Would anyone want to design a layout for me?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


_____

Member
I have a few ideas and have the dimensions of the room I can use but am having some issues with the online design programs. I must warn you though, it's a large (to me anyway) layout and I'm not really modeling any place in particar. Would like to run atleast 3 trains at a time. One of which would be long (85') passenger cars and need sweeping turns.
 
Put up your dimensions and your druthers and see what happens.
DC or DCC? Lots of switching or main line running? Steam, diesel, or both?
I can give you a rough trackplan to start.
 
9eadf50c.jpg


That's a rough sketch. Only restraint is by the window. I can't exceed 30" away from it otherwise I can't reach it haha.

Mostly mainline running. I'd like to have a yard some place for coal cars because I have a bunch on NS engines and coal cars.

All the engines I have right now are dc. I bought two my son loved which are dcc so I'm thinking of making the switch.

I do have steam and diesel engines.

If I have the room, I thought about having some of the track under the top for the train get from one point on the display to another. That would free up some more real-estate for more track. Hope that makes sense.

I'm working on a layout in scarm but it's not looking to hot at the moment.
 


Not a bad looking space!
On that 7' wall up from the door how much room is there to turn?
If you can't get a circle of track there a duck under may be needed for continuous running.
 
I have been given the goahead to use the whole room now and can run trains all around the perimeter :)

This opens up a whole new world.

The 10' wall on the left has a closet door at the very top. That will now be the entrance to the room since it's a walk in closet and is accessible from the other end.
 
That's really nice choops. Thanks man.

The side on the right that you have the benchwork at 18" can come out to 30" if needed. The turn on the opposite wall would obviously have to be shortened for room to walk though. As far as three trains, the others can run on 18" turns. I also have no problems going up or even below the bench to clear other tracks. The coal train I have I was thinking of running elevated and having it "in the mountains" for a cool look.
 
Nice Choops, add a siding or two and running three trains becomes operations!
Maybe a small yard, an industry or three...
 
Would something like this work for two trains?

untitled-4.jpg


The red line would be elevated and range from 4-8" so it can clear itself and the black track that would be level on the top of the bench.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, well you have two completely different mainlines, that don't even have crossovers to switch tracks.

I would stick with choops plan, the double-tracked mainline. Run 2 trains in the opposite directions. While switching coal hoppers at at a small coal mine with Mountain scene.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I do like the sounds of what you are describing. I'll have to do some research on how to make that work.

Basically I'm just making two layouts like he made, one inside the other and connecting them with two switches so the trains can switch from one line to the other? That would allow two trains to run?
 
Yes, any time you have two mainlines, you will need a crossover. So that you can easily change from the outside to the inside and vice versa.

All you do is place two right or two left turnouts together, facing each other.

IMAGE_024.jpg
 
And that middle blob (peninsula) on choop's plan, would be perfect for a mountain tunnel and a spur track to a coal mine.
 
You can fit more loops in with tighter radii but I always recommend close to a 30 inch radius for a minimum. you can change the configuration on the peninsula to have the track cross itself.
 
Thanks guys. I'm going to play around with that layout and try to add another track in there and maybe a yard someplace I can keep unused cars :)

Also where that door is, I won't be using that entrance so I can come all the way down to that wall and make it a bit longer.
 
After laying it out on the carpet with tape, I think that design is going to be great.

eb428b84.jpg


9fdd2490.jpg


59aef943.jpg


Just checking out how it's going to look :)
 
you can change the configuration on the peninsula to have the track cross itself.

Can you show me a quick example of what you mean?

I'm definently using your layout but do want to try to have a double mainline. I don't want to go too tight on the peninsula so was thinking of having the mainlines come into one track around that curve. Would that work with the rest of the layout being double track?
 
Gotchya. Yea I'll play with that area once I have the benchwork built and see what I can do. With that being the back track I could elevate it all around and drop down or go up as needed to clear that crossing. I think I could do it with about a 2-2.5% grade.

For some reason I thought the first layout was just one track. I saw both lines and though it was the width of the roadbed lol. I'm an Idiot.

I'm also thinking of adding a yard at the end by the door. That extra 30" could hold my parked cars.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Yes you could add a stub ended yard on the bottom, and on the right side, you could add a nice passenger station.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top