ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr! We are finally sgetting our winter. It is supposed to be - something tonight and it's been snowing most of the day.
I took my sister to the airport this AM and when I returned home my neighbor had shoveled my sidewalk and driveway. Yea!! I shoveled his last weekend because he was out of town and his wife recently gave birth and she didn't need to be out shoveling. Sure didn't expect him to do all my shoveling! Was a nice surprise!
On the way to the airport we saw a bus that had rolled sown a huge hill right by DIA. Guess no one was seriously injured.
Have any of you ever seen the demon bronco at DIA? Some genius commissioned a metal sculpture of a blue horse with red eyes at the entrance to the terminal. It is HIDEOUS! The eyes glow bright red at night. It's really creepy.
It's gonna be on the chilly side tonight. It's 37° now. The expected low will be 26° with a north wind at 5 to 9 mph and a 40% chance of rain. Just no more sleet for a while. We had a bunch of that this morning. Still beats getting that white crap though. If all goes as planned tomorrow and Murphy stays out of my business I'll be pretty busy tomorrow sanding down the rough areas in the joint compound on the layout. My orbital sander will be hooked up to the Shop-Vac for that chore. Better to have the plaster dust going into the vac than all over the room. Right now it's time for me to head toward the bed. See y'all tomorrow.
Good morning. It's cloudy and 27 here. It's supposed to snow later, we'll see how much snow.
Because the weather was supposed to turn bad today, we went ahead and towed all the trailers back from the RV show last night. I got home just after midnight, after helping clean up our display area and stage the trailers in a parking lot. I finally got to bed about 1:30, after eating supper and showering. Yes, I'm still tired...zzzz...
Good morning. It's 33° and cloudy. The high should be 45° and it will be rather cloudy with a 5 mph north wind.
Today I'll be doing some sanding work on the layout, if old man Murphy doesn't get in the way that is. I fully expect him to pop up at the worst possible moment. He tried getting a start last night when I couldn't find the hole punch plate for the sander. Without it I wouldn't be able to punch holes through the sandpaper so the plaster dust could be drawn through by the vacuum. I accomplished the task with a hand held paper hole punch. It took quite a bit of pressure to punch through the fabric backed sanding sheets I have. Good thing I have a very firm grip. I prepped six sheets in this fashion which should be more than enough. The forecast for the layout is for a dusty day with high winds possible in the work area.
Sorry I miss the 6:00 O'clock weather update last night.
My daughter offered to fix supper for us, so my wife dragged me out the door.
I'm sitting at home in full electric service. The roads in my neighborhood have about 1/2" of ice on about 1" of snow, but most roads are closed.
The trees are not too bad and I think the temp is about 32*F, so the ice is starting to melt a little.
This to shall pass.
One point to Murphy! Get this. My heater is one of those electric jobs with the flame effect in front so it looks like an old fashioned glass front wood heater. Well earlier this morning the light in it burned out and the heater stopped working. No more heat! I took both bulbs out and inspected them. They were blown out alright. I wondered why the heater wouldn't work regardless so I put a night light bulb in one of the sockets. The bulb lit up and the heater came back on. How weird is that! The heater takes two 25 watt candelabra base bulbs and guess what I didn't have any of on hand. I had to go to town to get some new bulbs. Naturally they didn't have them in a 2 pack. I had to get a 6 pack. At least now I have some spares on hand. The heater is once again lit up and putting out heat. Come warmer weather I'm going into it and see what's up with that weird thing with it working only when good bulbs are in it. That's too weird.
Tried to get online this morning and the puter told me it had a boot error. OH NO said I what am I to do?
glendia said just get the laptop so i did and that is what I am on now but I still like the desktop so's off we go to do sum puter shopping.
Well, once again the bad winter storm turned out a bit puny. After midnight, mostly sleet fell and even though the temps were slightly below freezing, most of it stayed as a slush. Still white roofs in the neighborhood. The wife made it to work without any problem, thanks to traction control on the car.
On the layout: I decided to reclaim some real estate to have a room for a "boys town" (bars, massage parlors, tattoo shops, per-hour hotels, etc.) part of a city. This area had been cutout way back in the early days when I needed better access to a now, non-existing yard. I got started on it last night and should finish up with the lumber part today.
TERRY: since we didn't get any significant use out of the winter storm, we decided to send it up your way. Enjoy!
Jeffrey: why don't you just use a screen hand sander for the sheet rock mud? Less dust flying around.
It's 30 here with snow on the ground with another 3 to 5 inches heading my way starting at 3 am tuesday morning. It's supposed to drop down in the mid teens tonight.
I still haven't gotten anything done on my layout. I have to clean up the basement from top to bottom before I can get anything done. I hate this because my wife will be cracking the whip until it's done. So wish me luck boys, cuz I don't have any right now. lol
Didn't have ANY dust flying around. The sander has a vacuum attachment on it. Any dust gets sucked up and ends up in the Shop-Vac. And now the bulk of the sanding is done.
We're at 31 and cloudy with a winter storm expected just after midnight tonight. We had just gotten clear enough for the goats to feed themselves without needing hay to supplement their diet.
Well the puter shopping went well. 4GB ram, 1TB harddrive, windows 7 home, plus a whole bunch of crap I will never have any use for. I wish I had the Intel processor but this AMD seems to be working OK. This thing downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird in no time flat so now on to the big stuff like I Tunes for my I phone.
Like Todd said anywhere for 3 to 5 of the fluffy white but some areas could get up to 7. I think the east coast is due for another 12 to 14 instead of us getting it. They NEED IT BAD LOL LOL LOL Moisture coming in from the west and also going to be picking up some more moisture from the south as it comes north. OH Joy OH Joy
...Thanks... And here I thought you liked me...
There's 3 inches of snow on the ground now, they're forecasting sleet and freezing rain later tonight, turning back to snow later. I'm glad we moved all the travel trailers back to the dealership last night, even though we were out until nearly midnight doing it.
Oh, and I managed to dump a brand-new fifth wheel trailer on the ground.
Maybe next time when I tell them the hitch isn't latching up properly, they'll listen. Naahhh....
Oh, and I managed to dump a brand-new fifth wheel trailer on the ground.
Maybe next time when I tell them the hitch isn't latching up properly, they'll listen. Naahhh....