Working on a HO scale shelf layout for switching

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jmart4173

New Member
I am working on a HO scale switching layout to fit on an in place shelf in my home office. The space is 84" long and 18" deep (I could go out to 24"). I could use some input on my plan below. I will be using Kato HO Unitrack as that is what I already have available. So some of the turnouts don't look as natural but I will live with it for now.




OfficeShelfIdea2-withindustries.jpg
 
If it were me and I could go to 24" (width) I'd go to 24" to give me a few more options if nothing else. Just a thought.
 
I would eliminate the double main line and use the space for industries. Is there room on the ends for staging?
24" would be better. More room for buildings and scenery.
Steve
 


I would eliminate the double main line and use the space for industries. Is there room on the ends for staging?
24" would be better. More room for buildings and scenery.
Steve

I agree with Choops post. My advice would be to eliminate the double track mainline and add 2 more industries. You've got the room at the top right of the track plan for more businesses. Check out YouTube for ideas, just type in switching layout or shelf layout. Also a guy named Lance Mindhiem has a switching layout based in Miami. His layout is rather impressive and might give you some ideas.
 
I don't understand the purpose or necessity of the small runaround(?) at the bottom of the plan, below the parking lot.

I agree with previous comments about industries instead of a dbl track mainline. However, if you have a specific prototype in mind with a dbl main and want a little of that flavor, I'd leave it in.

Lance Mindheim has written several books on shelf switchers. They're around $18 each on Amazon. The one I have has mostly 3-wall shelfies, but you could maybe adapt a plan. You might also want to Google shelf switcher images - there are a lot of interesting (and frankly also a lot of goofy) shelf switcher plans on the Web.

But my shelfie plan went from a straight shelf to an L to a U and now it's a doughnut, so what do I know? Guess I really wanted a roundy-round. LOL!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top