ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Currently I don't have a layout,but I plan on running continuous running and switching,I model in HO Scale but considering going to N Scale for the probability of lack of space even when the wife and I rent a house with a basement,I model the Milwaukee Road using MP15AC's and SD40-2's for power and I plan on running 89' auto racks and piggy backs along with all other types of freight cars and a bay window caboose on the end.The one thing preventing me from going to N Scale is no early version SD40-2's for Milwaukee Road with the short fuel tanks they need to be shortened,I could get some one to do that,no MP15AC's in N Scale like in HO Scale,they would have to be kitbashed from Atlas's MP15DC to fit on the power chassis of the Atlas MP15DC.If I stay with HO Scale,I will have to shorten the layout to 16'x16' maximum size sticking with the u shaped design and changing the area modeled to from Ottumwa,Iowa to Davenport,Iowa and include the Oscar Meyer plant located by the John Donnell Stadium in downtown Davenport.If I go N Scale I would have to figure out how to decal the number boards on the MP15AC's.I look forward to seeing the progress on your layout.
Steve: You have done so much right in your modeling approach. I am one of the "get the trains rollin' and we will worry about that other stuff later" kind of guy. I do concern myself with good and good looking rail/trackwork and I like to employ signals. Consider yourself envied (especially for that minimum 16 x 16 foot space). My gut tells me that you will find a way to get N scale number boards figured out. Best of luck.
Thanks,Old Robert for the nice comments,I would probably do an N Scale layout in a 12'x12' u shaped layout with 20" radius on the main line and 15" radius on the branch line.The only items I may have trouble finding are early version SD40-2's for Milwaukee Road,I have searched e bay and none available and have not seen any lately.I would have to be very careful decaling the number boards on the MP15AC's since the lettering would be small in N Scale.
I would probably have to end up stripping the paint on the SD40-2 early version units and repaint them for Milwaukee Road.cutting down the fuel tank would be the hardest part,having to take apart the motor and drive train,I'm not that great at doing things like that and getting it put back together,so I would have someone do it for me.
Hello Steve: I am sure you know that KATO has a "mid production" SD 40 available now. Certainly could be painted for the Milwaukee Road. Maybe a little challenge to make it into the model you want but with all the swap meets that take place every year I bet you can find some old bodies/tanks to practice on for next to nothing. Keep us informed.
Old Fat Robert
Steve: Hello again. My mistake on my last post. KATO has the SD40-2 available in N Scale. You would have to re paint but that is certainly do able. I am sure you already these things but I want to be sure that I don't mislead you in any way.
I would try to find Union Pacific early version SD40-2's with dynamic brakes since they would be the easiest to strip and repaint,might get lucky and find some Milwaukee SD40-2's.
I missed Old Robert's expression of admiration three months ago. I am sorry, Robert. Thanks for your statement. Like all layouts, this one has some good points and bad, depending on one's experience and druthers. It is very much something for me to fiddle with over the next several years...I hope.
I'm working on a 10' x 21' layout with a contunueous folded dog bone style, at least on the end where the Horse Shoe Medow Depot is located and Ridge Crest Logging spur grade is located. That's the location of the Avitar pic which is at the East end of this area on the upper line. The rest of the run will be a loop that ties into the above. I have different elevations on the main line transitioning from 0" to 9" and this can be operated either Point-to-Point or a continueous run depending on the operation at hand. I will have a variety of track side industries to serve and I'm planning on dividing the layout into three main station stopes or maybe four, a little condensed but for turn of the Century equipment it should be long enough..
As has been mentioned, a continueous loop or even a reversing loop is advantageous for breaking in equipment but depending on the size even a Point-to-Point can be just fine also. It all depends on the space you have and what your design includes or will include?
My layout operates as a point to point between staging yards but also has continuous running as well.
This way I can just sit and watch them run, or I can have one or two trains run on their own while I run the locals and try to keep out of the way.
When I have people over for an ops session certain trains run the entire line one full time before heading into staging, this keeps things interesting to say the least.
My 12 X 38 plan is two continuous loops; neither are exclusive of another though so its one loop or the other. With the planned mines though it can be ran point to point as a branch line. Once finished switching the last mine I'll have to drag everything back down the line to the yard.
Both loops net about 150ft of run for either of them. Point to point would be double that considering out then back travel. The great part is I can be switching the mines while I have 'through freights' travel the loop(s). I have staging planned, but that will be the last thing I'd build into the layout (if I even get that far into it before moving for a new job or something).
Dave you'd make a great politician!
Wouldn't "no continuous loop except for open houses" mean that you have a continuous loop on the layout?
I'd vote for you!
Well, based on the title of this thread, I'd have to vote for point-to-point. I'm not aware of any real railroads that run in a continuous loop. I would favor a design that runs from Point A to Point B with a reversing loop or wye at either end. I suppose a loop could be made part of the 'unseen' layout in the event continuous operation is ever deemed desirable, but if you're looking for ultimate realism, ditch the loop and run it like a real railroad.
I don't know. Is the experience that you want to have standing at trackside while trains go by? If so, a continuous run might suit you better (but yes, the train will always be the same one, or two, or a few). And if you're the one running the train, how realistic is it to start out and reach your destination less than a minute later? The only way we can get a reasonable journey length on a model (most models, anyway) is by re-using our track several times.
Just a side note: if you don't have room for loops, wyes, or reverse loops, you can always nail down a circle of track on a 4X4 piece of plywood to use for loco break-in. Once your loco is broken in, slide the board under a bed or something.