Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
it really throws you when you go down town for the Alamo. not remote and as big as the John Wayne move. Then cross the street and down the steps to the river walk. Did you walk west to the street markets?
Much of what was the Alamo is gone, bulldozed away many years ago. What's left is the main section of the old mission itself.
 
This is the Mighty Oak which keeps Ryan following the right path! We (Him and I) made it in 07 and I only had to use it 3 times:rolleyes: Live and learn:rolleyes:

Never needed a paddle for my 3 boys (remember, a paddle is evidence!) however, all 3 still hold to the same belief that Daddy is crazy, and will do anything he says he will do. Also known as house rule #1! :cool:My oldest is an inch taller than me and almost 350 lbs with amazing strength, and he will admit, I am the only person in the world he is scared of! :eek:
Yeah, he could take me out, but he also knows he would have to kill me, cuz I would just keep coming back!:D
House rule #2. Daddy will teach you everything you need to know, but he will not teach you everything HE knows. That keeps em wondering!!!;)
House rule #3. Do not disrespect your elders, especially stepmom. IF you do, better remember rule #1.
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had to warm someones fanny over a misdeed. They only need to get "the look" for the most part. :eek:
 
I really don't warn.....give a look. I lay out the law and punishment one time. He breaks the law, I hand out the punishment! I don't have many Law, just a few pet peve's that grate my nerves that must not happen on my watch! My son know's first hand I'm crazy and seen me use crazy..........He doesn't want it!
 


Good morning folks

It was 59 F this morning as I headed out. High will be 86 F.

Last night we found out that my daughter has one more volleyball practice. Then she has the Happy Volley Tournament in State College, PA over the Memorial Day weekend. My son called a Merit Badge Counselor last night and is starting to work on his Personal Fitness and Family Life Merit Badges for the summer. He also wants to do the Fishing Merit Badge.

Tonight is my son’s Boy Scout Court of Honor. He should receive three ranks (Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class) and 6 Merit Badges (American Heritage, Law, Citizenship in the Nation, Mammal Study, Reptile and Amphibian Study, and Swimming) provided none of the paperwork got lost and the local Scout Store has the items in stock.

Tomorrow my daughter has a Car Wash Fundraiser for her school Williamsburg trip. I will be canoeing with my son and his Boy Scout Troop somewhere in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Sunday I have no idea what we are doing.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning folks

It was 59 F this morning as I headed out. High will be 86 F.

Last night we found out that my daughter has one more volleyball practice. Then she has the Happy Volley Tournament in State College, PA over the Memorial Day weekend. My son called a Merit Badge Counselor last night and is starting to work on his Personal Fitness and Family Life Merit Badges for the summer. He also wants to do the Fishing Merit Badge.

Tonight is my son’s Boy Scout Court of Honor. He should receive three ranks (Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class) and 6 Merit Badges (American Heritage, Law, Citizenship in the Nation, Mammal Study, Reptile and Amphibian Study, and Swimming) provided none of the paperwork got lost and the local Scout Store has the items in stock.

Tomorrow my daughter has a Car Wash Fundraiser for her school Williamsburg trip. I will be canoeing with my son and his Boy Scout Troop somewhere in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. Sunday I have no idea what we are doing.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Tom
What about the Railroading merit badge??? (It was one of the 1st ones I got!) That is surely one that Dad can help him with! (Mine did!)
 
Been busy today. Went to town this morning with the parents to get a few errands taken care of then came back and worked on the gas tank a bit. I cleaned it out as best I could. Hardly any diesel crud in it now. I installed a ten inch long piece of rubber fuel hose inside to serve as the suction line and clamped it in place. That was a lot harder than it sounds. Tomorrow I may get the chance to close up the hole in the top where the fuel pump was. I figure a metal jar lid buried under a bunch of marine epoxy should do the trick. I also cut what was left of the old filler hose off the tank. The next project will be to build a support cradle that will be bolted to the floor. Once the tank is set into it a couple of braces running across the top should keep it from going anywhere. The filler nozzle on the van will have to be moved a bit higher to put it above the top of the tank and I'll have to see what path the filler hose will take. I should be able to fashion one from a truck radiator hose, some connectors and clamps. That should prove to be an interesting project. After that will come the job of constructing an enclosure around the whole thing to keep the fumes out. It will be of course be vented to the outside to avoid a buildup.
 
Tom
What about the Railroading merit badge??? (It was one of the 1st ones I got!) That is surely one that Dad can help him with! (Mine did!)

