Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

track season is officially over for me. didnt make it to sectionals, but for my first season of outdoor track, im happy with my performances.

Took the travel trailer camping for the first time this season. We bought it last year, this was our 5th trip. It was a repeat campground but still alot of fun. We traveled with some family friends and even brought a dog. Kayaking, fishing, swimming, biking, the list goes on and on. School is over is about 2 weeks, summer is almost here.

High of 79 today, with temps soaring to 90 by tuesday!


Chris- If i remember right, schools in the south get out around May, so your son would be on summer vacation right?

Jim- Good to hear things went smoothly during the service.
 
Jim, I don't know who fed your sister the BS line on taking so much time to open a grave site at Arlington but they fed her a line. I've been there four times in the past year or so to attend services for friends(one wounded in Afghanistan and died of those wounds stateside, the other a highly decorated Viet Nam veteran) and the sons of two buddies KIA in Iraq and Afghanistan. There is no waiting list. Since she didn't press the matter, wanting to be close to her husband, I understand. But, had she wanted him to be interred there, she could have made it happen in short order. The man was a veteran, a decorated hero, that's the bottom line. Many thanks to him for keeping his duty above personal safety. Heroism is best described as a victory over fear. One doesn't ignore fear, it's still there, but does whatever action in spite of being scared sh*tless. And that's a fact, been there.

And hearing you report what she was told, really p*ssed me off!!!

Done venting.

I hope your return trip home is less eventful. The more they "improve" technology, the more they screw it up it seems. Better than horseback, I guess.

Jeffrey, there's a reason that gas tanks aren't where they used to be, son. I drove race cars for years, including alcohol funny cars and sprint cars. Nothing worse than being upside down in a sprint car and fuel running into your helmet. Been there and didn't like it at all. And I've been a "ball of fire" after puking an engine at 230mph in the funny car. Cool for pics since it happened at night(pretty blue flames) but not so cool from my perspective in the driver's seat. Damned hard to see, pull the 'chutes, steer the car, pull the hand brake, and unbuckle your harness all at the same time when all you can see is flames. Thank goodness for Nomex and Bill Simpson fire suits.

Bob
 


Evening,everyone.

Bob, I had a feeling she was being fed a line, but she didn't really want him in Virginia, so I didn't press it with her. I don't know why the Arlington bunch were so uncooperative with her, but the people at Western Reserve were great. They went back over his records and discovered the Oak Leaf Clusters. We didn't know until the Major in charge presented it to her, along with the flag. He was in the Mekong Delta in 1966. Some VC sappers tried to overrun his fire base. He took over an M2 position after the gunner was killed a kept firing intil the barrel overheated. He then used a bloop gun to fire about 15 grenades to break up the rest of the attack. He was shot in the shoulder but said he didn't even realize it until about a half hour after the perimeter was secured. I guess adrenaline is a good pain killer. They counted 46 bodies when daylight came and he got most of them. He was being evacuated by chopper the next morning when the helicopter came under sniper fire. He was a sniper himself, so he grabbed his Savage 10FP and picked off the guy from about 400 yards away with a clean head shot. He did this left handed, since his right shoulder was wounded! :eek: That's why he got the Oak Leaf Clusters. He got out in 1970 and I don't think he ever picked up a gun again. He wasn't a macho kind of guy but, as you say, he rose to the occasion when he could have stayed in his hootch and hoped for the best. Never having been in the military, I can only relate to my few times in law enforcement when I was in a combat situation. I was always scared sh*tless, every time. Anyway, he was a good guy and now in a much better place.

Matt, sorry you didn't make it into the sectionals but there's always next year. Sounds like you had a nice camping trip. Minnesota and most of the East is getting cranked up for the first heat wave of the year. I talked to my daughter today and she said the high was 95, so it's already summer for us.

Corey, at least in normal times, I get more work done on the layout in the summer than winter. It gets so danged hot that there's not much you do outside, so the cool basement feels good. In most winters, it's mild enough to do yard work and get things cleaned up before the heat sets in again.

Steve, sounds like global warming has moved to the UK. Do you guys start having problems with woods fires when it gets that dry? We get them when we have long periods of drought and hot weather.

Chris, you are such a slave driver. :) Of course, the paddle hanging on the wall probably help. I hope your boy does better in the common sense department than Amanda. She's 20 years old and running out of excuses for being a ditz. :rolleyes:

Terry, I've had some of those brown trout problems with my holding tank when I cut corners and don't give it a good spray out after emptying the black tank. It's one of the really disgusting parts of owning an RV. ;)

Jeffrey, I know nothing about gas tanks so I''ll assume your judgement about how to handle the replacement is good. If not, your department might have an extra run this year. :D Sounds like it will be a good MOW van for your railroad. You going to do an HO version too?

