Ye OLE Coffee SHOPEE XXVI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Say Corey
It seems like your having a lot more trouble gluing your ballast down than you should?

If I remember you should be using a mixture of 1/3 white clue to 2/3's parts of water with a few drops of liquid dish soap as a wetting agent and shake it a bit to ensure it's fairly evenly mixed. With the dish soap added to a fairly thin mixture it should very
readily find it way around all the ballast and glue it down fast when dry and I've never experienced any ballast floating to the surface of this mixture.

Also with a mixture like this it will completely soak in and unnoticeable when dry. I'm even using the yellow carpenters glue and it's just barely noticeable upon close inspection.

Hope this helps?

Or use a little isopropyl alcohol instead of dish detergent........doesn't make as many bubbles, does same job.
 
Edit: Jeffrey, every day I think I have a problem, I should read your posts. The battle you have EVERY DAY makes me feel like I'm just whining. Your good attitude is an inspiration to all.

Thanks. No point having a bad attitude about it when I have to live with it every day. I just deal with it as best I can as I'm sure you deal with your own problems. I try to look at the positive side and focus on what I can do rather than what I can't do. Trouble is there's not a heck of a lot I can do.

Yeah Jeffery, I am off work due to disabaility, but mine is just for schizo-affective disorder. I don't know how you maintain such a positive attitude. I know there are times I whine about how I feel, but at least I'm not dealing with physical pain. I don't know how I would handle that. I doubt I could without some serious pain killers.
Todd: I know several people who suffer from the same disorder you do. Two of them believe that their neighbors are out to get them at all times of the day (or night). One manages to hold a job but she has mood swings that can be real beauties. I have moderate mood swings from time to time but mine don't hold a candle to hers. I don't know how bad yours are but I have a fair idea of what you must go through.

As for physical pain, yes I have to deal with that every hour of every day. I can take medication for it but then I wouldn't be able to do very much. I spent a total of two hours in traction today while the laundry was being done. I feel better but time will tell the tale.
 
I know several people who suffer from the same disorder you do. Two of them believe that their neighbors are out to get them at all times of the day (or night). One manages to hold a job but she has mood swings that can be real beauties. I have moderate mood swings from time to time but mine don't hold a candle to hers.

OMG! :eek: Jeffrey, I was unaware that you had made the aquaintance of my Ex-Wife! :eek: My sincere and heartfelt sympathies! :eek::D:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know how you do it either Jeffrey. Being diabetic myself, my symptoms are much, much milder than yours. Minor neuropathy in my legs and left fingers ain't nothing compared to the issues you have fought. But you're right. Ain't no sense complaining, cuz it wont make it go away!:D
 


Minor neuropathy in my legs and left fingers ain't nothing compared to the issues you have fought.
That neuropathy can be something else! Imagine having a six inch nail going through your foot and not feeling it unless it hit a bone. That's me. Same problem with my hands. Accidentally put a paring knife through my left hand once. In through the palm and out through the top. Fortunately it didn't hit any major blood vessels and just missed a nerve. Didn't feel anything but a little pressure.
 
Ok, for those that have never seen snow (Chris) or for those who see little snow (Alabama Gang) here a little footage from last night. I's hard to see Midnight put one foot in the snow then retreat, ( film a black cat at night, this is what ya get) but this is what we just dealt with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTb3mRgZ1bk
Got a train show in a week, who wants to dig my trailer out???:confused:
 
Say Corey
It seems like your having a lot more trouble gluing your ballast down than you should?

If I remember you should be using a mixture of 1/3 white clue to 2/3's parts of water with a few drops of liquid dish soap as a wetting agent and shake it a bit to ensure it's fairly evenly mixed. With the dish soap added to a fairly thin mixture it should very
readily find it way around all the ballast and glue it down fast when dry and I've never experienced any ballast floating to the surface of this mixture.

Also with a mixture like this it will completely soak in and unnoticeable when dry. I'm even using the yellow carpenters glue and it's just barely noticeable upon close inspection.

