Who has the best how to DVD for landscaping a layout?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thefullgonzo

New Member
I am kind of new to the hobby, I've been working on a small layout (For about a year N scale) in a 8x10 room. It's a walk in style on 3 walls dbl main line (about 100ft of track). I have a good understanding of the mechanics, wiring, decoder install ect, but I am NOT artistic at all! I need a step by step DVD on how to finish hillsides, cuts in a hillside, grass, Rock outcroppings , ect.. I have used extruded foam for the hillsides and great stuff spray foam to create the topography just need to finish it. I do better with visual aids any input would be appreciated. It's not a proto layout but I am into modern stuff, I have EMD SD70ACes, auto racks, hoppers, gondolas, box cars ect. I am trying to recreate the foothills of central Calif, rolling hills limestone, granite outcroppings oak trees transitioning to conifers.. Thanks
 


Say Gonzo,
Scenery is something that each modeler needs to somewhat determine for themselves as to what is appropriate for the setting/s of their layout within the minds eye. I'm not sure if there is one particular DVD that is right for everyone as we each have our own tastes and dislikes.

Woodland Scenics has some very good free to watch how-to-videos to give you a good bases for what your reffering to, I think? But also be aware that you can intermix various techniques too as well as scenery types and styles depending on the size of your layout. My suggestion is look at a variety sources and the layout photos on the forum here is a great place to start. If you want to use Woodland Scenics products I'm a full line dealer and can save you a fair sum of money if that's a concern.
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/page/videos/?c=landscape

Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine - a free on-line subscription also offers many tips and techniques which are very good but again I use what I feel will fit or work for my layout and not necessarily everything Joe Fugate owner of MRH does.

As mentioned earlier, Paul Scoles, has a couple of really good videos out too but it's not all right for me either. If you happen to have a model railroad club fairly close by or a hobby shop where they put on clinics that can also add additional info.

Hope this has been of some help but the other posts and links are good too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy who models WM isn't a scenery guy either, so his layout has a lot of buildings, kind of like the edge of town kinda thing, with abandoned buildings, overpasses, some industries and lots of sidings. his 3 track mainline snakes all through his structures. He has about 40 'trees' made of dried seedams(?) Perhaps that may be an alternate approach?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top