Which wheels for OLD Athearn Locos?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


brad.p

Lost between ATSF & BNSF
I have a number of the older Athearn locos (about 10-15 years old) and have read that it makes a large improvement if one replaces the standard Athearn wheels with nickel silver wheels like those made by Northwest Short Line.

I would appreciate your comments on this and if a change is recommended, what wheels should I be looking at as I saw on the Walthers website that there is a long list of NWSL wheels? Are there other wheels which are better than NWSL? Obviously, with about 15 locos to do (mostly 6 axle requiring 12 wheels each), I would prefer not to spend a fortune on this upgrade but also would like to improve on the running if possible.
 
JayBee or NWSL are winner's in my eye. Depending on the unit, you need either a 40" or 42" stub end half axle.

NWSL's chart describes it as a "Blunt, Half Axle", code 110 is standard HO scale tread.
 
Oh, NWSL stock numbers:
37139-4 or 37141-4 - 40" code 110 half axle, 4X
37140-4 or 37142-4 - 42" code 110 half axle, 4X

From chart 7.2 in their site.

Not sure what the difference is but you can contact NWSL and they'll help you.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top