ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Larry- Mechanically, yours and my dads truck are almost identical. He has 4WD and only a 4 speed with the extended cab though. Sounds like a really nice ride, enjoy it!
Chris- One of the things i ran into when looking for a summer job was that I had to compete with adults fighting for the same position. One of the managers golfs with my dad,and he said one of the biggest problems with kids my age were that we were competing against people with high school diplomas, some even had college degrees. I attended a job fair for a theme park, and they were conducting interviews at a row of tables, the person to the left of me was 24, to the right was 37! Ill be wishing you luck with your search for another job.
Well, our trip up north was relatively uneventful. I almost walked out of Gander Mt with a beautiful new Browning X-Bolt in 30-06. For some reason i left it on the rack. Beautiful walnut stock, lueopold scope, and i left it sitting there. Im almost kicking myself right now, my dad said i could buy it too. Im not really sure why its not in my gunrack right now. Maybe ill talk with him about it tommorow and see if we can get it next weekend. I did manage to spend the rest of my christmas money on some new shirts. Didnt see much in the way of trains. I did see a whole bunch of Vermont Railway TOFC trailers though.
Thats about what I pay per child, and at one time I was paying for 3 of em!
Thank goodness the little one is now 3 days shy of 15. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
There are probably a million comments I could make on this one, but since it is the New Year, and were still into the "Goodwill toward men" season. I'll let it go.
Say it again in July, and it could get ugly!
We had a great time at the Mummers Fancy Brigade Finale. The show was awesome! Broadway shows have to be jealous of some these 4 1/2 minute productions. Jokers won the night. They did a Clash of the Titans theme with a thirty or forty foot high kraken and Medusa head. Shooting Stars had a super production with the Legend of Loch Ness which took place in a Scottish grave yard with flying ghosts. Saturnalians did a super Native American production with some of the most colorful costumes I have ever seen and a thirty foot high bald eagle.
We even got to ride the train into Philadelphia.
I will try to post some pictures once I get the camera downloaded.
Spent much of the day down at my parents place. After the new years meal my sister and niece tied into the kitchen to clear the clutter out while my mother sat and watched it happen. Anytime you can get free help take advantage of it. They were finding stuff in there that I hadn't seen in many years! One example is a pressure cooker that's older than I am. Still has all the parts. Here's another example. A Dazey Seal-A-Meal vacuum packager Model SAM 1, complete, still in the box. Bought new when Jimmy Carter was president. They pulled out cast iron cookware that collectors would happily kill for. The cabinets are so deep that when just two of them were cleared out the kitchen looked like two rows in a warehouse! After four hours they got a sixth of the cabinets cleared and haven't EVEN hit the big stuff yet. That kitchen is huge! I could park my trailer in it and you could get around it.
Good morning. It's 40 and sunny. The wind is from the north at 6 mph with gusts to 10. Problem is it comes right across the lake and it feels really darn cold. The high will be 56 and it will be mostly sunny.
Today I'm stripping some thick coats of spray paint from an outside braced gondola. I got off all I could with the alcohol bath. Now it's time to go over it a soft polishing wheel in the Dremel. I'll have to be careful though as the wheel can remove plastic just as easily as it removes paint.
Well in the continuing saga of my ill grandson. The girls got back with him after 11PM. Of course he was still cranky and whiny. The Dr, at the afterhours clinic took an X-ray of his chest and he does have a nice case of bacterial pneumonia. So that means I have to stay away from him as much as possible. My wife took yesterday off, first time in 5 years she's called in, to take care of him so his momma could work. Today, momma's taken the day off so she can care for him, and Granny can work.
I would take care of him but with my non-immune system, that would be pushing it. Granny and Momma asked the Dr about that and the Dr said for me to avoid as much contact with him for at least the next week. They've put him on some killer antibiotics and tylenol for fever.
Its only been a day already but I really miss his little arms around GOP!'s neck.
It was 34 here this morning and last night as well with continuous rain, as it has for almost the entire past week. Things are really soaked.
Last Night/this morning I hand scrubed the spur line ties with a small Stainless Steel brush to get the desired weathered effect and then stained them with different Floquil Stains I had, some were mixed. I came to realize just how much I enjoyed the smell of the Diosoil and stain, guess I'm addicted but I sure like the effect of the ties being stained different colors.
Btw, the curved ramp came out better than expected using the sound board and cut fairly well using my inverted Jig/Saber saw and a Bosch blade.
Now I can get to spiking down some code 55 rail I pulled off, pulled the spikes out from a section of the old layout. No sense letting it go to waste.
Good morning. It's clear and 27 here. It's supposed to go all the way up to 45 today, which was yesterday's low. We had some wind yesterday and last night, there are tree branches down in many places, though nothing really bad.