I am a Merit Badge Counselor for Railroad. He has yet to sit down and go over what he has done. He should be able to fulfill the requirements very quickly.
 
Been busy today. Went to town this morning with the parents to get a few errands taken care of then came back and worked on the gas tank a bit. I cleaned it out as best I could. Hardly any diesel crud in it now. I installed a ten inch long piece of rubber fuel hose inside to serve as the suction line and clamped it in place. That was a lot harder than it sounds. Tomorrow I may get the chance to close up the hole in the top where the fuel pump was. I figure a metal jar lid buried under a bunch of marine epoxy should do the trick. I also cut what was left of the old filler hose off the tank. The next project will be to build a support cradle that will be bolted to the floor. Once the tank is set into it a couple of braces running across the top should keep it from going anywhere. The filler nozzle on the van will have to be moved a bit higher to put it above the top of the tank and I'll have to see what path the filler hose will take. I should be able to fashion one from a truck radiator hose, some connectors and clamps. That should prove to be an interesting project. After that will come the job of constructing an enclosure around the whole thing to keep the fumes out. It will be of course be vented to the outside to avoid a buildup.
Just a suggestion, based on a couple of problems I've had in the past... Clamp something heavy to the bottom end of the rubber hose so it tends to stay on the bottom of the tank. There's nothing more frustrating than having almost a half tank of fuel, and you can't use it because the fuel has softened the hose, which is then trying to float on the fuel.
 
Just a suggestion, based on a couple of problems I've had in the past... Clamp something heavy to the bottom end of the rubber hose so it tends to stay on the bottom of the tank. There's nothing more frustrating than having almost a half tank of fuel, and you can't use it because the fuel has softened the hose, which is then trying to float on the fuel.
Good point, I'll tend to that.
 
I put a steel cap over the hole in the top of the gas tank this morning, using lots of JB Weld. It was a perfect fit. It should be well set by tomorrow morning. I'll cover it with plenty of epoxy to close up any cracks that may remain.
 


Had to endure glorious sunshine today to see 6233 come though anain for the second time this month, i have to wait another 2 weeks for it's next trip :(

this morning
6233royalscot220510.jpg


same spot but a class 92 electric loco, these are 6760 HP CO-CO designs and really can pull for england
92019220510.jpg


And tonights return trip, what you cant see is a drunken punch up to the left of the camera, a group of about 15 men and women had been on the beer all day, arseholes.
coppull6233.jpg
 
I'd been working outside earlier trying to determine where I'll have to reinforce the floor in the rear of the van for the tie-downs. That requires getting underneath the beast. No mean feat that since it sits quite a bit higher than a car does. No, the problem is getting up again. That's a lot of work for me and I do believe I overdid it, again. I've been resting for the last 30 minutes and wondered why I felt so tired so I checked my blood sugar level and sure enough it was low. Down to 52 on the first check, 60 on the second. So I have a batch of buttered rice cooking. That'll give me a good shot of starch and protein. That'll get my level back up and out of the danger range but I'm finished today as far as work goes. It'll have to wait until tomorrow. If I try to get any more work like that done today I run the risk of doing some real harm. Next big job will be to drill the holes for the tie-downs and I also have to drill tyhe matching holes in the reinforcing plates that will be tack welded in place below the floor pan. That's gonna be fun! NOT!!
 
Evening, everyone.

I finally have time to sit down and write something. Drove up to Louisville Thursday through enough rain that it was getting sucked into the air cleaner and making the computer go all wonky. It stopped raining overnight and the computer seemed happy again, so the rest of the trip to Cleveland was uneventful.

Bill's military burial went very well. The Army does a good job when they bury one of their own. It was cloudy and threating but the rain held off until after the ceremony. The honor guard had a bagpiper that played Amazing Grace. It's a beautiful song but I've heard it so many times at police and firefighter funerals that I've really grown to hate it. :( My sister, Connie, held up pretty well considering. We had a wake at her niece's house afterwards and I had a chance to vist with some of my cousins, most of which I haven't seen for about 20 years. Holy cow, have we ever gotten old! :eek: It just seems really weird to see guys you played with as a kid now bald, fat, and using canes. I'm the oldest in the family and feel really blessed to still have my health and be in pretty good shape.

Bob, Connie was told Bill was eligible for burial at Arlington, but it would have been at least two years before they had a grave site. Connie really wanted his grave closer to her, and the Western Reserve cemetery is fairly new and had sites available. It turns out he also has the Silver Star with Oak Leaf Clusters but he was never awarded the additional medal. They had a new one made and presented to Connie as part of the ceremony. Like I said, the Army does a nice job honoring their vets.

