Who built this model Loco?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Shazam75

New Member
Hey All

I have an Amtrak Dash8-32BHW model loco - but I am not sure who built this whether it was Athearn or Atlas?

All it says in the underbelly is Walthers Made In China.

It is HO Scale.

Amtrak530-1.jpg


Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
 
My guess it was made by Walthers in China. Walthers is the largest of the model railroad catalog houses and they own several brands as well as manufacture their own products. Typically they are decent quality, the newer ones being better than the runs of a few years ago.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good locomotive and rare paint scheme. I have seen it go for some big dollars on evil bay. It is a good runner too. It definitely is a Walthers.
 


The run this paint scheme was in was one of the older runs. They don't run very good, but they don't run terribly either. Their details are horrible though. Walthers stuff also has mood-swings as to whether they want to run good.

The Dash 8-32BHW was in the Trainline line and the Trainline line all had those terrible mood-swinging motors that don't run faster than 30 scale mph on a good day. (My friend has one of these and quite a few of the F40PHs. He bought the first one, thought it was defective, bought the second one, thought that one was defective too, bought a third one, thought it was defective, then bought a fourth one and realized that they were all like that then he bought a couple more for a future motor upgrade)
 
Well these run beautifully - actually I am selling this unit - if anyone is interested let me know - however I am in Australia so it may take a little while to get to the States ;)

Private Me an offer if anyone is interested - I can also send more pics.

Cheers!
 
Any idea how much these units would fetch? There is some slight damage to the handrails.

I noticed these units have directional lighting.
They come with Kadee Couplers.

Thanks!
 
I bought 2 of them at a train show a few years ago & paid $30.00 ea. Both ran real good, but, I didn't like the detailing(none) & traded them for some engines that I wanted.
2 weeks ago I saw the same 2 that I had & the guy was selling them for $45.00 ea. & both had the handrails missing.
Walthers has since built superb engines w/excellent running gear. Their detailing isn't as good as some others, but the price is right if you want a good engine.

Larry
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top