ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well, one of my purchases arrived in the mail and experienced its first taste of life on the BLR...
CSX Genset 1301 arrives with BLR van #29 in tow. This will be renumbered and patched at some point to reflect its new ownership.
Also been thinking of downsizing the Feed Mill by removing the storage shed extension and using only the main building in the scene. A Rix Grain Bin and a elevating leg could then be added to complete the complex in a different and also typical fashion. This would then open up the area viewing the bridge a bit more as a scenic point of interest. The storage shed extension could then find its way to another location or be stored until needed.
On location as is...
Also been entering data into Easy Model Railroad Inventory program but discovering some needs that it does not provide. May go back to paper or excel spreadsheets.
Also been entering data into Easy Model Railroad Inventory program but discovering some needs that it does not provide. May go back to paper or excel spreadsheets.
Also been entering data into Easy Model Railroad Inventory program but discovering some needs that it does not provide. May go back to paper or excel spreadsheets.
I am still trying to improve my site with a clinic on using Foam-Core board in general and using it to make a diorama for some of our newer modelers. Take a look at http://armchairmodeling.blogspot.com
Well last night I continued with the systematic destruction of a mountain. Managed to finally rescue an engine that had stalled in a tunnel.
I haven't figured out what caused the stall, the engine was still on the track. I suspect when I was making the mountain some plaster dripped on the tracks.
I'm glad this happened as it has forced me to address the problem prior to adding sceanery on the mountain. I think I'll be creating a lift out hatch to cover the hole I've made in case I need to rescue trains in the future.
Last Saturday, I helped install air handlers and blower units in a 1950 Pullman Standard passenger car (chair car) at the Oklahoma Railway Museum.
The Museum is updating the car's air conditioner and heating system and is planning to install "head end power" capability to it (and all the other passenger cars at the museum).
Earlier this year, I helped remove the boom from a self-propelled locomotive crane so it could be hauled to our museum.
My "model" work is done until winter so I volunteer at the museum and work on prototype stuff when I have a Saturday off.
Purchased a Proto CN (stripes) GP38-2 consignment unit that will get patched for BLR when it arrives as I slowly upgrade the tired old fleet with newer more modern models and equipment.
Did a bit more scenicking along the ROW at Winser Siding. I buiild my turf/ground cover in layers - it is starting to look more realistic with every layer. I am almost satisfied with this stretch and can start on another area. Maybe today as I am off work and it is rainy and cold.
Headed up to Train Cellar to pick up some more glue, blades, etc. so I can complete the remaining rolling stock kits I still have. There's not a whole lot I can do without a layout.
Once these are finished I like to get into weathering the cars and locos. That ought to keep me busy for a while and it's a good time to do it. I haven't tried weathering before so expect questions when the time comes.
(At least i have some old rolling stock to experiment on first).
I finally put a ceiling in the "Chamber of the sacred rails", now I'm busy moving the pot lights around to see where they work the best.
Really should have done this BEFORE building the layout, but where would the fun be in that?
I wired feeders to all the track in my lower yard, and it works. Engines occasionally stall, but I don't think it's a wiring issue. I don't have any switch machines or switch stands installed, so I suspect I'm losing power through the turnouts. Usually things start up again all by themselves.
Decision time......where to direct my energies next.