It was 27 F as I headed out onto the highways this morning. Our high will be 38 F.
There was not much excitement yesterday. Dad’s taxi service was in full use. I had to take the kids and a couple of their friends to the roller skating rink. We went to a different rink than the one they usually go to. The last few times at the old place the kids complained it was not fun. Going to the “new” place was strange. It was one that I haunted as a teenager. I have not been there in over 20 years. Other than a new name and a fresh coat of paint it had not changed much. The kids had a great time and want to go back. Funny how some things don’t change. Later in the day my daughter had to go to a friend’s birthday party.
I didn’t get any train time. I am hoping in the New Year to get more in.
Well, with little fanfare and lots of vacuuming, Christmas is gone! Isn't it amazing how fast it comes down compared to how long it takes to put up? My wife had to work yesterday so taking down Christmas was the only thing on my to do list. Once that was done I played with trains all day.
I reweathered my highway to even out the darker streaks for each lane of traffic. It looks much better now. I also glued down the concrete streets for my new town section. Next up are the sidewalks. This little town is taking shape quickly. I even finished assembling the Walthers church for the middle of town. A couple more days like yesterday and I'll be cruising right along.
I have a long and hopefully uneventful day at work today. This week is the local area high schools Jobs Daughters Dance. It's like a Sadie Hawkins dance. That means lots of tuxedos to be picked up. Today is the calm before the storm!
Good morning. It's 28° and partly cloudy. The high should be 57° and it should be mostly sunny with cloudiness increasing tonight.
Have to go into town to get my grocery shopping done as well as pay the cable bill to keep my internet service going and I need to drop some books at the library. I'll see if they have any new model railroad books while I'm there. They don't have much as it is, just half of a 3 foot shelf. As to what I'll do with the rest of the day I have no idea. That depends on how I feel when I get back home.
Carey Keeping away for a short time is better than going round and catching something that could finish you off, it's not nice when he's poorly but think about the things you can do when he's better
Been sawing and splitting logs all day, only got an hour on call then i can have a beer
Well i am being pulled in every direction possible regards my only space "The Garage" it's 17' x 9' we want to build a new layout, but i had to put a home gym in there which has eaten up 6' x 6' i have 6 filing cabinets which hog another 20" x 8' on top of this i have to keep a supply of logs for the log burner AND my lad wants a bench for his woodworking stuff inc mini lathe. It's going to be a very small layout i think, the only real option is for a switching layout in a horse shoe shape with the longest straight possible being 5ft. i have been very ruthless and thrown tons of stuff away but you can only go so far. But then again nobody ever said model railroading would be simple, the old saying springs to mind "It's like trying to cram 10lbs of sh1t into a 5 lbs bag"
Well, the holidays are behind us and I have to admit...YEA! They are kind-of like relatives: glad to see'um, glad when they are gone.
I finally got the "ground throws" (27) installed in Central Yard and all that remains to be done is some dressing up/weathering. The wife is off work today and finding plenty of things for me to do. (Amazing how they can find things when we believe there is nothing to do .)
Carey: sorry about your grandson being so sicky. Let me know when all are well and the best time to come over. I have started a (very)short list for the LHS.
Steve: glad you are thinking about a new layout, but you must get your priorities in order: Layout FIRST put the other stuff in the rain! Thanks for the Roll Tide. The win over Michigan State just showed what we could have done all year...but didn't. We should have a great season next year even if we lose a few players to the Pro's.
Mikey: If the War Buzzards can catch lightning, they can do a job on the Ducks. (I know the Auburn cheerleaders can snag lightning.) The countdown to kickoff has begun.
David: sounds like you're moving right along with the layout. Can't wait to see some photos.
Guess I better get outside and take down all the decorations.
1-03-11
Good Morning All,
It a brisk 36* but finally the sun is shinning but with cloudy skies just the same, it probably won't get over 40* today.
Rex: Yes, thanks things are progressing a bit and I'm glad to get the slight incline put in to the raised section where the Copper & Iron Works is located. I have to try an get some pictures posted.
I just had some crazy old couple try to exchange a tailored suit. They claim the jacket wasn't the one they bought. I calmly explained that we never had that suit in the smaller size and that they were mistaken. She proceeded to read me the riot act about how I was speaking to her. Now, I know I can be sarcastic, but this wasn't one of those times. I replied that I had already offered to tailor the jacket and they had declined. I asked her what else could I do. The husband started to realize that they were in fact mistaken and took me up on the tailoring. I don't know if they were having buyers remorse or a senior moment. At one point I handed them the suit and motioned for the door. I think that's when he realized that I wasn't messing around.