Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


That's an interesting looking car, particularly with it's assymetric roof. Any idea why it was like that?
 
It was an ex Santa Fe car that was donated along with the diner to the Circus World Museum. I'm guessing it covered some ventilation duct work, possibly air conditioning ducts? Really do not know though....
 
A/C ducts would be logical seeing it was a business/obs type car, and the other end usually had a bar or/and food service area.

That's definitely a car with "Ooooh, look at that" features.
 


Ok, some updates;

1) I'm getting ready to strip some cars for my new showtrain. This will not be for the squeamish, they are Royal American coaches that have factory paint from AHM. I'm NOT a collector, therefor they have now value of that kind to me. The paint, while similar to that of RAS, are incorrect in many way anyway. I'll post the process later this week.

2) I've been commissioned to do another 15 car train. This time HO scale and it is the Golden Spike Centennial, Here is a youtube link of the prototype;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PQ57Riul0

I'll post that paint, in this thread , so if you want to see it you'll find it here.

Have a great week.....
 
Royal American Coaches? Didn't you guys have have a little "tiff" with some King at one time, something about tea leaves or such wasn't it?

Great video, loved the music, will be watching for your "open air" coach conversion.
 
How are the projects coming Johnny? I just finished the first coat of primer on my recently acquired flats and stocks. Im sitting at 4 stocks, 10 flats and 10 coaches all waiting for the paint shop. Im looking at adding another stock and 5 flats to round out the train sometime in the future. How did the super detailing turn out on your stocks?
 
Coming along nicely Eric. I have 8 coaches soaking some paint off and 1 elephant car, 3 stock cars all detailed awaiting paint. I will also be doing one more elephant car as well. 16 flats await decals.

I haven't post because with all this, I'm doing a 15 car HO Golden Spike Limited for a client. And it's a time constraint project.

Feel free to share your progress here as this is kind of a anything circus thread I figure! Post some pics!


Happy modeling!
 
Just droppin in quick with a photo and small update for circus fans.

Set up this test shot showing the new canopy on the observation platform. The IHC ones just don't cut it...


ARGSC4a.jpg



As I mentioned, I'm doing a 15 car "Golden Spike Centennial" train in HO scale.

Here is an example of sent to me for copying. The scroll work on the lower side towards the ends are actually the two locomotives present at the original driving of the golden spike in 1869. The side of the cars read 'American Railroads' and 1869\1969.


ARGSC2.jpg
 


Two of the three Circus World Museum coaches are seen in original paint. The cars are on the sidings of the Trapino Bros Circus winterquarters. All sorts of railroad and truck show stuff shows up here as the shops are quite extensive. Rumor has it the cars are going to be repainted into a some 'new' scheme and colors....I sure hope not!

1ant.jpg
 
Update

Heres a small update on my modeling. Almost everything is ready for a base coat. Have a few unbuilt wagon kits still in boxes waiting for sanding/assembly as well as a couple of run kits and tractors. 10 flats, 2 elephant, 2 stock, and a number of wagons, plus 10 Pullmans waiting for paint as well. Scored a bunch of NOS white RBBB decals for the Pullmans, still looking for the flats and stocks. Enjoy and happy modeling!

picture.php


picture.php


Heres a link to the gallery:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=208

-Eric
 
Nice work Eric, thanks for sharing and post whenever you want to this circus thread....

An observation and diner from Royal American Shows arrive for upgrades and repairs....

Thanks Johnny, I got a couple of more kits put together last night and built a few more sets of couplers too. I finally got a hold of a stake driver kit, should arrive today I believe.

Are these RAS cars the beginning of your new train? How did your latest project for that customer turn out?
 
Are some of the heavyweights former Santa Fe (ATSF) heavyweights?

I kind of notice a channel (I beam) running along the bottom that is an oh so Santa Fe spotting feature. The windows also have a Santa Fe look to them.

Oops, looked a few posts back and yes some are Santa Fe cars
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Johnny, I got a couple of more kits put together last night and built a few more sets of couplers too. I finally got a hold of a stake driver kit, should arrive today I believe.

Are these RAS cars the beginning of your new train? How did your latest project for that customer turn out?

Eric,

The RAS cars are the only 2 I have and will keep in RAS dress. The others were striped to be painted into my new showtrain. I also plan to carefully peel the colorful 'Tampa' banner from the diner, scan it and print it as a decal to better the car. These 2 will also get the black stripping and trim that were on the prototype.

The other project for the client is the Golden Spike Centennial train, is on hold. I am currently in recvery after emergency umbilical hernia surgery and will be on the mend for a least 3 weeks. Today is the first day since leaving the hospital last weekend I have been able to sit up and type.
 
Eric,

The RAS cars are the only 2 I have and will keep in RAS dress. The others were striped to be painted into my new showtrain. I also plan to carefully peel the colorful 'Tampa' banner from the diner, scan it and print it as a decal to better the car. These 2 will also get the black stripping and trim that were on the prototype.

The other project for the client is the Golden Spike Centennial train, is on hold. I am currently in recvery after emergency umbilical hernia surgery and will be on the mend for a least 3 weeks. Today is the first day since leaving the hospital last weekend I have been able to sit up and type.

Wow, hope you have a speedy recovery Johnny!
 


I remember when I had heart bypass surgery back in '04 they had a piece of rope with knots every 6" or so, tied to the bottom of the bed that you used to pull yourself up with so as to avoid straining the stitches. Great fun, except the second day when I felt something go "clonk" in my chest. In panic I called the nurse and she said not to worry (yeah, right) so i asked the surgeon when he visited. He laughed, said it was just a joint popping back into place "probably from where he had had his knee against me"
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top