Hope this helps?
That's how I did it. I've never had problems before like this. My issue is that I want it perfectly flat so you can't see any bumps. As the glue mixture was drying you could see bumps in the drying ballast. I think my problem was not letting the ballast dry before examining it. My real problem is that fine ballast from Woodland Scenics is really too big to represent anything but huge gravel stones. That's why I'm being anal about the level of it all. Oh well, the metal putty knife smoothed it out nicely. Thanks for the help though.
 
If I remember you should be using a mixture of 1/3 white clue to 2/3's parts of water with a few drops of liquid dish soap as a wetting agent and shake it a bit to ensure it's fairly evenly mixed. With the dish soap added to a fairly thin mixture it should very
readily find it way around all the ballast and glue it down fast when dry and I've never experienced any ballast floating to the surface of this mixture.
What I do is to drip on 70% alcohol followed by 50/50 mix of water/white glue. Never had a problem with it yet.
 
Jeff- Ive always wondered about how you keep a positive frame of mind, yet never thought I was in the position to ask about it or how youd react to it. More power to ya Jeff.

Karl- Thanks for the tip, now to track down some DL-103s and were in business :rolleyes:

Had a blast today, obviously not during the test, but we went to the same restuarant for lunch today that we go to during football, even walked the same route from school. Talk about bringing back great memories. The only difference being we had the girls with us this time :D:rolleyes:

Hope everyone has a good day.
 
Jeff- Ive always wondered about how you keep a positive frame of mind, yet never thought I was in the position to ask about it or how youd react to it.
That's how you learn things. No point jumping on someone for asking a sensible question as long as they don't make fun of the answer somewhere else. Had that happen a couple of times on a site that shall remain nameless. Guy asked me some questions which I answered then he went to this other site and showed his infantile attitude by rewording his questions so that the answers I gave sounded stupid. Needless to say I was more than a little ticked off when I found out. Still I see no point in withholding knowledge if others can learn from it.
 


Good evening folks

I have not been around for a few days. I had Jury Duty on Monday. I did not get selected although I was part of a panel that was chosen to sit for an eight day medical malpractice case. We sat around the courtroom for eight hours doing nothing while the attorneys farted around. I was glad that I did not get picked for the jury. The hospital involved was the one that almost killed my FIL twice.

I am now officially sick of snow. We had another 15 inches fall yesterday. It has snowed every third day this month. I have where to put any more snow. It took almost four hours today to clear the driveway and walkways. This was a heavy snow. It snowed then rained, then sleet, and then back to snow. It kept clogging the blades on the snow blower. Now they are calling for the possibility of more snow this weekend and early next week.

I wanted to work on some trains tonight but I am in too much pain from shoveling.

I hope everybody has a good evening.
 
01/28/2011

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png
anim_snoopy.png
1.png

Diner.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png


;)
 
Good morning. I made it in to work yesterday with no trouble, but it was nerve wracking to follow almost anybody else on the road. They'd come to a bridge and slam on their brakes to crawl across it, whether there was any ice on it, or it was completely dry.
4 years ago today, I was getting ready to be released from the hospital to home after the accident that nearly killed me (twice). Once from the accident, once from a hospital infection I got. Two extensive surgeries, and then two more to open everything back up to clean out the infection, and 6 months in a wheelchair. Not a fun time. We lost the house, the car, 90% of my model railroad collection, all my equipment, and most of my tools. We ended up living in a travel trailer for 18 months, and our credit is still trashed.
I'm better now, though on these cold, wet days, things still hurt that I didn't know I had before...
 
4 years ago today, I was getting ready to be released from the hospital to home after the accident that nearly killed me (twice). Once from the accident, once from a hospital infection I got.
Know what you're talking about there. I've nearly lost my life to aggressive resistant staph infections twice in the past few years. Not fun!


Good morning. It's 42° and clear. The high will be 66° and it will be sunny.

