ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I want to add special lighting to my n scale layout. I would like to add rail yard lighting as well as freight depot loading. Additionally, I have a baseball field that needs to have lights. I know that Brawa has an n scale double floodlight (BR4012 - around $18) but what I really need are the flood lights at the top of the tower. I would like to make my own towers which have 4 of the BR4012 lights, two facing out and two facing the full other direction. I have contacted Brawa to see if they have "replacement parts" but I have not received a response. Anyone out there can give me help? Thanks, Harlan
I have a miniatronics dual light on a tower, which is similar to the Brawa unit, and I worry every time I leave it on for any length of time that the tower will turn into a pile of melted girders. The 2 bulbs put out A LOT of heat.........I'd really worry with 4 bulbs up there. In fairness, I've had no problems, but the lamps (housings) get too hot to touch in about 10 minutes. If you are going that route, I'd definitely build your own tower and use brass or some other metal.
I use mine to light the grounds/yard/loading area of a mine, and the 2 lamps seem to provide a good level of light.
I've never seen "parts" for any lighting products.......hope you get lucky!
Well I have been notified by Brawa that they do not sell replacement parts to the towers, that if I need to have replacements, buy a new tower. Great, at $18, nice try. Well I went out on my own. I obtained a set of LED holders, chrome panel mount holders that look like arch lights. Then I bought two 5 mm high brightness white LEDs. They do look like the lights on top of towers. I connected the lights via bell wire to my 12 volt power source used to power the turnouts. Checked the LED reistor calculator and determined that with 12 v out and 3.5 v needed for 25 mA that the resistor should be 360. Hooked it all up and it works great. LEDs no heat. The two lights cost only $5 and placed at the top of a StripStyrene tube they look great. Only issue is what do I use to attach the lights to the tube (pole). I would like something like a "u" shaped horseshoe on a platform. Still thinking. Thanks for your help....Harlan
Well I just attempted a design using the plastic tube and box as the cross member. I then ran the wires through the cross member and down the tube. Seems to work ok. Should do. I wanted to post a picture here but I do not know how to put a picture on these messages. Any help. The picture is a jpg on my desktop. Thoughts?
or you can add pictures to your profile... that's how I do mine.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)