Which tsunami?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have 3 Kato 80 macs and 2 90 macs (all in Conrail). I was wondering if the 710 Ace sound unit would be best for them? Thanks in advance.
 


i'm not engine sound buff, so perhaps someone will come up with better answer. but from what i read SD80 uses 20Cyl prime-mover diesel while SD90 uses 16cylinder one. i would think it will sound at least somewhat different. then again perhaps different operating RPM might make it close enough.

i did lots of youtube surfing, listening to various ES44 to figure out if the sound on intermountain model is correct (imho close enough). i would think you could do the same.
good luck and post your finding
 
i use the 710 tsunami decoder for my 90macs. I doubt soundtraxx is going to make a 20cyl version. I mean the SD45 sounds different from the SD40-2, but everyone uses the regular 645 turbo sound decoder for the SD45.
 
i use the 710 tsunami decoder for my 90macs. I doubt soundtraxx is going to make a 20cyl version. I mean the SD45 sounds different from the SD40-2, but everyone uses the regular 645 turbo sound decoder for the SD45.

I wonder, with the amount of SD45's on the market and being able to record a SD80 mac, why they haven't done it. Not enough money to be made. Kato SD45's are everywhere. Rant over.
 
The Soundtraxx website shows the standard 710 motor/sound decoder #827103 being the sound for the sd80mac. #827115 would probably work too.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000.php#bot

Here's some EMD 710 info I found...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_710

I think the answer is, there's no perfect tsunami for a SD80mac. And unfortunately, with so few sd80macs built protypically, i doubt youll get any closer. Even in the modelrailroad world they are pretty rare.
 
Tsunami or ESU

If you know anyone who has a ESU \ Loksound decoder and or programer , you can custom build your sound scheme . HTTP://www.ESU.EU/EN . They have several sound schemes ready for download in the SD45 & SD80mac .
 


Another option would be to use a digitrax sound decoder and find someone with their programmer. digitrax are way cheaper than loks and far more common for someone to be able to have a custom programmer and sd80 soundfile.
 
And a Windows computer (Soundloader will not work on Mac).

Not according to their website.


  • Programs CV’s for most DCC decoders
  • LocoNet MS100 mode with Fully Buffered Input and Output data
  • Runs on Windows XP, Vista and 2000.
  • Runs on Mac OS 10.4/10.5 with JMRI.
  • No external power needed for MS100 mode.
This was on the website listed under features. There are many more features listed, I just didn't copy them all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know the PR-2 Soundloader doesn't support Mac. At least there's nothing in the product description listed other than windows xp & vista.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top