white led

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


flager

New Member
Hello I've got a white LED rated at 3.6 vollts max and 25ma, track voltage of 15 volts ac with a tcs T1 decder and need to know what size resistor to use. This will be for headlights. Thanks
 
If you can measure the light outputs on the T1, you could subtract the 3.3volts for the LED from that and divide by 25ma to get resistance. Or just use a 1K resistor.

I usually use NCE docoders and on the HO setting, they usually put out 13.2V. I subtract 3.3V for the LED and divide by the current, 20ma for the ones I used.

(13.2V-3.3V)/.020A=495ohm That makes them very bright and is pretty much the limit, you don't want to go any lower. Upping the resistance a little gives more margin for error and is not maxing out the LED. I like to use about 700ohm. It is still plenty bright.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top