ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I am very new to my N-scale and my layout below has an issue. When I cross the red line where my insulated connectors are my loco stops and I have to reverse the current direction on my power supply. This is a DC layout. I know I need to reverse the polarity but I just don't know where or how. Any help is appreciated.
Cav, you are a gap shy. You need one more gap at the next turnout on that leg of your wye. Also, none of your trains can be longer than the gapped side of the wye.
Next, you need an double pole/double throw toggle switch (DPDT). You can get them at Radio Shack/Circuit City/The Source, or Mafeo's, whatever it's called this week, or on line if you shop around, or at a local electronics supply store.
There are sources on the internet that show how they are to be wired. Essentially, you wire them on the input side to the same terminals your track feed comes from, and you wire the output terminals on the DPDT to the rails that are isolated on that side of the wye. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which rail in the wye because a simple toggle flick will correct any problems when the first metal tires bridge the gaps.
I typed, "How to wire a toggle dpdt" into my web browser. I got several hits.
Here is the link to the images of the various kinds of DPDT and how to wire them. Note that some require you to wire them for reversal, but the better ones are internally reversed so that no extra wiring is needed.
Ok I figured out the reversing switch wiring not terribl difficult, but my wye is still not working the way I think it should. If someone could modify my drawing for my stupid ass I would probably give them all my fricking trains.
Here's my problem, when I throw the switch to go acorss the A section, my track is reversed and everything works fine until I cross gap 3 and get onto the b section, that obviously has no power becausoe of gaps 1 and 2 (you have no idea how long it took me to remember I put in that stupid gap) so with that being said I hooked up another reversing switch on the B section, only it doesn't reverse which again is fairly obvious because I am using the same feed for B section as for A section. So my question is do I pull out gaps 1 and 2, do I leave just one gap, or do I get some dynamite and go all snidley whiplash on my layout.
You are right this is not complicated. Just a matter of taking it one step at a time.
Ok here is the deal. You need two reverser switches.
The first switch is the one you have. It is used to align the polarity of the reversing section (your wye) with the track from which the train is entering.
The second switch needs to be on the main line. When the train gets 100% into the reversing section the polarity of the main is switched so it will match when the train comes out.
Your section B should be combined with the main loop on the 2nd switch, or combined with section A on the 1st switch.
Depends on how you want to run it.
The trick is knowing which direct each switch needs to be for the route of the train. It might be useful to make a chart to use for reference.
Ok I made the change you suggested and it worked, almost. the wye section reverses one way just fine, however I think I need to wire the switch different. When the switch is in the down position the polarity is reveresed, when it is centered nothing, when it is up nothing. I think I need to change the input side but I don't know for sure.
Ok I made the change you suggested and it worked, almost. the wye section reverses one way just fine, however I think I need to wire the switch different. When the switch is in the down position the polarity is reveresed, when it is centered nothing, when it is up nothing. I think I need to change the input side but I don't know for sure.
OK I think I know the exact problem. I don't know exactly how to write/explain it. You don't need to change the input side, but to cross it. That is take an additional very short wire and cross it from where the input wire connects to the switch to the contact on the other pole on the opposite side. Do the same for the other. The two new wires should form an "X" across the switch.
On the diagram provided in waltr's post above these would be the little black wires.
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to work finally. I have no idea if it's right but it works. Someone let me know. On the switch section I installed for sets of power leads running thru a dpdt switch, flip the switch the direction changes, just like it's supposed to. on the main line I didn't install anything because my controller has a built in reversing switch, so that works good.
Your reversing segment only needs to match one end of it at a time. Think of it this way, if you had no gaps, just the turnouts, the rails would meet at one of the turnouts and cause the polarity problem. So, you insert a gapped length and try to fix the mismatch with a toggle. However, when you run the other way, the toggling action has now rendered the other end of that reversing length the problem.
Toggling with a properly wired DPDT just swaps the problem from one end to the other, but you work it so that the train always meets a 'good' end. That's it!
For a reversing section, you need to be able to swap polarity between the rails affected by the toggle, and the toggle itself must be a correctly wired DPDT.
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to work finally. I have no idea if it's right but it works. Someone let me know. On the switch section I installed for sets of power leads running thru a dpdt switch, flip the switch the direction changes, just like it's supposed to. on the main line I didn't install anything because my controller has a built in reversing switch, so that works good.
But I am surprised. The direction switch on the controller should reverse the direction of the train anywhere on the whole layout not just the main. Well unless it is one of those controllers that has a built in reversing section switch (MRC control master X comes to mind).
Well you know it did now that I think about it. I probably could have gotten away with just using the switch on the controller but I wanted to isolate the section, in hindsight would have been alot easier if I had just left it alone.