ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
There has GOT to be a better way of gluing in clear plastic windows. Whenever I do it, no matter how small the amount of glue I use the windows “fog” up. I might as well build a building without the windows or paint over them.
What do you people do? Any advice?
Thanks.
Paul
Paul - what kind of glue are you using? If you are using a thin cyanoacrylate it will tend to wick and run. I use Microscale Krystal Klear to mount windows. It is a fairly thick consistency and dries clear if you do happen to get some on the glazing itself. Plus you can clean it off with water before it dries if you do make a mistake. You can also make small windows with it, although they do tend to look a little wavy. You can find more info on it
here.
Testors also makes a clear window cement.
Don't use Bob Smith super glue it crazes like crazy, especially when it get old. You can use new thick CA or one of the options mentioned above or a solvent like MEK or even white glue (PVA).
Paul, I use the Crystal clear. I have also used white glue as well.
A hobby shop that sells all things besides trains should have what is called Canopy Glue. Looks like a small round squeeze bottle of white Elmers. The RC guys use it to mount clear canopies on their planes. I've been using it for structure windows for years. Several small dots applied with a toothpick is all it takes. If it oozes out because you applied too much it dries clear although thick of course.
Testors Canopy Glue or Microscale Krystal Kleer. Either one works great, but krystal Kleer is easier to apply with a toothpick or small micro brush in tight places.
Thank you all for your help. Yesterday I bought some G-S "hypo" glue. My LHS guy said it's all he uses. It's not CA and it reminds me of the old style glue I used to build models when I was a kid.
I will make a list of all the glues ya'll have used and try them out. Appreciate your help.
Paul
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)