Connie, her son Michael, and her grandaughter Ariel went downtown t see the William G Mather and the Science Museum. Ariel is just 16 but already took fourth place in the NCAA women's wrestling competition in Florida two weeks ago. She has high hopes of making the Olympics in two years. She looks more like a model than a wrestler but I guess she must be pretty good at it. The Mather is a sistership to the one I spent a summer on in 1964. Most of the ship has been restored to the way I remember the Franz was when I was on board her. I didn't realize until I was reading the ship's log that one passenger we transported to Detroit was the William J Mather, the owner of the Cleveland Cliffs lines and one of the richest men in America at the time. We lowly deckhands were never told much about any passsengers except they were VIP's and stay away from them. I was polishing some brightwork early one morning when our distinguished looking passenger came out on deck to smoke his pipe. He asked me how I liked my work and how well was I being treated. Luckily, I had nothing bad to say, especially for an 18 year old kid who was getting a nice paycheck for the summer. We had a nice talk about the ship, the company, and the future he saw for steel companies on the Great Lakes. He was not optimistic about the US steel industy. He went back to his cabin after about a half-hour and I never saw him again. It was only today that I realized I had been talking to company president and one of the most powerful men in America. :eek:

You know, things change as you get older, but you never think they will change all that much. I found out that St. Alexis Hospital, where I trained as a respiratory therapist and my late wife went to nursing school, was shut down in 2004 and the remaining buildings are now a homeless shelter. The hospital started in 1884. It was where Jean and I met and fell in love. Now Jean, the hospital, and the nursing school are all gone. This has been profoundly disturbing. :( I guess it's the realization that everything I knew is gone and I won't be far behind. Weird.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chris- Lucky him, my last full day is the 11th, then regents and finals week :rolleyes:. My cousin lives in NC and i thought she got out in May and went back in August. Isnt there a spring football thing in the south too?

Jim- Im not really bothered by not making it to sectionals, i wasnt even going to do track this year but im glad i did. I continued to set personal records throughout the season and wound up on varsity. I went to invitationals during indoor track, but outdoor is alot different. Amongst 80 kids, the majority are upperclassmen, with a few state ranked athletes. Two of the coaches are really trying to get me to run cross-country, which im sort of honored by, but i love football season. You couldnt be more right about things changing over time. Youve seen much more than i have, but even in just my first year of high school lifes starting to really change. Im sorry to hear about the hospital,

School tommorow, have a good one people
 
Jim, the realization that I'm getting old has struck me many times. Realizing that the horizon, once so far away, is closer than I care to have it. This gettin' old sh*t ain't what it's cracked up to be either. Golden Years, my ass!!!!!! No one tells you about all of the RUST!!!!!

To your BIL, God's Speed, Hero.

Littlefoot, I ran sectionals all 4 years of high school. Never got to run my best event the 220yd dash until my senior year. I was stuck running the 440yd dash. That race is a long one at a flat out sprint. The year I ran the 220, I got 2nd. Never finished higher than 4th in the quarter. And when you get to go, you'll appreciate it. To me, it was just another track meet.

Bob
 
Chris- Lucky him, my last full day is the 11th, then regents and finals week :rolleyes:. My cousin lives in NC and i thought she got out in May and went back in August. Isnt there a spring football thing in the south too?

My sons school had football sign up two weeks ago and have started practice before summer break! He decided to skip football again and sign up for Tennis. He won't admit it, but he's only doing it because almost all the girls on the team have a crush on him and love him to death.:rolleyes:
 
Happy Monday Morning Everyone!

Well summer has hit florida, we only got a couple of rains from March thru to May. We are a couple of weeks away from another hurry-can season, and as soon as the rain start falling again the grass should start growing! I have been getting a few new account's here and there. I'm 1/2 way point...... Next month I could see it get a bit bussyer!

Speaking of RV's....The supprising thing is I have been running across more and more snow birds still here:confused:? Normally this time of the year the roads clear out after April.......Not this year.

Well got to go, another work day got a coulpe of things to get done!:D
 
Chris, do you remember this?

I was going through my files, and found this handy problem-solving flowchart. I do have a G rated version, but it's not as functional:
 
Good morning folks.

Terry, that flow chart should help me in the future!

Jim, I think you need to take a vacation.

I had a glorious day off yesterday. I finished the plaster spreading on my layout so it's ready for paint and ground cover on Tuesday. The sections I'm working on are the end parts that transition from the city section and the rural section with the trestle. Until now, there was just blue prairie between the sections.

I also managed to hit a few golf balls yesterday at the driving range. Since I don't have a yard to work in anymore, I have to find excuses to be outside. Not that a person should need an excuse, but it's better than just sitting there.

I have a long day at work today and then tomorrow off again. My wife will be out of town until Friday, so I get the house to my self all week! I may even get to paint some of my track sections since I don't have to worry about her complaining about the fumes.

