Wife Is Going To KILL Me!!!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


A good friend of mine is quite well off, (maybe a millionaire, I have no doubt.)
He dresses like a normal guy on the street, drives a normal pick up, and lives in a nice average size house.
His best advice yet?
Don't go out for coffee!
According to him it's the nickles and dimes that drain you over time, not the toys.
I don't think he's been to a hobby shop lately. :rolleyes:
 
I'm no where close to being a millionaire by no means. I would be lucky to make it to thousandaire today. But he is right. It is the small things that we don't think about that drains the wallet. Your out for the day and you need a drink, a meal, you buy this and that, and then another meal because you didn't take anything out for dinner. Before you know it you've dropped $100 for a day out.

OUCH!!!!:eek:
 
I'm no where close to being a millionaire by no means. I would be lucky to make it to thousandaire today. But he is right. It is the small things that we don't think about that drains the wallet. Your out for the day and you need a drink, a meal, you buy this and that, and then another meal because you didn't take anything out for dinner. Before you know it you've dropped $100 for a day out.

OUCH!!!!:eek:

Go to an outdoor fleamarket sometime! By the time you pay for the food there and the drinks there as well as a couple of snacks to and from the sale that adds up to a healthy sum! The last time we went to a sale at one of those things we brown bagged it and had all the drinks with us--we saved about $135!!

Just to add to this--if you factor in my quitting smoking and grabbing a java every dang time I went anywhere my monthly savings was around $225 a month!!:eek::eek:
 


Just to add to this--if you factor in my quitting smoking and grabbing a java every dang time I went anywhere my monthly savings was around $225 a month!!:eek::eek:

I roll (stuff to be more accurate) my own cigs, I can make 4 cartons for what it costs to buy one in the store.
 
Speaking of smoking, I've been using those electronic cigarettes for a few months now and my smoking is down to about five actual cigarettes a day from about a pack and a half. Putting aside health issues for now, I buy a carton of cigarettes a month at about $27 (Alabama is still a smoker friendly state) and one 10 ml nicotine refill bottle at $10. The original E-cigarette kit was $70. I was buying a carton a week at $27, so that's $108 a month. My cost for the E-cigarette kit was more than paid off in one month. I expect I'll be able to quit with a few months. The E-cigarettes are the best thing ever to come along for smokers. I've tried everything else to quit, including hypnosis, and this is the only thing that is working. It's another from of nicotine delivery system, like the patch, but you smoke it like a cigarette, so it satisfies all those psychological things we smokers like. Since there's no combusion, and the "smoke" is just propylene glycol from an atomizer, I also don't stink up the car (or me) like I used to. None of the 142 carcinogens in tobacco smoke either. Something to think about for us poor addicts, especially for you guys who live in $50 a carton states. :eek:
 
Go to an outdoor fleamarket sometime! By the time you pay for the food there and the drinks there as well as a couple of snacks to and from the sale that adds up to a healthy sum! The last time we went to a sale at one of those things we brown bagged it and had all the drinks with us--we saved about $135!!

Just to add to this--if you factor in my quitting smoking and grabbing a java every dang time I went anywhere my monthly savings was around $225 a month!!:eek::eek:

Car shows and swap meets are the same way. Im at a car show almost every weekend during the summer and I rarely if ever buy food from concession stands. I always have a cooler with food and beverages with me.
 
You guys don't have a hope. The Quebecers have successfully exported poutine to the upper USA where it is fast growing in popularity. It will soon spread like a virus, consuming all good intentions and discipline in your fair country. Be afraid....be very.....afraid. :D
 
You guys don't have a hope. The Quebecers have successfully exported poutine to the upper USA where it is fast growing in popularity. It will soon spread like a virus, consuming all good intentions and discipline in your fair country. Be afraid....be very.....afraid. :D

I've never had it and never will.
I did however eat chocolate cake with KFC gravy on it when I was a kid.
Maybe that explains some things....:rolleyes:
 


And for the love of God, DON'T BUY HER A TOASTER!!!

27 years ago... we were coming up on our 5th anniversary. We were talking about that date and what we might get each other. Our "old" toaster had just died the day before, so I commented that I was going to get her a new toaster. She replied to me, "You better not buy me a toaster!"

I'd already purchased her some very nice (and "real") jewelry... but since I tend to be kind of a joker... ;) of course, I went and bought her a toaster, and wrapped it up in nice gift paper.:D

Well, when our anniversary rolled around, I handed her the gift... she opened it... and the tears started rolling like a flood. :eek::( I immediately handed her the box with the diamonds... which helped a little.

And I learned a lesson the hard way -- don't kid around with things like birthdays and anniversaries!

Regards,
Tom


Yeh' I once bought my wife an electric razor for her birthday....lez'see that was 30-35 years ago.....Think she's forgotten it! not a chance every once in awhile she still Climbs up on that ol' nag runs me over with it!!!.
Tried explaining it to her......Honey I was a newly married 22 yr old, an a idiot.
Wait a darn min.I just remembered .....before we got married one Christmas she got me an electric razor...oh' thats right we were't married yet..big sigh!
 
More important, was this a second mark down? If you saved 20% then another 30% before the 40% You are speaking a woman's language. That means they paid you 10% to take it.
 
May my wife never sell my stuff for what she thinks I paid for it.

Seriously,
I'm lucky that my bride is very practical, a few years back we were re-doing the teak trim on our boat and when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said a new palm sander.
You should have seen the looks on the faces of the other wives when she opened it....as the ads says...priceless.

Dick
 
Back to the original subject, when is Dry Bridge Station closing? I've only been there once and I would like to go back before they are gone.

Is there much left to be worth a trip?
 
Back to the original subject, when is Dry Bridge Station closing? I've only been there once and I would like to go back before they are gone.

Is there much left to be worth a trip?

I don't know when his final closing date is. I called the owner yesterday to find out about a loco he had and it was still there. His comment to me a couple of weeks ago was "somebody might look at my store and think that a train store used to be here". I never visited the store before his "going-out-of-business" sale so I don't have anything to compare it to. He does have a lot of stuff left. All depends on what you want. I would make the trip and see. You can't beat it at 40% off if he does have what you want. Not to mention there are other places to shop and eat.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top