Haven't had a chance to read much else but I should have a little time now before I get back on the road Tuesday. Jeffrey, it seems like you should have a jelly donut before you work on that van again. :)

Steve, you mean a bunch of drunks were having a fight while the steam engine went by? I would have stopped fighting long enough to at least look at the train. Nice pictures though. That sure was a blue sky for gloomy old England.

My boys were holy terrors when they were teenagers. I think me beng a cop made it worse, since they tended to get off easy when they got arrested. Once I finally got my head screwed on straight, I told everyone to treat them just like anyone else and let them spend a few nights in jail. They straightened up pretty fast when they realized they were going to have to dance with the guy with most cigarettes. :D

Dianna is out in Colorado visiting wth her best friend. I swear, every time she goes on a trip, something happens at home. I got a phone call from my alarm company that they dispatched the police because they had a break-in alarm and a person in the house that didn't know the password. Turns out it was Amanda. She forgot she set the alarm when she left and then set it off when she came back. It has a really loud siren as well as notifying the central monitoring station. She panicked and forgot the code to turn off the alarm and forgot the password when the alarm company called. It's really hard to remember - her mother's middle name. :rolleyes: The cops were getting ready to haul her off when the alarm company got me on the cell phone and I verified her identity. She's a straight 4.0 in college but sometimes has the common sense of a hamster.

I hope everyone else is doing as well as can be expected. I'm hoping that life will be a little more placid when I get back...assuming the termites haven't eaten more of the house.
 
Evening, everyone.

She's a straight 4.0 in college but sometimes has the common sense of a hamster.

I don't care who you are....That's funny!:D

my 13 year old is the same way... smart as hell but, not a lick of common sence! which scares me:rolleyes:
 
Jeffrey, it seems like you should have a jelly donut before you work on that van again. :)
Tell me about it! I had a bowl of buttered rice followed by a couple of hamburgers and a soda. I felt much better. Good enough in fact to go back and do some painting on the front doors. Soon I'll get to work on the MGRy stencils for the front doors.
 
Morning all
It's a glorious day here again, i dont think it's rained proper now for at least 3 months !!! We went for a walk in the woods and a stream thats normally still full by late august is already almost dried up, one poor brown trout was swimming around in a pool about 6ft sqr by a foot deep, he kept going under the bank so we could not catch him.

Jim sounds like Bill had a colourful time in the military, glad the funeral went well.

It's 11am and 78f in the shade with not a cloud in sight
 
, one poor brown trout was swimming around in a pool about 6ft sqr by a foot deep, he kept going under the bank so we could not catch him.
Hmmm.... When you do what I do for a living, you really don't want to catch a brown trout.:eek: I repair RV's, and when people don't dump the holding tanks when they bring them in for repair, we call it "fishing for brown trout". I'll let y'all connect the dots...:rolleyes:
 
Hmmm.... When you do what I do for a living, you really don't want to catch a brown trout.:eek: I repair RV's, and when people don't dump the holding tanks when they bring them in for repair, we call it "fishing for brown trout". I'll let y'all connect the dots...:rolleyes:

EEEWWWWWW!!!!! now I have to burn that subject outa my mind! YUCK!!!:eek::eek::eek:

As my sister would say----kaka poooie!!
 
Good morning everyone.

Jim, glad you could stop in. Hopefully you can get out of crisis mode soon!

Jeffrey, I wish you had lived closer to me, I would have just given you our old minivan. What you're doing with the gas tank sounds sketchy. Good luck and stay safe.


I've had a busy enough two weeks so I'm taking a day to myself. My wife is in bed sick, so I'll go about my business the way I want. Other than feeling guilty for not going to church, I love the thought of doing whatever the heck I want!

I started spreading sculptamold on the hills last night. I didn't blend them into the base because I forgot to glue them down first! Today I'll glue them down, then add a little more sculptamold to blend it all together. I have to go to Lowes to get more generic tan paint to use as a base coat. Before you know it, I'll be spreading ground foam, how exciting!

I've noticed that I get more modeling done in the summer. I must be the opposite from my other northern brothers. How about you guys?

I hope you all have a great day.
 


Jeffrey, I wish you had lived closer to me, I would have just given you our old minivan. What you're doing with the gas tank sounds sketchy. Good luck and stay safe.
I've never been a fan of minivans. The way the tank will be mounted it'll be anchored down and sealed in in a padded compartment. It's not too unlike what used to be done with pickup trucks, except those tanks had no padding around them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top