I feel much better this morning. No pain in my neck, just in my back, knees and my right ankle. But I always have that so it's no big thing. Today I'll likely be doing some work on the layout. Being that half of it has new track I have some work to do. I got a small plastic sanding block that I will be making even smaller. I'm going to use my Dremel to cut it down about 1.5" X 2". That will be just the size I need for it to span both rails without hanging over much on either side. I already have the 600, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper I'll be needing along with several 6"X6" sheets of cork. My jar of Blue Magic metal polish is close at hand as is a piece of the handle of an old stainless steel spoon. What is all this for? Why is it all important for getting part of the work on the layout completed? G-L-E-A-M. The new track (about 50') needs to be GLEAMed. That means sanding the railheads starting with the 600 grit sandpaper then with the 800 grit and finally the 1200 grit. Following this I'll go over all the freshly sanded rail with the piece of stainless steel then use a piece of cork to apply the metal polish to the tops of the rails. After that dries I'll use pieces of cork to buff the polish off. That sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. It gets the track really clean, gets rid of gouges in the tops of the rails and reduces future track maintenance (cleaning) to a minimum. The old track that has been in place since around 2004 was GLEAMed in the summer of 2006 and hasn't required more than an occasional wipe with a dry cloth since. The reason I would like this should appear to be obvious.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone.

We are foggy with a high around 32. Did you hear that, we are almost above freezing! Well, it means we'll get a little snow and then temps head back to zero in a few days. This teaser of twenties and thirties sure is nice.

My gravel parking lot finally turned out. I'm ready to never look at it again! Now I need to figure out what other buildings my little town should have. It already has two strips of merchant buildings, a church, a grain co-op, depot and freight depot. I'm thinking maybe a school and a bank are in order. There isn't much room for the school though. The kids won't have anywhere to play outside! I think I need to remember, "selective compression". I think I need to check out ebay and see what's on sale!:D

I better get to work. Have a good day folks.
 
Good morning folks

It was 25 F as I slid onto the still snow covered highways this morning. Our high will be 35 F. The weather mis-forecasters say we are supposed to get a coating of snow today. Given their track record (Wednesday we got 15 inches, they said 4 inches) who knows what will happen.

You can tell where one township ends and another begins. My township, Upper Darby the roads are so-so. In Haverford they looked like they have not seen a plow or salt truck since yesterday morning. Driving on some of their roads gave your shock absorbers a workout. Once I hit Radnor it was clear and dry roads. The rest of the trip through Tredyffrin and Upper Merion was basically the same.

I am not sure what we will be doing this weekend. I guess the weather may have a say in it.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Know what you're talking about there. I've nearly lost my life to aggressive resistant staph infections twice in the past few years. Not fun!..

Been there, done that, even got the T-shirt! That's how I got RSD, also known today as CRPS, (Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome). Mine came from all the central line IV's I had to have for the antibiotics. But since I'm also positive for MRSA, at least when I'm in the hospital, I get a private room. That way cross contamination is not a problem.

You can get used to the pain, but its always there. Even with my meds, it never truely ever goes away. Some days it gets so bad that all I can do is stay in bed and try not to move as it then gets unbearable. When that happens, its a quick trip to the ER and a good bolus of Dilaudid or MSO4 IV and several of hours worth of observation. Then home and another couple of days in bed recovering from the narcotics. At those dosages, you can get quite a hangover at times. I get some real doozies of a headache from that medicine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
4 years ago today, I was getting ready to be released from the hospital to home after the accident that nearly killed me (twice). Once from the accident, once from a hospital infection I got.

Theres why I try to not go to hospitals, nuttin but sick people there!!:rolleyes:

Also, on this date in History,

1547, King Henry VIII dies, at the age of 53
1915 Congress created the Coast Guard, as a branch of the Military
1961 I was born
1973 The Paris Peace Accords went into effect, officially ending the US involvement in Vietnam.
1986 The Space Shuttle "Challenger" exploded shortly after liftoff, killing all on board.

Strange day huh?:rolleyes:
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top