasn't by choice! My immuno-deficiency has gotten to the point that when I get toward the end of the treatment period, my MD has forbidden me to get in groups larger than 25 people. He doesn't want me to catch something nasty, since there would be no way to fight it off! He already has said that an infection would probably kill me before anything else would.

However I did have a "convention" of my own here at home. Paul Scoles and I hung here and at a few other layouts until an hour before his clinic started. IOW, I picked him up from the hotel Friday morning and dropped him off there around 2:30pm. I have admired Paul's modeling since his first article in MR back in 1976, putting micro motors with enclosed gearheads into brass shays. Brought their top speed down to about 10smph. He currently has a series of articles in RMC that has proven very popular with everyone except the scenery supply manufacturers.

Paul spent over 2.5 hrs here discussing my trackplan, (he likes the fact it was designed with ops in mind from the start), and what has been accomplished on it. In fact, just this week we're laying the track into Selma, and even have completed the "Crescent holding track" so I actually can run all the way around on the main. So for completed track, that gives me my two staging yards, the junction of the mains and branchline in Burnsville, with all of Burnsville's track. The main, sidings and spurs all the way to the start of the yard in Selma. The branch is almost to Jones on the third level. I'm hopeful that abbreviated op sessions will be starting as soon as the yard is just a little more complete. I also got the TT and RH tracks installed and wired as well. I also got to order some more code 70 rail. I've gone thru 4 bundles of code 83, and have started on my fifth code 70 bundle, I'm running out of rail very quickly.

Rex;

Too bad about your impression on the train show/convention, but the train show was only a small part of the convention. Considering that Paul Scoles, Tony Koester, Harold Garner, Cliff Powers, and several others were here, clinicians who you normally see at the national convention. There were also almost 100 models in the contest/display room. Talk about a great place for inspiration!
My deepest regret was that I could not attend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glendia is celebrating her 38th wedding anniversary today. I did get her a card and if I get my paycheck I MIGHT pick er up some poseys. Don't know what kind but she likes em all so that will not matter much. Don't want to overdo it cause her birthday is coming up the 13th of June.
 


Good morning folks

It was a muggy 76 F when I left this morning. Our high will be 87 F with thunderstorms later today.

Yesterday was another of those days. We were getting ready to take my father-in-law to the VA and the VA called to reschedule the appointment. His doctor called out sick. We are supposed to go this afternoon. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

We had Cub Scouts last night. It was the last den meeting of the year. Next week is the last pack meeting until September. We will get together once a month over the summer.

Tonight is a running around night. We have to do grocery shopping. We also have to get ready to head up to State College for my daughter’s volleyball tournament over the weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top