ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Oh that's easy. This is what I have, total of 24 on my layout.
For DCC controlled switches, I would recommend Peco Insulfrogs with Peco switch machines (solenoid machines made for DCC).
The switches are high quality, last long. And the switch machines mount directly under the switch points. So there is no visible switch machine, or other device (like tortoise, that are mounted under the benchwork).
You dig a small 2"x2" hole in your foam, and fit the switch machines in there.
I like them because they are not visible.
Now you will need DCC accessory decoders also, they talk to your command station.
I have the NCE snap-it's. They are for DCC and solenoid switch machines.
I will be checking into those then sir. This is the time I wish someone with more experience lived closer to me so they could help out haha.
There is a train expo here in september Im going to go check out and see what or who I can find.
I did manage to score some 2" foam on Craigslist for $20 a sheet tonight. Will be picking it up this weekend. Thats the cheapest Ive found it. May pick up everything he has (15 sheets) so I can use it not just as the subroadbed but also landscaping.
I will be adding a backdrop here soon. Still trying to figure it out though. Not to sure if I want sky or a combo of sky and landscape.
This may be a bit hard to explain on here but I'll try.
The very long wall on the right, as you walk in will be a yard to hold coal cars and well cars, with a container yard in the top right corner where the closet is now.
Continuing around just to the left of the window will be a passenger station and all the way to the middle of the peninsula will be a town made up of many German Kibri buildings I have from years ago (if you are facing the track with your back to the window
like one of the last pics I posted)
The opposite side of the peninsula all the way to the door where you enter the room will be a industrial coal area.
I plan on dividing the German town and coal area with a hillside. In my mind this is all working out and should have a pretty neat outcome once completed.
So After drawing the track plan out on my plywood I noticed I had more room than I thought and was thinking of adding the yard at one end and adding it into the branch line that will be for the loading and unloading of containers into well cars. That way no other trains (coal or passanger) would be on that line.
What do you guys think?
Its kind of hard to see but there are red lines on this image. All the red would be a new addition to the original plan.
I love seeing benchwork being built. Very impressive work. I wish I took more time with mine and built it more like yours. Thats great progress for only three days!!! Looking forward to more and keep up the good work! I also like the addition to the trackplan. Adds some operating interest. The only thing with stub-ended tracks is having to back the train out. (one thing I am changing on my layout) If you add 2 turnouts at the end you can make a runaround for the locomotives to hookup to the other end of the train and pull out. Just a thought
Thanks blue. I was thinking of just backing cars into it and having engines back in To hook up. I'm still trying to figure out if I could put a reversing loop in some place but it's not looking good lol.
Don't have much to update at this time guys, Irene decided to pay me a visit here in Virginia beach and we've been without power for a few days so I haven't made any progress. Maybe within the next week or two. Everything from here on out is the time consuming parts haha. Don't want to rush anything and make mistakes.
I feel your pain, I just got my power back this morning after ~80 hours in the dark. The portable generator isn't powerful enough to run the A/C unit, and my garage gets hotter than an oven without it!
You've got a 4" track centreline spacing there. You should be able to quite safely go with a 2.5" spacing and widen out the inside curve to a 25 1/2" radius.