ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Just want to let you guys know, I really enjoy this thread. Such great work and I've long been a fan of circus history and equipment. Never was all that big on the actual show itself.
Here's my take on the Hippo wagon by Walther's.
Hey Johnny, looks amazing! Could you tell me how you did the chain, the ring on the corner of the wagon and 3-D skyboard and lower scrolling? Much improved appearance over mine!
Hey Johnny, looks amazing! Could you tell me how you did the chain, the ring on the corner of the wagon and 3-D skyboard and lower scrolling? Much improved appearance over mine!
CHAIN; I used small chain and twisted a small(hairlike) wire through it like you would tie a loaf of bread. this gave me a tightly twisted wire that I could insert into a hole drilled by a No.77 twist drill bit. I did this on both sides to hold the tongue up. CORNER RINGS; They are made the same way you do the chain only you use a 3mm jump ring found in Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Again drill a No.77 hole and insert the wire into it. SCROLLS; The scrolls are made from scroll work I've collected through the years from other models or long out of production pieces.
Thanks Johnny! I'm going to try that!
After I photograph the models, I use the picture to 'tweek' the scene. In this photo, I made a run out of and old 40' flat but I will replace it with an actual set of runs that will make the scene better and more realistic in photos.
I like it when you use a flatcar as a "run." I really like the generator wagon in the background!
In response to Joe's stake and chain wagon, here is how I did mine. I mounted the wagon on a truck and added the tie downs. The tie downs are made by drilling for and placing eye bolts along the bottom to tie the 'rope' to. I then drilled holes into the canvas to insert the other end of rope and acc'ed the rope.
Besides HO scale, I've also acquired a rather large collection of 3/4" scale models built in the 40's and 50's. Some of the wagons arrived from Florida in rather poor condition. Here is a small Tableux No.83 that I refurbished.
I really like the extra details you've added to those wagons! I'm going to start trying to work my way through my wagons with some of those details.
That 3/4" restoration looks amazing!
Hey Johnny,
Made a trip to Michael's...

Hey Johnny,
Made a trip to Michael's...
View attachment 33760
Nice score. The single strand wire on the right spool will yield the best results. You will be surprised at how such little things make the models 'pop'.
Joe, even thought the loaded flats on the highline are in the distance the rings on the wagons are noticeably present.
Here's an old time shot of the Ringling Bros. coaches in the yards when they owned the property. These are OOP Roundhouse kits in HO scale.
I'm just gonna share some pics of my 3/4" collection too. This is a picture of the elephant car for the show. I have 8 railroad cars for the show; 2 stocks and 6 flats.
In this view for comparison purposes, you can see that the builder, Charlie Spencer, actually made his own trucks and wheelsets from wood as well.
I'm looking forward to adding some of these details to some wagons soon.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)