mydartswinger
Member
Just for kicks, why not discuss why we do what we do. Why do we choose model railroading as a hobby? What do we enjoy about it? How did we get into it?
For me, it started while living in London, England while my father was stationed there when I was in the 1st and 2nd grades in the late '80s and early '90's. My parent's had purchased a Hornby Intercity train set (HST 125 powered and dummy locomotive with a couple of passenger cars). Also, while living there, I was exposed for the first time to the Ringo Starr narrated Thomas the Tank Engine series. Teen years happened, and, as I expect is the case with most, I got out of trains for many years (about 15 years). What got rekindled that interest was a conversation about model trains with a longtime friend of mine. 6 months after that conversation, I'm about 3 months into building a 4x8 HO layout, and an active member of a model railroad club.
Why I do it? I can do it at home on my own, or at the club with fellow modelers. There's also nothing like the feeling of seeing your own creation take shape. Going from just a thought of doing it, to creating the track plan and landscape plans, to building the benchwork, and finally making it come to life from an idea and a few parts and raw materials. Doing something that actually has a lasting reward, not just a quick buzz or a "special trailer".
Just sitting there and watching my trains run my layout is relaxing. I can let my mind drift off to another world, MY world. A world where my problems are gone, I'm free to think as I choose, dream what I dare to dream, and thinking of how I can improve on a good thing.
It also allows me to meet and mingle with other like minded individuals.
Sure, I can get this from other hobbies, but few of those hobbies combine electrical, mechanical, and carpentry aptitudes with art and the ability to do your hobby inside regardless of the weather. Even fewer of these hobbies also have such a minimal risk of damage to their surroundings.
Why do you enjoy model railroading?
For me, it started while living in London, England while my father was stationed there when I was in the 1st and 2nd grades in the late '80s and early '90's. My parent's had purchased a Hornby Intercity train set (HST 125 powered and dummy locomotive with a couple of passenger cars). Also, while living there, I was exposed for the first time to the Ringo Starr narrated Thomas the Tank Engine series. Teen years happened, and, as I expect is the case with most, I got out of trains for many years (about 15 years). What got rekindled that interest was a conversation about model trains with a longtime friend of mine. 6 months after that conversation, I'm about 3 months into building a 4x8 HO layout, and an active member of a model railroad club.
Why I do it? I can do it at home on my own, or at the club with fellow modelers. There's also nothing like the feeling of seeing your own creation take shape. Going from just a thought of doing it, to creating the track plan and landscape plans, to building the benchwork, and finally making it come to life from an idea and a few parts and raw materials. Doing something that actually has a lasting reward, not just a quick buzz or a "special trailer".
Just sitting there and watching my trains run my layout is relaxing. I can let my mind drift off to another world, MY world. A world where my problems are gone, I'm free to think as I choose, dream what I dare to dream, and thinking of how I can improve on a good thing.
It also allows me to meet and mingle with other like minded individuals.
Sure, I can get this from other hobbies, but few of those hobbies combine electrical, mechanical, and carpentry aptitudes with art and the ability to do your hobby inside regardless of the weather. Even fewer of these hobbies also have such a minimal risk of damage to their surroundings.
Why do you enjoy model railroading?
