Y turnouts

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I'm not sure what you're asking. In general, the diverging routes from a wye turnout are twice the radius of the turnout number, so a #3 wye would have diverging routes that have about the same radius as the diverging route of a # 6 switch.
 
That's right, UP...

I have some Shinohara #2 wyes that mate up with #4 turnouts...

IMG_3911.jpg
 


If there is a #3 Y turnout, would it actualy only have the turn of a #6 standard turnout?

Yes. I use a hand-laid #3 whose diverging routes do that at the same rate as a #6 through the frog and beyond. In fact, it actually continues to curve just a fraction, so it isn't strictly a N. American standard appliance. But, it works just dandy.

-Crandell
 
Well, a #4 has about an 18" diverging route and a #6 has about a 24" diverging route. I think a 22" diverging route would be a #5. They aren't common, but you can find them, aprticularly in the Peco and Walthers/Shinohara lines. I know Atlas Customline had a #5 switch at one time, but I don't know if it's in production any longer.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top