Have a great day everyone!
 


tankdes1.jpg


As some seem to have a problem with the idea of an internally mounted fuel tank I've put together this crude rendering (top view) to give you an idea of the design. The tank is contained withing two boxes that are both filled expanding foam and both boxes are sealed with the exception of a spill-off pipe. The tank itself is anchored to a metal framework secured by bolts that are anchored to anchoring points beneath the floor. The boxes surround the tank top, bottom, front, back and sides. A spill-off going through the bottom of the containment structure to a hole in the floor channels any spill-off to the outside of the vehicle. The tank is not exposed to the air in the vehicle (unlike my car where the tank is under the back seat and makes up part of the floor and also unlike my parent's car where the tank is behind the back seat with nothing between it and the back seat) but is instead sealed inside of a box filled with expanding foam which is sealed inside a second box also filled with expanding foam.
 
tankdes1.jpg


As some seem to have a problem with the idea of an internally mounted fuel tank I've put together this crude rendering (top view) to give you an idea of the design. The tank is contained withing two boxes that are both filled expanding foam and both boxes are sealed with the exception of a spill-off pipe. The tank itself is anchored to a metal framework secured by bolts that are anchored to anchoring points beneath the floor. The boxes surround the tank top, bottom, front, back and sides. A spill-off going through the bottom of the containment structure to a hole in the floor channels any spill-off to the outside of the vehicle. The tank is not exposed to the air in the vehicle (unlike my car where the tank is under the back seat and makes up part of the floor and also unlike my parent's car where the tank is behind the back seat with nothing between it and the back seat) but is instead sealed inside of a box filled with expanding foam which is sealed inside a second box also filled with expanding foam.
That's a better design than many pickup trucks I've owned over the years. If you get hit hard enough for the tank to rupture, chances are very good you won't be in a position to care anyway.
 
That's a better design than many pickup trucks I've owned over the years. If you get hit hard enough for the tank to rupture, chances are very good you won't be in a position to care anyway.
Exactly! And since it'll be over the rear axle it would take a VERY hard hit to even jar it. The anchor points for the framing is the framing for the rear seat mountings. When you consider the kind of punch those were made to take, well I don't think it will break loose anytime soon.
 
I was going through my files, and found this handy problem-solving flowchart. I do have a G rated version, but it's not as functional:

I have that same flow chart hanging in my garage next to the headache releaver for over 4 years now!;)
 
Gas and expanding foam do not mix well. In fact the foam dissolves on contact with gas. This here is the voice of experience on that one.
 
Hi everyone! Sorry to be gone so long, but I have had a long list to work on this past week. One thing for sure: I'll never go this long without at least reading the Coffee Shop posts. Took me an hour:eek: to catch-up.

I did make it to the Southeastern Regional Convention Saturday. I ran across Grandeman and lil'Grande (who is now taller than Dad, L&NCastle (William), Mikey, a few more from the Wrecking Crew club, and six others from our Alabama Rail Gang bunch. I'm glad that I didn't pay the $50 convention member fee and only the $6 public fee. Other than a lot of Mom&Pop vendors, there wasn't much going on and only had a few layouts on display. I did find and buy the 12 set of Walthers ore cars for $119 and also a like-new Bachmann 44 tonner for $25 that I will put a decoder in.

The wife screwed around with her diet long enough (pies, cakes, cookies, etc.) that she now has to take insulin shots instead of the pills. Why are medical people so danged stubborn when it comes to taking care of themselves.

I'm still trying to adjust to the multi-focal contact lenses. The one thing the advertisements do not say: there is a trade-off from perfect near to not so perfect distance vision or visa-versa. They still are pretty good, but my brain and eye haven't quite got together yet. You see, there are three areas of vision built-in; the eye and brain have to decide where the pupil focuses on the lens, with part of one area still being seen. Weird and sometimes frustrating, but I need to give it a few more weeks to see how it goes.

Sandy: I saw the Alamo when I was in boot camp (1963) at Lackland AFB. Yes, I was very disappointed thinking it was going to be big and out of town. Humph...center of SA on a city block. Also, when I was there, most of the riverwalk was off limits after 9PM to GI's because of all the killings that went on down there. Ahh, how times change. BTW: the storm you mentioned was mostly rain...I do mean a LOT of rain...frogs were drowning in the yard and ducks were knocked out of the sky.:D.

Jim: Glad things are finally calming down a bit for you. Time to rest, fellow. Almost have the steel mill track ready for operation, so get ready for a trip up here after you have found yourself...where ever you may be ;)

CU Later:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gas and expanding foam do not mix well. In fact the foam dissolves on contact with gas. This here is the voice of experience on that one.
It's called napalm, if you mix it right. I'd still rather take a chance on that than put the tank back about an inch and a half from the back bumper like original.
 
Gas and expanding foam do not mix well. In fact the foam dissolves on contact with gas. This here is the voice of experience on that one.
I don't see that being a problem unless the fill line breaks. The foam is just to help keep the tank from being jostled around and to serve as a cushion.
 


The tank is loose inside of the "containment boxes"? Jeffrey, there has to be a better way. If it's strapped down, it won't get jostled any more than it would with your design. All I see is more shrapnel should all hell decide to break lose.

I'm with Chris, Homeland Security would be all over that van if parked near any public building, in any airport parking lot, or near any place of public gathering place. You would have much 'splainin' to do. And then, you still may lose the van as being unsafe. There is a reason that gas tanks were move from behind the seats of old pickups, ya know.....

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top